Michigan OCI 2015

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273145
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Michigan OCI 2015

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 20, 2015 12:46 pm

Missed:
Cahill at 5
Hughes Hubbard at 10
Clifford Chance at 13
Cravath at 20
WilmerHale at 21
Weil at 22
Willikie at 24
Linklaters at 27
SullCrom at 29
Debevoise at 30

Yeah NYC appears to be a bit more competitive this year. Got 100% of my LA/SF bids, missed all of these in NY.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273145
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Michigan OCI 2015

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 20, 2015 1:15 pm

Bid all NYC firms and missed:

Jones Day at 2 (gotta be kidding me...right?)
Cahill at 6
Clifford at 13
Freshfields at 20
Davis Polk at 21
Willkie Farr at 22
Skadden at 25
Goodwin Procter at 27
Cravath at 28
WilmerHale at 29
SullCrom at 30

Having 19 interviews isn't bad, but I thought I'd be getting more interviews than this... Yeah I guess people are gunning really hard for NYC market this year :(

Anonymous User
Posts: 273145
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Michigan OCI 2015

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 20, 2015 2:02 pm

I know OCP mentioned that those with higher GPAs that missed on firms during bidding should just email them - should we be contacting the specific Michigan EIW interviewer and trying to fit those in while they're in town, or should we just treat those firms like any other mass mail and just contact each firm's recruiting office?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273145
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Michigan OCI 2015

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 20, 2015 3:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Bid all NYC firms and missed:

Jones Day at 2 (gotta be kidding me...right?)
Cahill at 6
Clifford at 13
Freshfields at 20
Davis Polk at 21
Willkie Farr at 22
Skadden at 25
Goodwin Procter at 27
Cravath at 28
WilmerHale at 29
SullCrom at 30

Having 19 interviews isn't bad, but I thought I'd be getting more interviews than this... Yeah I guess people are gunning really hard for NYC market this year :(


Edit.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Mon Jul 20, 2015 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Vexed
Posts: 261
Joined: Sat Feb 16, 2013 2:55 pm

Re: Michigan OCI 2015

Postby Vexed » Mon Jul 20, 2015 4:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Bid all NYC firms and missed:

Jones Day at 2 (gotta be kidding me...right?)
Cahill at 6
Clifford at 13
Freshfields at 20
Davis Polk at 21
Willkie Farr at 22
Skadden at 25
Goodwin Procter at 27
Cravath at 28
WilmerHale at 29
SullCrom at 30

Having 19 interviews isn't bad, but I thought I'd be getting more interviews than this... Yeah I guess people are gunning really hard for NYC market this year :(


Can confirm. Bid only CA and Chicago and got all 30 interviews, which I didn't even think was possible.


I thought Symplicity capped at 25?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273145
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Michigan OCI 2015

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 20, 2015 4:47 pm

Vexed wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Bid all NYC firms and missed:

Jones Day at 2 (gotta be kidding me...right?)
Cahill at 6
Clifford at 13
Freshfields at 20
Davis Polk at 21
Willkie Farr at 22
Skadden at 25
Goodwin Procter at 27
Cravath at 28
WilmerHale at 29
SullCrom at 30

Having 19 interviews isn't bad, but I thought I'd be getting more interviews than this... Yeah I guess people are gunning really hard for NYC market this year :(


Can confirm. Bid only CA and Chicago and got all 30 interviews, which I didn't even think was possible.


I thought Symplicity capped at 25?


You're right, I'm just dumb. Actually got 23.

HP5450
Posts: 49
Joined: Fri Feb 21, 2014 5:37 pm

Re: Michigan OCI 2015

Postby HP5450 » Tue Jul 21, 2015 6:12 am

Anonymous User wrote:I know OCP mentioned that those with higher GPAs that missed on firms during bidding should just email them - should we be contacting the specific Michigan EIW interviewer and trying to fit those in while they're in town, or should we just treat those firms like any other mass mail and just contact each firm's recruiting office?

You should contact them and say, Hi, I'm a rising 2L at Michigan. I'm really interested in your firm cause blah blah blah. I bid on an OCI slot with your firm, but I did not get an interview. I was wondering if there was a way to speak with whomever is visiting Michigan none the less.

If you're in the firm's city, you should bring that up and say you would also be willing to visit their office fora screener.

If your grades are good, you should attach a resume and transcript.

Firms that go to OCI but interview Michigan students pre-OCI include: Skadden, DPW, Cleary, Debevoise, and probably many more.

Edit: must have been drunk
Last edited by HP5450 on Fri Jul 24, 2015 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273145
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Michigan OCI 2015

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 22, 2015 9:17 am

Anyone see movement after the first day of cancellations?

umichman
Posts: 188
Joined: Sun Nov 03, 2013 11:56 am

Re: Michigan OCI 2015

Postby umichman » Wed Jul 22, 2015 11:56 am

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone see movement after the first day of cancellations?

Yup I got one of my firms added

User avatar
jrthor10
Posts: 364
Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:33 am

Re: Michigan OCI 2015

Postby jrthor10 » Fri Jul 24, 2015 2:52 pm

Just FYI:

Skadden is purposefully having less interview slots for NYC available at OCI and is trying to interview people ahead of time in the city. So if you're interested in Skadden but you didn't get an interview, you should reach out to a current summer or a recruiting contact at the firm to set something up.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273145
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Michigan OCI 2015

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 24, 2015 2:55 pm

what about Skadden Wilmington?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273145
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Michigan OCI 2015

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 24, 2015 3:18 pm

Is Skadden DC is also interviewing ahead of OCI?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273145
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Michigan OCI 2015

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 24, 2015 3:23 pm

Goddamn this year's class loves it some Skadden.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273145
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Michigan OCI 2015

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 24, 2015 10:48 pm

Based on my interviewing experience and so forth.

Getting to know firms in one word:
Wachtell: Elite
Cravath: Pretentious
Skadden: Drunk
Sull Crom: Finance
DPW: Formal
Simpson: Bro
Kirkland: Slave
Cleary: Quirky
Weil: Bankruptcy
Latham: Cali
Gibson: Appellate
Covington: Washington
Paul Weiss: Lit
Quinn: Shorts
Debevoise: Nerd
Sidley: Chicago
W&C: Selective
Jones Day: Midwest

Anonymous User
Posts: 273145
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Michigan OCI 2015

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 28, 2015 3:09 pm

is anyone actually going to ask me for references at oci?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273145
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Michigan OCI 2015

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 28, 2015 3:23 pm

No, but you can make a good impression by giving employers a simple folder or something similar with references, resume, and a writing sample. Most firms will trash it, but just the act itself can make a good impression.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273145
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Michigan OCI 2015

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 29, 2015 3:14 am

For firms that have two names listed on our Symplicity schedule, are those just the options for who our interviewer will be or are we actually being interviewed by two people at once?

User avatar
UnamSanctam
Posts: 7165
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:17 am

Re: Michigan OCI 2015

Postby UnamSanctam » Wed Jul 29, 2015 6:35 am

Most OCI interviews are two people from the firm occasionally you will have one or three

Anonymous User
Posts: 273145
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Michigan OCI 2015

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 29, 2015 3:19 pm

Anyone have any sense of the GPA range for Perkins Coie? I've heard that they are more GPA conscious, but can't find any data anywhere.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273145
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Michigan OCI 2015

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:34 pm

Perkins COie if you're bidding the PNW locations will be the most grade selective in the region. I can't speak to their other offices

CTT
Posts: 117
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:37 am

Re: Michigan OCI 2015

Postby CTT » Wed Jul 29, 2015 11:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:No, but you can make a good impression by giving employers a simple folder or something similar with references, resume, and a writing sample. Most firms will trash it, but just the act itself can make a good impression.

Make a good impression by handing it to them with a paperclip, not an entire folder.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273145
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Michigan OCI 2015

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 30, 2015 10:22 am

Mostly for older students. Let's say interview with Chicago and Detroit firms on Tuesday. In general what do time lines look like to hear if you got a cb?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273145
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Michigan OCI 2015

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 30, 2015 12:54 pm

What all do we bring to a screen? Resume+transcripts? Are we supposed to print out 19 copies of writing samples and references too?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273145
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Michigan OCI 2015

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 30, 2015 3:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:What all do we bring to a screen? Resume+transcripts? Are we supposed to print out 19 copies of writing samples and references too?


The interview info on Symplicity tells you what to bring (OCI -> Scheduled Interviews -> click on the date). Considering that none of the firms have your transcript before the interview, you should probably have 1 copy/interview, plus some extras (OCP prints them for you) if you're running through hospitality suites/doing day-of sign-ups.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273145
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Michigan OCI 2015

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 30, 2015 3:55 pm

^I'm the anon directly above--thanks!




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.