C&F Addendum Help

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
blsingindisguise

Re: C&F Addendum Help

Postby blsingindisguise » Wed May 27, 2015 6:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:It's not fully online though. It says here that it is a part campus/part online hybrid program: http://web.wmitchell.edu/admissions/hybrid-program/ :(

Should I ask my psychiatrist/psychotherapist/support group director for a LOR? My redemption crusade will probably be more convincing coming from them.

I think you are overestimating the C&F committee. "I did bad stuff, undiagnosed mental illness caused it, I'm treating the mental illness, I haven't done any more bad stuff since," is sufficient if true. I guess a LOR from your shrink couldn't hurt if it backs up what you say.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed May 27, 2015 6:38 pm

blsingindisguise wrote:
hlsperson1111 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Any feedback on this C&F addendum would be appreciated. I would like to visit away at a law school in my home city for my 3L year so I can network and eventually get a job there. As I am discussing visiting for the third year, this doesn't really fit in the transfer or law school admissions forums, so I wasn't sure where else to put it. First application deadline is June 1, 2015.
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Were you ever dropped, suspended, expelled, warned, placed on probation, or subject to any disciplinary action or charges at any educational institution you attended? If the answer is yes, please detail the exact nature of the action and the dates on a separate page or electronic attachment and enclose with your application.

In fall 2013, I suffered a manic episode. During that time, I sent inappropriate and harassing communications to other students at [School]. As a result, [School] placed me on probation from [Date] until [Date]. [School] also ordered me to stay away from the individuals involved in these incidents, but subsequently lifted that order with respect to almost all the individuals.

In fall 2014, I suffered another manic episode. During that time, I vandalized [public/school/private] property and sent inappropriate and harassing communications to other students at [School]. [School] subsequently initiated disciplinary proceedings, placed me on interim suspension, ordered me to stay off campus pending the adjudication of those proceedings. After undergoing evaluation by University Counseling Services, I elected to take a medical withdrawal from [School] in lieu of undergoing disciplinary proceedings. I was allowed to reapply for the Fall 2015 semester on the condition that I undergo mental health treatment.

Since withdrawing, I was diagnosed with and have received intensive outpatient treatment for bipolar disorder. I received individual psychotherapy from several providers and was prescribed antipsychotic medication. I have also participated in a support group and receive daily support from family members. I have also made productive use of this time by volunteering at legal aid organizations, including [X], [Y], and [Z].

Prior to these incidents, I had a clean disciplinary record. After I was diagnosed with bipolar disorder and initiated treatment, I have not faced any further disciplinary action. I have never been charged with or convicted of a crime. I am fortunate that I had the opportunity to rehabilitate myself and treat my bipolar disorder, and I hope to continue my education at [School] next fall.

This x 1000. You should charge him for it.

Except that it is factually incorrect. I harassed faculty/administrators. Not other students.

El Pollito
party fowl

Postby El Pollito » Wed May 27, 2015 6:46 pm

Furthermore, the [Law School] Police trespassed me from campus.

lel

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Wed May 27, 2015 6:48 pm

The online program requires at least one week per semester on campus. Sorry, but I'm going to be blunt here, one or two weeks on campus makes you less of a risk to other students, faculty & administrators. You need to complete your law degree. Your current law school (I believe that I know which law school & which city) should permit a visiting year during your final year of law school--although I haven't looked into this specifically for your school, it is quite common. If so, your law degree would be from your current very prestigious law school & not from Wm. Mitchell. I hope this helps. You're going through a difficult time. I believe that folks want to assist, but institutions have limits due to certain constraints, liabilities & concerns. This may be a great option for you. I pray that everything works out as you wish.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed May 27, 2015 6:59 pm

I have no idea whether my law school will permit me to visit away for my third year. I really pray that they do because I do not under any circumstances want to return to my original school.

I'm not so sure that I can do the Hybrid JD Program at William Mitchell. On LSAC there is a separate app for Hybrid JD and Visiting Students. I'll call them tomorrow.

One thing that I am worried about is that the deadline for the local schools is on August 1, 2015, but University Counseling Services wants my treatment providers to submit their evaluations in early August for the purposes of readmission. I need to be readmitted to my original school BEFORE I can be considered as a visitor. What should I do? Should I have my parents talk to the school administration about the deadlines conflict?

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Wed May 27, 2015 7:03 pm

I don't know. Communication among all parties is important. Under the circumstances as you have presented them in this thread, Wm. Mitchell's program may be the most viable option. Otherwise, you need to know the period allowed by your current school to complete a JD degree.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Wed May 27, 2015 7:07 pm

As a sidenote, I think that your situation presents a chance for Wm. & Mitchell to further validate the need for its hybrid program. Unexpected medical conditions & other emergency situations arise during life to which Wm. Mitchell's hybrid program can be a solution.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed May 27, 2015 7:10 pm

I have until 2018 to complete my degree. I will keep trying until I get in because I really want to finish my J.D.

I am just worried about the deadlines thing. August 1, 2015 is the visiting deadline for the local law schools, but University Counseling Services is not willing to accept my treatment provider evaluations until early August. My dad has agreed to email the school psychologist next about the fact that I want to visit away for my third year and the logistics of doing that. The school psychologist, in my experience however, has been very inflexible and obstinate.

El Pollito
party fowl

Postby El Pollito » Wed May 27, 2015 7:12 pm

[quote="Anonymous User"]Any feedback on this C&F addendum would be appreciated. I would like to visit away at a law school in my home city for my 3L year so I can network and eventually get a job there. As I am discussing visiting for the third year, this doesn't really fit in the transfer or law school admissions forums, so I wasn't sure where else to put it. First application deadline is June 1, 2015.
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Were you ever dropped, suspended, expelled, warned, placed on probation, or subject to any disciplinary action or charges at any educational institution you attended? If the answer is yes, please detail the exact nature of the action and the dates on a separate page or electronic attachment and enclose with your application.

Before I begin, I would like for you to know that I formally requested official disciplinary records from [Law School] in order to aid me in fully and accurately writing this disclosure to you. [Law School], however, has outright refused to send me the documentation that I required. Therefore, this account is solely based on my imperfect memory of the events as they transpired. Any mentions of dates are mere approximations, as my recollection of what occurred is quite hazy given the fact that I was under the influence of untreated mental illness at the time. As follows is a general account of my regrettable, sordid, and ignominious disciplinary history at [Law School].

In fall 2013, I suffered a manic episode. In my manic state, I harassed various community members through transmitting repeated aggressive, hostile, belligerent, and verbally abusive communications.As a result of the disruptive behaviors I exhibited during my manic episode, I was placed on University Probation. In addition, the aggrieved individuals lodged a University Stay Away Order against me. The University Probation was lifted sometime in spring 2014. The University Stay Away Order has since been lifted for almost all the individuals. In fall 2014, I suffered another manic episode. In my manic state, I committed acts of vandalism and harassed various members of the community through transmitting repeated aggressive, hostile, belligerent, and verbally abusive communications. As a result of the disruptive behaviors I exhibited during my manic episode, [Law School] charged me with disorderly conduct, community disturbance, failure to comply, and property damage. Furthermore, the [Law School] Police trespassed me from campus. In addition, while the investigation was pending, I was placed on Interim Suspension. Subsequently, after a mandated evaluation from University Counseling ServicesI was given the opportunity to withdraw voluntarily for medical reasons in lieu of going through the student conduct process and receiving a sanction. I chose to withdraw. I was provided the option of reapplying for the fall 2015 semester under the condition that I undergo mental health treatment to address the underlying causes of my obvious poor impulse control. Although my mania-induced misconduct was heinous, [Law School] had mercy on me and as a result I thankfully did not incur a criminal record.

During the intervening period, I have received intensive outpatient treatment for my recently diagnosed bipolar disorder. According to the National Institute of Mental Health, “ipolar disorder, also known as manic-depressive illness, is a brain disorder that causes unusual shifts in mood, energy, activity levels, and the ability to carry out daily tasks. Symptoms of bipolar disorder can be severe. They are different from the normal ups and downs that everyone goes through from time to time. Bipolar disorder symptoms can result in damaged relationships, poor job or school performance, and even suicide. But bipolar disorder can be treated, and people with this illness can lead full and productive lives.” Until December 2014, I received frequent individual psychotherapy from Julie P., LPC at [Practice] in [City, State], who especially worked with me on anger management techniques that I have implemented into my daily life. Julie P., LPC retired at the end of 2014. In February 2015, I received weekly individual psychotherapy from Ann P., LCSW MSW at [Practice] in [City, State], who assisted me with cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT). From March 2015 to the present I have received individual psychotherapy from Ruth D, MGPGP, whom I see on a weekly basis at her private practice in [City, State] for sessions of up to two hours each. Ruth D., MGPGP has provided me invaluable insight into the underlying causes behind the out-of-character behaviors I exhibited while at [Law School]. As a part of my treatment, Ruth D., MGPGP also requires me to complete a weekly mood chart, where I assess my emotional state from 1 (worst) to 5 (best). I have consistently rated my mood at an optimal level. Furthermore, until January 2015 I was under the regular care of a psychiatrist, Dr. Ketankumar P., M.D. at [Practice] in [City, State]. He prescribed me 40 milligrams of Latuda (lurasidone HCl), an atypical antipsychotic and a mood-stabilizer, to treat my bipolar disorder. In the beginning of 2015, Dr. Ketankumar P., M.D. went on a medical leave of absence. Accordingly, from February 2015 to the present I have been under the care of another psychiatrist, Dr. Stephan M., M.D., whom I see once a month at [Practice] in [City, State]. He increased my dose of Latuda from 40 milligrams to 80 milligrams to fully ensure that no further manic episodes would derail my life and daily functioning. Furthermore, I have been under the daily care of my mother, Dr. [Asha] S., M.D., who is also psychiatrist. In addition to the individual psychotherapy and the psychiatric care, I also am an active participant in [Support Group], an award-winning non-profit organization founded in 1986 for people diagnosed with bipolar disorder, depression, and their loved ones. I attend [Support Group] meetings on a weekly basis and have volunteered to take on a leadership role in the organization, planning initiatives and events for the group that help empower individuals with mood disorders to lead productive lives. For instance, I organized hikes, excursions, a yoga class, and a Zumba session for members of [Support Group].I am now doing very stably thanks to a robust combination of daily medication, weekly individual/group psychotherapy, and monthly psychiatric visits. My treatment providers can wholeheartedly attest to that, and you are more than welcome to contact them for corroboration of anything I have said. Over the past year, I have been so single-mindedly dedicated to my mental health treatment that I declined to go on a family vacation to India, a family vacation to Florida, a family vacation to Ohio, and a close friend’s wedding in California because I did not want to miss a single session of individual or group psychotherapy. Given my intensive outpatient mental health treatment, my past manic episodes are far behind me and highly unlikely to manifest themselves again. My hiatus from law school has been a transformative one and I can say with full certainty that I am a changed person. I am proud to proclaim that I am firmly on the road to recovery. During my time off from law school, I took the March 2015 administration of the Multistate Professional Responsibility Exam (MPRE) and received a 128, which is a passing score by a wide margin in every jurisdiction. This is further evidence that I am able to function at a high level despite my disability.

Although my past disruptive behaviors directly and proximately stemmed from my then-untreated bipolar disorder, I accept 100% responsibility for my actions and harbor no malice and ill will toward those who disclosed the misconduct or initiated proceedings against me. I wholly deserved what I got. My bipolar disorder does not in any way excuse my past misconduct. I feel a great deal of remorse for my abhorrent, intemperate behavior and apologize deeply to those that I have offended. Not a day goes by that I don’t regret my past transgressions—at times I am so ashamed that I can hardly look at myself in the mirror. As mentioned earlier, I am currently under aggressive treatment by psychiatrists, a psychotherapist, and a support group, all of whom are assisting me in coping successfully with bipolar disorder and addressing the underlying causes of the disruptive behaviors that led to the disciplinary sanctions at [Law School]. Up until fall 2013, I had never faced disciplinary actions in education or in employment. I had an unblemished record during my K-12 schooling, my undergraduate studies, and on the job. My intermittent behavioral problems at [Law School] coincided exactly with the onset of my bipolar disorder in the last two years. Initially, it was not diagnosed. I did not engage in those disruptive behaviors in my normal state of mind, and believe me, despite my checkered past, I am a good person at heart.

In addition, to further rehabilitate myself, I have made productive use of my time for the benefit of society through volunteering at legal aid agencies serving indigent clients in [State]. In spring 2015, I volunteered for the [Organization 1], a non-profit affiliated with [Law School]. The [Organization 1] works to secure exonerations for wrongfully convicted inmates. As a Stage 2 case screener, I was responsible for determining whether inmates’ cases involved plausible claims of innocence and gauging whether there may be avenues for obtaining new exculpatory evidence through examining inmates’ questionnaires, docket sheets and appellate records. In addition, I wrote evaluative memoranda assessing whether inmates’ cases presented plausible claims of factual innocence. As of June 1, 2015, I am volunteering full-time at [Organization 2], a non-profit public interest organization dedicated to meeting the legal and advocacy needs of homeless individuals and families in [City]. As a volunteer, I assist [Organization 2's] staff attorneys in conducting legal clinics in shelters and soup kitchens throughout the city of [City]. The fact that I can function well in challenging full-time legal employment is further evidence of my stability. If I were admitted to a [City]-area school as a visiting student for my final year of law school, I hope to continue serving [Organization 2] on a part-time basis while taking classes and seamlessly continuing my treatment with the same mental health providers.

I would like to visit away at a [City]-area law school for the third year of my Juris Doctor program principally for medical[b]personal reasons. I am unable to return to [Law School] because all of my treatment providers are located in the greater [City] region. If I were not accepted as a visiting student at a [City]-area law school, I would have no choice but to be forced to abandon my Juris Doctor program. I would be absolutely heartbroken if I lost out on my dream of becoming an attorney and zealously advocating for people with mental health disabilities. As you can tell from my other personal statements, I passionately desire to work in a career in the public interest. Many of the indigent clients served by [City's] legal aid agencies have suffered from debilitating mental illness—who better to represent them than a future lawyer who overcame her own mental health issues to became a success? As I have done everything I possibly can to atone for my past misconduct, I would appreciate it from the bottom of my heart if you would give me another chance. I deserve to be happy and successful despite my disability.[/quote]
Not a joke.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Wed May 27, 2015 7:16 pm

Other medical conditions include, but certainly are not limited to, stroke, unexpected pregnancies & PTSD for crime victims. Wm. Mitchell can further validate its groundbreaking program by offering a solution to some of life's unexpected turns. Your school should realize the value of this alternative. You have & had an undiagnosed illness which occurred through no fault of your own.

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Wed May 27, 2015 7:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I have until 2018 to complete my degree. I will keep trying until I get in because I really want to finish my J.D.

I am just worried about the deadlines thing. August 1, 2015 is the visiting deadline for the local law schools, but University Counseling Services is not willing to accept my treatment provider evaluations until early August. My dad has agreed to email the school psychologist next about the fact that I want to visit away for my third year and the logistics of doing that. The school psychologist, in my experience however, has been very inflexible and obstinate.

You are having your daddy talk to the school psychologist for you?

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Wed May 27, 2015 7:21 pm

I think we would all like to hear more about how you harassed faculty.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed May 27, 2015 7:24 pm

I am afraid to talk to the school psychologist myself. If I contact him (or another school administrator) even politely and meekly, I might be slapped with harassment charges and possibly arrested. I can't risk any more C&F blemishes on my record. Better to contact my school through third parties (family, treatment providers, etc.)

BearLaw

Postby BearLaw » Wed May 27, 2015 7:25 pm

Nothing really helpful to add, other than to second what everyone else has already added, but if the OP is who I think it is, this thread will be a cluster. OP will get defensive, and good advice will be ignored. Just prepping everyone.

To OP, your original statement is too long, and there have been several good suggestions regarding ways to improve it. Heed them.

EDIT: also, if you are over 18 (which, presumably, you are) can your dad even contact your care provider regarding your records? HIPPA seems to bar this unless you have given written consent, but even then, I am not sure they can transfer your records on his say so.

El Pollito
party fowl

Postby El Pollito » Wed May 27, 2015 7:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I am afraid to talk to the school psychologist myself. If I contact him (or another school administrator) even politely and meekly, I might be slapped with harassment charges and possibly arrested. I can't risk any more C&F blemishes on my record. Better to contact my school through third parties (family, treatment providers, etc.)

Get a lawyer. Have them handle your shit.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed May 27, 2015 7:29 pm

I have given explicit consent for my parents to contact the school administrators on my behalf, so FERPA/HIPAA won't be an issue. I am just terrified to contact them on my own, because they might construe contact of ANY kind to be threatening.

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Wed May 27, 2015 7:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I am afraid to talk to the school psychologist myself. If I contact him (or another school administrator) even politely and meekly, I might be slapped with harassment charges and possibly arrested. I can't risk any more C&F blemishes on my record. Better to contact my school through third parties (family, treatment providers, etc.)

Okay, that makes more sense.

Also, I agree with everyone else who says concise is the way to go. Use the one hlsperson drafted for you but fixing the details that were incorrect.

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Wed May 27, 2015 7:31 pm

El Pollito wrote:

Get a lawyer. Have them handle your shit.

Yeah, you should definitely hire a C&F lawyer sooner rather than later.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed May 27, 2015 7:32 pm

Why would I need a lawyer at this stage? Shoving a lawyer in their face will make them less likely to admit me. I'll be seen as a threat.

I'm definitely hiring a lawyer for C&F. But that's for later. I have to finish law school first.

Desert Fox
Progressively loosing literacy

DFTHREAD

Postby Desert Fox » Wed May 27, 2015 7:34 pm

fobstory.jpeg
Last edited by Desert Fox on Thu Jan 07, 2016 5:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed May 27, 2015 7:38 pm

I taught at an underperforming inner-city high school before law school. I think I am able to handle highly stressful jobs, as are plenty of folks with mood disorders who undergo the proper treatment.

Either provide constructive feedback on my addendum like others have done, or GTFO. I have already incorporated other people's advice into my final draft.

Thanks to those who actually helped, esp. CanadianWolf. I'll definitely look into the Wm Mitchell online program.

El Pollito
party fowl

Postby El Pollito » Wed May 27, 2015 7:39 pm

Make it as short as possible.

Desert Fox

DFTHREAD

Postby Desert Fox » Wed May 27, 2015 7:39 pm

fobstory.jpeg

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed May 27, 2015 7:42 pm

Unless you are a member of the C&F committee of my state, GTFO. This purpose of this thread is to critique my statement. Plenty of people with mood disorders end up as lawyers, including members of my support group.

Desert Fox

DFTHREAD

Postby Desert Fox » Wed May 27, 2015 7:49 pm

fobstory.jpeg

Return to “Legal Employment”