C&F Addendum Help

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: C&F Addendum Help

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jul 18, 2015 4:50 pm

Hey--my psychotherapist and support group leader just drafted the below eval and asked me for feedback--anything she should add or omit? She will be submitting it shortly:

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Treatment Summary

Assessment of the patient’s readiness to return to a full academic course load.

[My name] is a brilliant young woman who would be an asset to any law school she attends. Never have I had a patient who learns as quickly as she does. I’ve had the great privilege of being her psychotherapist from March 1, 2015 until the present. She was asked to leave [law school' due to out-of-control manic behavior, a dire consequence of being improperly medicated for her bipolar disorder.

She has subsequently found a treating psychiatrist – [Name of psychiatrist] – who put her on effective medication. She has been stable – no manias or depressions – since she’s been on this medication. As with any individual with a mental illness, she fully understands the importance of taking her medication faithfully.

This enterprising 27-year-old young woman, the daughter of two physicians, who are helping her heal at home in [City, State], was chosen from 20 candidates to work full-time as an intern at the [Legal Aid Organization] in [City]. She successfully wrote a grant and got a $1,200 stipend to be paid for her pro bono work. The patient and two other interns do important work helping the homeless, who reside both on the streets of [City] and in five shelters in the city.

She is being mentored by several [Legal Aid Organization] attorneys and has been invited to work for them full-time after she gets her law degree. See [website].

On her own, she took the Multistate Professional Responsibility Exam and passed with a 128, the 97th percentile.

She has applied to [Law School] for the Fall Semester, where she hopes to transfer from [original Law School]. In this way, she will maintain the same stable environment she has now, including her network of “providers.” She sees Dr. [Psychiatrist] on a monthly basis and myself on a weekly basis.

In addition, she is very active at [Support Group] of [City, State] – see [website] - where she is a Telephone Greeter, heads our Discovery Club excursions to interesting places in the [City] area.

The patient is an “idea person,” always thinking of ways to expand our programs and services at [Support Group], the support group I founded in 1986, for people with mood disorders and their loved ones.

Recommendations for follow-up treatment:

Continue seeing a psychiatrist, a psychotherapist, and attending [Name of support group] Support Group.

Be sure to get a good night’s sleep. Since being on the right medication, she gets 7-8 hours of sleep per night. After she took on her “nine-to-five” job at [Legal Aid Organization], she quickly adjusted to full-time work. Before [Legal Aid Organization], she volunteered for the [State] Innocence Project, where she helped in the release of an incarcerated inmate.

Her parents, with whom she lives, will continue to monitor her for manic or hypomanic behavior. She herself has learned how to do this, with the help of this psychotherapist.

Conclusion

Bipolar disorder is no deterrent to living a meaningful, productive life. It has often been noted that individuals with this illness have unusual compassion and empathy for their fellow men and women. [Patient] certainly fits this description. In our support group, we have supported many an attorney, as well as nurses, physicians, business owners, and hundreds of other people – including their family members – who we’ve helped over the years.

[Patient] is definitely ready to resume her law school studies.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jul 19, 2015 8:47 am

BUMP.

Does anyone have feedback on my psych eval? My psychotherapist plans to fax it to the school tomorrow.

AReasonableMan

Postby AReasonableMan » Sun Jul 19, 2015 11:45 am

Anonymous User wrote:BUMP.

Does anyone have feedback on my psych eval? My psychotherapist plans to fax it to the school tomorrow.

I don't think many people have had psych evals sent to law schools before so it will be hard to give constructive feedback. It's clear s/he likes you, but doesn't seem to go into details about triggers, etc. or specific things that caused you to act out. You also don't seem to have been asked to leave because of your ability to keep a normal schedule or any judgments on your intellect. It was simply a risk assessment. This explains risk reducing measures that have been implemented, but this doesn't seem to be the primary focus. Again, IDK how these should look. Gluck!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jul 19, 2015 2:55 pm

Why would adding info about my triggers be helpful?

AReasonableMan

Postby AReasonableMan » Sun Jul 19, 2015 3:11 pm

Because showing specific things you've put in place would make it less likely you'll flare up again. It's like when you're trying to get someone out on parol, you speak about specific things they've done that go beyond anger management to show it's unlikely they'll reoffend. The fact your parents are both successful being mentioned rubs me the wrong. way, but that's just me. I also don't see your high MPRE score being relevant of stability. Being smart and being safe aren't the same thing.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jul 19, 2015 3:21 pm

But she did write of specific things I've put in place that would make it less likely I'll flare up again--principally meds, monthly psychiatrist visits, weekly individual and group psychotherapy, etc.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jul 25, 2015 3:39 pm

My school did not let me back in, but they are willing to complete whatever paperwork necessary to effectuate a transfer.

Clearly

Postby Clearly » Sat Jul 25, 2015 4:00 pm

I didn't read the whole, but this is literally the single worst C+F addendum I have ever seen. Your entire approach to this is ridiculous and misses the point what what addenda are supposed to do.

BlueLotus

Postby BlueLotus » Sat Jul 25, 2015 4:38 pm

Clearly wrote:I didn't read the whole, but this is literally the single worst C+F addendum I have ever seen. Your entire approach to this is ridiculous and misses the point what what addenda are supposed to do.

I thought that the newer version posted a few pages ago was good.

Clearly

Postby Clearly » Sat Jul 25, 2015 4:39 pm

That could well be true. That's why I clarified that I wasn't gonna read 12 pages to find a new version. I hope you're right!

Desert Fox
Progressively loosing literacy

DFTHREAD

Postby Desert Fox » Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:36 pm

Last edited by Desert Fox on Thu Jan 07, 2016 3:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

AReasonableMan

Postby AReasonableMan » Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:11 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
BlueLotus wrote:
Clearly wrote:I didn't read the whole, but this is literally the single worst C+F addendum I have ever seen. Your entire approach to this is ridiculous and misses the point what what addenda are supposed to do.

You wrote it so of course you liked it.

You two have a cartoonist good guy-bad guy thing going on. Can't tell who's the good guy and bad guy. On one hand you can be like batman and she joker. On the other she's the kid trying to have fun, and you're the old sheriff trying to stop the ruckus.

Desert Fox
Progressively loosing literacy

DFTHREAD

Postby Desert Fox » Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:28 pm

Last edited by Desert Fox on Thu Jan 07, 2016 3:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

BlueLotus

Postby BlueLotus » Sun Aug 02, 2015 6:49 am

Desert Fox wrote:
BlueLotus wrote:

You wrote it so of course you liked it.

CanadianWolf and rpupkin practically wrote the whole thing.

DavidConeSplitter

Postby DavidConeSplitter » Sun Aug 02, 2015 9:55 am

IDK OP I'd go with the original version that looks good to me

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 05, 2015 7:47 pm

OP Update: I got into a school. Thanks for the help everyone.

LAW813FL

Postby LAW813FL » Wed Aug 05, 2015 8:11 pm

nice, blame all the bad shit you do on your "manic state"

I'd own up to the wrong shit I did instead of try and blame it on bullshit excuses like you. Anybody who knows anything about mental health will be able to sift through your crap.

mod edit: user has been outed and banned for using anon to bash someone's mental illness

nothingtosee

Postby nothingtosee » Wed Aug 05, 2015 8:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:nice, blame all the bad shit you do on your "manic state"

I'd own up to the wrong shit I did instead of try and blame it on bullshit excuses like you. Anybody who knows anything about mental health will be able to sift through your crap.

Strong anon use

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Apr 05, 2016 1:17 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:More detail about what you did. Way less detail about how you feel about it, what you've done in the meantime, and what exactly your therapy entails. And it's not so much that you need to go on at length about your behavior, as that you need to make clear what that was. (Hypothetical re: graffiti - spray-painting the dean's car with obscenities is different from writing "dean x sucks" on a bathroom wall. If you say "vandalism" I'm free to envision the former, which looks worse than the latter.)

I put lipstick marks and crayon on the walls.

Return to “Legal Employment”