Bay Area Diversity Fair 2015

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

How do you feel about the term hella?

Hella love it
17
57%
Hella hate it
13
43%
 
Total votes: 30

Anonymous User
Posts: 273179
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Bay Area Diversity Fair 2015

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 15, 2015 4:18 pm

Hoping for at least one pre-select

School: DPV
Rank: below median
Ties to Bay Area: Yes
IP: No
URM/Affiliation: Yes

# of bids: 18
# of Pre-Selects:
# of Alternates:

buddhabelly
Posts: 71
Joined: Sat Aug 02, 2014 3:44 am

Re: Bay Area Diversity Fair 2015

Postby buddhabelly » Mon Jun 15, 2015 11:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:School: DPV



DPV is the new MPV??


School: MPV
Rank: median or higher (still waiting on a grade)
Ties to Bay Area: Yes
IP: No
URM/Affiliation: Great diversity 'softs'. Asian.

# of bids: 27
# of Pre-Selects:
# of Alternates

buddhabelly
Posts: 71
Joined: Sat Aug 02, 2014 3:44 am

Re: Bay Area Diversity Fair 2015

Postby buddhabelly » Mon Jun 15, 2015 11:44 pm

What was last year's callback ratio on the pre-selects? Seems like it should be high since they already like you and all you have to do is not fuck up the interview right?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273179
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Bay Area Diversity Fair 2015

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jun 16, 2015 5:06 am

According to the website, 323 students were interviewed and there were 79 offers. However, it could be the case that some top 1% Stanford, law review, baby-saving, Nobel-prize winning student got a lot of these offers. Hopefully, that's not the case.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273179
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Bay Area Diversity Fair 2015

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jun 17, 2015 7:31 pm

When do our materials "lock in?" As of early this morning you could still update your resume and transcripts, but the timeline indicates that firms get our packets today. Are we okay to update materials up until midnight tonight?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273179
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Bay Area Diversity Fair 2015

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jun 17, 2015 8:04 pm

I hope so, I updated my transcripts today.

CCN, top 3-5%, 10 bids. Hoping to get my top 5 or so.

User avatar
goden
Posts: 2268
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:52 pm

Re: Bay Area Diversity Fair 2015

Postby goden » Thu Jun 18, 2015 1:04 pm

buddhabelly wrote:What was last year's callback ratio on the pre-selects? Seems like it should be high since they already like you and all you have to do is not fuck up the interview right?

Nah man there might be like 1 or 2 callback spots among 15 preselects. The ratio is probably higher if you wait for your own school's OCI.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273179
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Bay Area Diversity Fair 2015

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 18, 2015 1:25 pm

goden wrote:
buddhabelly wrote:What was last year's callback ratio on the pre-selects? Seems like it should be high since they already like you and all you have to do is not fuck up the interview right?

Nah man there might be like 1 or 2 callback spots among 15 preselects. The ratio is probably higher if you wait for your own school's OCI.


So should you wait then, if you were to get a preselect from a firm that only wants you to interview once?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273179
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Bay Area Diversity Fair 2015

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 18, 2015 5:56 pm

Generic WSGR on campus recruiting email just now. Anyone else get it? Good sign? Bad sign? No sign? Hyper-analyzing?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273179
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Bay Area Diversity Fair 2015

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 22, 2015 9:22 pm

I am new to this lottery system. I will have to fly to SF if selected for interviews. It will cost me too much in July when I know whether I am selected for an interview.

My question is if anyone is guaranteed to get at least one interview spot for this diversity fair. I have a low shot at getting one.

User avatar
goden
Posts: 2268
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:52 pm

Re: Bay Area Diversity Fair 2015

Postby goden » Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:10 am

Anonymous User wrote:
goden wrote:
buddhabelly wrote:What was last year's callback ratio on the pre-selects? Seems like it should be high since they already like you and all you have to do is not fuck up the interview right?

Nah man there might be like 1 or 2 callback spots among 15 preselects. The ratio is probably higher if you wait for your own school's OCI.


So should you wait then, if you were to get a preselect from a firm that only wants you to interview once?

I would, if you are confident you will be able to interview with them at your own oci

User avatar
goden
Posts: 2268
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:52 pm

Re: Bay Area Diversity Fair 2015

Postby goden » Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:10 am

Anonymous User wrote:I am new to this lottery system. I will have to fly to SF if selected for interviews. It will cost me too much in July when I know whether I am selected for an interview.

My question is if anyone is guaranteed to get at least one interview spot for this diversity fair. I have a low shot at getting one.

You could get zero

Anonymous User
Posts: 273179
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Bay Area Diversity Fair 2015

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jun 27, 2015 2:08 pm

Hey all,

I was looking at the timeline on the website for the fair, and I want to get something clarified. It says that the preselect period starts on June 29th, does this basically mean if you are selected for an interview by a firm you will be notified on that date? Essentially, is it fair to assume that if you get 5 preselects, that means that's all you will get and if you get 0 preselects on that date it means you will not be getting any screener interviews?

Thanks in advance!

Anonymous User
Posts: 273179
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Bay Area Diversity Fair 2015

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jun 28, 2015 10:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Hey all,

I was looking at the timeline on the website for the fair, and I want to get something clarified. It says that the preselect period starts on June 29th, does this basically mean if you are selected for an interview by a firm you will be notified on that date? Essentially, is it fair to assume that if you get 5 preselects, that means that's all you will get and if you get 0 preselects on that date it means you will not be getting any screener interviews?

Thanks in advance!


There's still a chance you can get a screener via their lottery system.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273179
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Bay Area Diversity Fair 2015

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:54 am

School: MVP
Rank: top ~15%
Ties to Bay Area: Yes
IP: ish
URM/Affiliation: No

# of bids: 20
# of Pre-Selects: 12
# of Alternates: 1

Anonymous User
Posts: 273179
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Bay Area Diversity Fair 2015

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 29, 2015 6:15 am

Anonymous User wrote:School: MVP
Rank: top ~15%
Ties to Bay Area: Yes
IP: ish
URM/Affiliation: No

# of bids: 20
# of Pre-Selects: 12
# of Alternates: 1


You get your info already?
Does that mean I didn't get any preselects?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273179
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Bay Area Diversity Fair 2015

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 29, 2015 8:05 am

T20 top 1/3
IP: No.
Ties: No.
1 alternate.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273179
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Bay Area Diversity Fair 2015

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 29, 2015 9:58 am

School: T7-8
Rank: ~median
Ties to Bay Area: Yes, strong
IP: No
URM/Affiliation: No

# of bids: 25
# of Pre-Selects: 2
# of Alternates: 2

Anonymous User
Posts: 273179
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Bay Area Diversity Fair 2015

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 29, 2015 10:34 am

Welp guess I struck out.

Is it worth going to SF for any interviews I may get in the lottery? I assume lottery interviews get no callbacks and are just cursory.

Would your opinion change if I was going to SF anyway but going for this fair would mean a couple hundred dollars in hotel bookings?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273179
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Bay Area Diversity Fair 2015

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 29, 2015 10:37 am

School: T20
Rank: not ranked (probably 35-40%)
Ties to Bay Area?: yes
IP?: ish
URM/Affiliation?: non-URM diverse

# of bids: 17
# of Pre-Selects: 1
# of Alternates: 2

anyone know when the lottery process takes place? i'm on the fence as to whether just what i have right now is worth booking a flight across the country (i'm in NYC this summer).

buddhabelly
Posts: 71
Joined: Sat Aug 02, 2014 3:44 am

.

Postby buddhabelly » Mon Jun 29, 2015 10:51 am

.
Last edited by buddhabelly on Tue Jan 12, 2016 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273179
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Bay Area Diversity Fair 2015

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 29, 2015 11:22 am

School: T14
Rank: Below median, perhaps ~top 66%
Ties to Bay Area?: Yes
IP?: No
URM/Affiliation?: Asian

# of bids: 25
# of Pre-Selects: 2
# of Alternates: 0

Anonymous User
Posts: 273179
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Bay Area Diversity Fair 2015

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 29, 2015 11:27 am

Last year it seemed like more preselects appeared over the course of the day.

Let's compile a list of which firms have made selections so far:

Orrick
Goodwin Procter
Farella Braun
Lieff Cabraser
San Mateo DA

Please comment with more!

Anonymous User
Posts: 273179
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Bay Area Diversity Fair 2015

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 29, 2015 11:29 am

.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Mon Jun 29, 2015 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273179
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Bay Area Diversity Fair 2015

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 29, 2015 11:31 am

Anonymous User wrote:Welp guess I struck out.

Is it worth going to SF for any interviews I may get in the lottery? I assume lottery interviews get no callbacks and are just cursory.

Would your opinion change if I was going to SF anyway but going for this fair would mean a couple hundred dollars in hotel bookings?


Why do you assume that lottery interviews get no callbacks? Sure they didn't preselect you but they had a limited number of screeners to give out, and you could hit it out of the park at an interview obtained through the lottery

Look into Airbnb if you do get interviews and need cheaper housing




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.