Approximately top 3% at T1

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Approximately top 3% at T1

Postby Anonymous User » Sun May 31, 2015 7:24 pm

Hey Guys:

I just wanted to know what are the chances of getting a V5 or v10 SA next summer with the following credentials:

1. Evening Student working at a Law Firm during the school year.
2. SA at a BigLaw firm in NY this summer

Is it tough from a T! school located in NY that's not CCN?

Thanks to all responses in advance.

CanadianWolf

Re: Approximately top 3% at T1

Postby CanadianWolf » Sun May 31, 2015 7:28 pm

Otherwise known as Fordham ?

You should get better responses if folks know your current law school.

rpupkin

Postby rpupkin » Sun May 31, 2015 7:35 pm

Why do you want to work at a V5 or V10?

philepistemer

Postby philepistemer » Sun May 31, 2015 7:44 pm

Assuming you go to Fordham, you might have trouble getting a V1 job, but otherwise you have a very good chance at getting multiple v10 offers.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun May 31, 2015 8:31 pm

Yes, I'm at Fordham.

Well working at a V5 or V10, is the equivalent to going to a T-14 school. If i have the grades, then why not aspire to work at the most prestigious firm that I can?

I just wanted to know if Cravath, Cleary, S&C, Gibson Dunn, etc. are in play for me.

Also I'm an URM Male.

rpupkin

Postby rpupkin » Sun May 31, 2015 8:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Yes, I'm at Fordham.

Well working at a V5 or V10, is the equivalent to going to a T-14 school. If i have the grades, then why not aspire to work at the most prestigious firm that I can?

But it's not like going to a T14. If you're interested in litigation, for example, there are probably more "prestigious" firms between V11 and V20 than there are between V1 and V10. Some of those V10 firms have particularly horrible hours and yet pay the same as dozens of other lower-ranked firms. Stop thinking about Vault rankings as a proxy for prestige.

In any event, a URM who is top 3% at Fordham is in a great position. Unless you're extremely awkward, you're probably a shoe-in for a "V5" or "V10."

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 01, 2015 6:45 am

Yes, I guess you are right in terms of the more prestigious litigation firms being in the range of V11-V20, which are all great firms.

However, I am interested in transactional work( RE/ Corporate) I have tried litigation in the past and it's not my cup of tea.

I'd like to thank everyone for their input so far, and would appreciate any further input.

Thanks.

Monochromatic Oeuvre

Postby Monochromatic Oeuvre » Sat Jun 06, 2015 4:14 pm

I just wanted to know if Cravath, Cleary, S&C, Gibson Dunn, etc. are in play for me.

Also I'm an URM Male.

I'd just like to illustrate for everyone who hasn't done OCI that this is the exact opposite of how you should think about your career. HTH.

lawschoolftw

Postby lawschoolftw » Sat Jun 06, 2015 5:17 pm

Monochromatic Oeuvre wrote:

Also I'm an URM Male.

I'd just like to illustrate for everyone who hasn't done OCI that this is the exact opposite of how you should think about your career. HTH.

Agreed. This is a really hard concept for me to understand. You're going to spend the next two to three years at this place and you're going to decide this based on arbitrary rankings?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jun 07, 2015 11:48 am

If you want to do transactional in NYC than you are taking exactly the right approach. Vault almost exactly tracks NY transactional rankings. Yes, you're competitive everywhere but Wachtell. If you really want to do RE that will narrow the pool a bit - you'll be targeting Cleary, Simpson, Skadden and S&C. Good luck!

Monochromatic Oeuvre

Postby Monochromatic Oeuvre » Sat Jun 13, 2015 10:30 am

Anonymous User wrote:If you want to do transactional in NYC than you are taking exactly the right approach. Vault almost exactly tracks NY transactional rankings. Yes, you're competitive everywhere but Wachtell. If you really want to do RE that will narrow the pool a bit - you'll be targeting Cleary, Simpson, Skadden and S&C. Good luck!

No, not necessarily. It's highly area-specific. For some areas, yes, you'd want V10. But if you wanted debt finance and you weren't considering Cahill, or wanting capital markets and weren't considering Cadwalader, I'd think you were dumb.

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Sat Jun 13, 2015 1:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:If you want to do transactional in NYC than you are taking exactly the right approach. Vault almost exactly tracks NY transactional rankings. Yes, you're competitive everywhere but Wachtell. If you really want to do RE that will narrow the pool a bit - you'll be targeting Cleary, Simpson, Skadden and S&C. Good luck!

No, not necessarily. It's highly area-specific. For some areas, yes, you'd want V10. But if you wanted debt finance and you weren't considering Cahill, or wanting capital markets and weren't considering Cadwalader, I'd think you were dumb.

eh. I wouldn't tell anyone to consider working for cadwalader if they could go to other good firms

cahill is under-appreciated and under-selected, probably in part due to everyone's hang up on vault

wons

Postby wons » Sat Jun 13, 2015 5:36 pm

Wow. I try to stay out of these threads but man this is bad advice. Anyone who picks Cahill for debt finance deserves their 4 miserable years running the same deal over and over and over and over again. And picking Cadwalader if you have any other options - including changing tires at the local gas station - is madness.

landshoes
is that cool?

Postby landshoes » Sun Jun 14, 2015 9:41 am

jbagelboy wrote:

eh. I wouldn't tell anyone to consider working for cadwalader if they could go to other good firms

cahill is under-appreciated and under-selected, probably in part due to everyone's hang up on vault

Why not cadwalader?

Monochromatic Oeuvre

Postby Monochromatic Oeuvre » Mon Jun 15, 2015 7:04 pm

wons wrote:

Wow. I try to stay out of these threads but man this is bad advice. Anyone who picks Cahill for debt finance deserves their 4 miserable years running the same deal over and over and over and over again. And picking Cadwalader if you have any other options - including changing tires at the local gas station - is madness.

Whether you would be miserable at these firms, or whether a 22-year-old could know that their life passion is capital markets or whatever, is a different question from whether they are as strong as any of the V10 in a particular area. And anyway it's not like Skadden associates are shitting rainbows.

Return to “Legal Employment”