C&F Addendum Help

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: C&F Addendum Help

Postby Anonymous User » Wed May 27, 2015 11:07 pm

I don't hold any resentment towards my school. I wholly deserved what I got and harbor no ill will towards whatsoever against those who initiated proceedings against me.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed May 27, 2015 11:15 pm

Gross violations of FERPA? You don't have to speak the language to anyone here. We're not C&F. This sounds like Frank Costanza saying serenity now serenity now till he snaps and breaks all the computers. You could hate someone, feel they screwed you and still say you're sorry and that you accept full blame. Welcome to the middle class - that's what our role is. What percentage of the wife beaters who get through c&f do you think truly don't blame their wives for anything? The better question is has there been one?
Last edited by Anonymous User on Wed May 27, 2015 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed May 27, 2015 11:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I don't hold any resentment towards my school. I wholly deserved what I got and harbor no ill will towards whatsoever against those who initiated proceedings against me.

Why do you assume that people will think you are holding some type of grudge against these people?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed May 27, 2015 11:20 pm

I don't hold a grudge against anyone at the school. I take 100% responsibility for my actions.

Just because I am hiring an attorney to help me get the educational records I am entitled to doesn't mean I harbor resentment towards the school. Have you even read FERPA?

AReasonableMan

Postby AReasonableMan » Wed May 27, 2015 11:20 pm

If your whole thing is trying to get them to think you're just a regular bloke when medicated, you don't want to have the longest addendum in school history. Charlie Manson could apply to law school with a shorter addendum.
Last edited by AReasonableMan on Thu May 28, 2015 2:00 pm, edited 9 times in total.

BearLaw

Postby BearLaw » Wed May 27, 2015 11:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I don't hold any resentment towards my school. I wholly deserved what I got and harbor no ill will towards whatsoever against those who initiated proceedings against me.

Why do you assume that people will think you are holding some type of grudge against these people?

More importantly, what basis would you have for holding such a grudge? You acted in a certain way, they reacted to protect the campus/school at large. Neither of you knew you had an underlying medical issue at the time. Ergo, no basis for ill will either way.

Making such a statement come across strongly as though you do, passively, hold just such a grudge.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed May 27, 2015 11:25 pm

Again, I DO NOT HOLD A GRUDGE! I am so ashamed of my misconduct that I can't look at myself in the mirror. My predicament is 100% my fault, and I take full responsibility for it. Not a day goes by that I don't feel regret and remorse over what I did.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu May 28, 2015 9:29 am

Thanks for the advice for those who helped. Really appreciate it. I revised my final statement based on feedback ITT.

I really hope that Wm Mitchell's online program will allow visiting students.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Thu May 28, 2015 9:36 am

A concern with the Wm. Mitchell hybrid program is that, since it is, just accepting its first class, that upper level courses may not be available until later. Hopefully, that is not the case.

OutCold

Postby OutCold » Thu May 28, 2015 9:54 am

Skipped the four pages of dialogue but wanted to say that the best way to make something not seem like a big deal is to treat it like it's not a big deal. Such and such happened, this is why it happened, it was a mistake I have learned from and will not repeat. Short and to the point.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Thu May 28, 2015 9:58 am

Unfortunately, this matter is a big deal that must be addressed in a direct & thorough manner.

OP: One thing that should be incorporated into your addendum is that, if true, treatment & medication are working & that you will continue with both treatment methods as prescribed by your doctor.

worldtraveler

Postby worldtraveler » Thu May 28, 2015 12:21 pm

This conduct sounds very serious. Honestly, given the nature of the problem I'm not sure you can expect a school to allow you as a visiting student. I know you're set on going back this year, but another year away to get used to your new medical reality and show that now that you are receiving treatment you are fine might not be a bad idea. The more distance between you and these problems, the better.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu May 28, 2015 1:23 pm

CanadianWolf is right...if I make this seem like it's not "a big deal" that reeks of minimizing, which is very, very bad for C&F.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu May 28, 2015 1:24 pm

I have until fall 2018 to complete my J.D., per ABA rules. I will keep applying until I get in. In the meantime, I will enroll in an MSW program to help show that I am stable.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu May 28, 2015 2:04 pm

I would imagine c&f's concerns wouldn't be to crucify people with bipolar so much as trying to protect the public from lawyers who may become mentally incompetent during an ongoing trial. If I were on the committee, my primary concern would be the plan you have in place in the event the medication were to fail down the road. Wherever you wind up working, you want to have a plan in place that should the worst case scenario happen, Joe/Lisa/whoever will take up your client load.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu May 28, 2015 2:07 pm

My psychotherapist told me to never divulge my bipolar to employers because of stigma. They will find an excuse to fire you if they find out.

worldtraveler

Postby worldtraveler » Thu May 28, 2015 2:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I have until fall 2018 to complete my J.D., per ABA rules. I will keep applying until I get in. In the meantime, I will enroll in an MSW program to help show that I am stable.

Do you want to be an SW or a lawyer? This seems like a ton of debt and effort.

And I'm no expert on bi-polar disorder, but being either a SW or a public interest client services attorney can be incredibly emotional and psychologically taxing even on people without your struggles. I just had a reunion with a lot of PI friends from law school, and one thing that everyone agreed on was that we all underestimated the stress that serving clients in some really desperate situations can have on you. It's one thing to do it under supervision for a summer, and another to do it full time. I generally love my job, love what I do, and have a pretty healthy mental outlook, but I've even had a few dark days and had one case that gave me some nighmares.

My sense is (based on talking to a friend of mine with BP disorder) that this kind of stress might be even tougher to handle in your situation.

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Thu May 28, 2015 2:21 pm

worldtraveler wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I have until fall 2018 to complete my J.D., per ABA rules. I will keep applying until I get in. In the meantime, I will enroll in an MSW program to help show that I am stable.

Do you want to be an SW or a lawyer? This seems like a ton of debt and effort.

And I'm no expert on bi-polar disorder, but being either a SW or a public interest client services attorney can be incredibly emotional and psychologically taxing even on people without your struggles. I just had a reunion with a lot of PI friends from law school, and one thing that everyone agreed on was that we all underestimated the stress that serving clients in some really desperate situations can have on you. It's one thing to do it under supervision for a summer, and another to do it full time. I generally love my job, love what I do, and have a pretty healthy mental outlook, but I've even had a few dark days and had one case that gave me some nighmares.

My sense is (based on talking to a friend of mine with BP disorder) that this kind of stress might be even tougher to handle in your situation.

I agree with this, and would encourage you to think hard about this and talk to your psychiatrist about it as much as you can.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu May 28, 2015 2:24 pm

I want to be an attorney. SW is my back up plan. Always good to have a plan B.

I can handle highly stressful employment just fine. I taught at an underperforming inner-city high school before law school.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu May 28, 2015 2:28 pm

Holly, I have talked about it extensively with my psychiatrist, psychotherapist, and support group. They believe that, under treatment, I am fully able to undertake the stresses of the legal profession. Before law school, I worked as a domestic violence hotline advocate (after the inner-city teaching), so I am well acquainted to dealing successfully with vicarious trauma.

I am aiming for a fellowship, and want my summer 2015 employer to be my postgrad fellowship sponsor.

worldtraveler

Postby worldtraveler » Thu May 28, 2015 2:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I want to be an attorney. SW is my back up plan. Always good to have a plan B.

I can handle highly stressful employment just fine. I taught at an underperforming inner-city high school before law school.

But wasn't that before the onset of your symptoms? The friend I'm referring to used to work in refugee resettlement in Jordan at the height of the Iraq war. Twice someone committed suicide right in front of her and she just went right back to work. I used to think she was made of steel. Then in her mid-20s she started having major manic and depressive episodes. She works as a secretary now, in large part because she had a really difficult time with the emotional demands of the job.

Sometimes you have to recognize your limits. I had very severe PTSD before I started law school, leading me to postpone attending for a year. It was the best decision I ever made, and if I could do it again I would postpone another year. My PTSD is not 100% gone but it's massively better than it was and it's because I had the time to develop coping mechanisms while working a low stress job. I also just have to recognize my limits. I can't do the schedule I had before PTSD. That person does not exist anymore. There are some human rights fields I would theoretically love to work in, but I know my triggers and know I cannot mentally handle that.

I'm sure I wont' talk you out of anything though.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu May 28, 2015 2:43 pm

I had mental illness well before law school. Since childhood, in fact. It just wasn't diagnosed. Just because there isn't a formal diagnosis doesn't mean that mental illness (bipolar disorder) doesn't exist.

While mentally ill, I successfully worked two stressful, emotionally exhausting jobs before law school (teaching and domestic violence advocate). I'll be fine, whether it's law or social work. My treatment providers fully recommend that I continue on with my current plans, and it is their feedback that matters the most. I'm not going to limit myself to working in dead-end retail jobs and foodservice jobs for the rest of my life just because I have a disability.

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Thu May 28, 2015 4:56 pm

No one has suggested you limit yourself to food service and retail jobs.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu May 28, 2015 5:12 pm

Retail, food service and other minimum-wage jobs are my only alternatives. I have a B.A. in Sociology and Anthropology with a minor in Spanish, so it's not like high or even living wage-paying employers are lining up to hire me. Just because I have a disability doesn't mean that I should avoid jobs that involve responsibility or stress.

Again, let's not turn this into a thread about whether bipolar people can undertake stressful jobs. That is not the purpose of this thread. The purpose of this thread is to critique an addendum. Thanks for those who provided helpful feedback, especially CanadianWolf.

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Thu May 28, 2015 5:18 pm

I hope you don't take offense at what I'm about to say, because I am being completely sincere here. Your sensitive reactions to constructive advice that people are giving make me wonder if you are far enough removed from your bad episodes to be truly objective about what is best for you. I have dealt with mental health issues and agree that people with mental health issues can still have jobs that involve responsibility and stress. I am just honestly worried for you that you are not yet in a place in your recovery where you should be making such important life decisions. And I think wt made a very good point about very specific types of jobs not being right for people with specific mental illness issues.

Return to “Legal Employment”