Interview again as a 3L.

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Interview again as a 3L.

Postby Anonymous User » Fri May 29, 2015 1:49 pm

2L summering in a secondary market right now. I turned down big law offers in Chicago and NYC but I would like to re-interview at the firms which offered me. When is the right time to reach out to their recruiting about interviews? When I declined the offer they said they would be open to me interviewing again as a 3L, but they didn't give a timeline.

Anonymous User

Re: Interview again as a 3L.

Postby Anonymous User » Fri May 29, 2015 6:19 pm

Strongly recommend ASAP. First: why would you wait? Second: earlier you reach out, more it looks like you just changed your mind and you weren't no-offered (or told no-offer might be forthcoming).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri May 29, 2015 6:22 pm

I'd recommend still going through your summer focused on getting this offer. I don't know any no offers who landed something, but know many who switched firms. The fact these places offered you before is promising.

UMich11

Postby UMich11 » Sat May 30, 2015 5:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'd recommend still going through your summer focused on getting this offer. I don't know any no offers who landed something, but know many who switched firms. The fact these places offered you before is promising.

so when would you suggest reaching out? I can't get out there to interview until at least August 1, assuming they hold true to their opening to re-interview.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat May 30, 2015 6:37 pm

If you're sure you'd do it why not do it now? I'd each out to the contact you're closest with - wouldn't even have to send resume. I don't think I'd just apply. The number of apps these places get may makw it easy to get lost in the pile. Something to consider is that firms hire summers expecting them to be the incoming juniors so you may be banking on a no-offer/someone leaving.

Because firms hire based on fit most people wind up becoming friends with the other summers, and lawyers. It's possible there'll be no real 3l market but telling you to apply is beneficial to them as you're there if they need you. Again, I'd be primarily focused on the current firm and analyzing whether you have a grass is greener mentality. It's only been 2 weeks.

Return to “Legal Employment”