Patent Bar coursework that is eligible Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
CAWondering86

New

Patent Bar coursework that is eligible

Post by CAWondering86 » Fri May 29, 2015 2:49 pm

Hey guys. I was wondering whether you had any input on this, but I'm an Applied Math major from Michigan undergrad, and looking into the option 4 area of taking the patent bar. I've taken a fair bit of computer science courses as they crossed into my Math major as electives.

I'm 4 credits shy of the 40 requirement, and there is one course called EECS 203 - Discrete Math. Is there anyway to find out if this could push up me over the hump to be eligible? By the way I've taken the 8 credits of physics required.

Thanks.

Dr. Review

Gold

Re: Patent Bar coursework that is eligible

Post by Dr. Review » Fri May 29, 2015 3:04 pm

USPTO wrote:iv. Option 4: 40 semester hours in a combination consisting of the following:
8 semester hours of chemistry or 8 semester hours of physics, and
32 semester hours of chemistry, physics, biology, botany, microbiology, molecular biology, or engineering. (For Computer Science, see other acceptable course work.)

The 8 semester hours of chemistry or 8 semester hours of physics must be obtained in two sequential courses, each course including a lab. Only courses for science or engineering majors will be accepted. For Computer Science, see other "Other Acceptable Course Work."

All acceptable coursework for Options 2 and 4 must be for science or engineering majors.
I am inclined to think that discrete math would not fall under any of the bolded categories. Additionally, if you are an applied math major, you will want to make sure that the other 28 hours are from those categories and are courses intended for science or engineering majors, and not math majors.

CAWondering86

New

Post by CAWondering86 » Fri May 29, 2015 3:25 pm

I was wondering whether I could send in my transcript to a resource to see whether I am eligible. My hunch is discrete math would not fall under that penumbra too. The only hope I had was that it was meant for Computer Engineers and Computer Science Engineers at our school.

Dr. Review

Gold

Post by Dr. Review » Fri May 29, 2015 3:33 pm

CAWondering86 wrote:I was wondering whether I could send in my transcript to a resource to see whether I am eligible. My hunch is discrete math would not fall under that penumbra too. The only hope I had was that it was meant for Computer Engineers and Computer Science Engineers at our school.
The requirements for Computer Engineering/Computer Science make it sound like a no-go as well:
computer science courses that stress theoretical foundations, analysis, and design, and include substantial laboratory work, including software development will be accepted. Such courses include the representation and transformation of information structures, the theoretical models for such representations and transformations, basic coverage of algorithms, data structures, software design with a laboratory, programming languages with a laboratory, and computer organization and architecture. Other acceptable courses in computer science include artificial intelligence and robotics, networking, linear circuits, logic circuits, operating systems, and software methodology and engineering. However, the courses may not be substituted for the eight semester hours of chemistry or physics required under Option 4.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”