C&F Addendum Help

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
chem!

Re: C&F Addendum Help

Postby chem! » Sun May 31, 2015 8:32 pm

Just want to say that OP is not replying to him/herself in this thread.

Desert Fox
Progressively loosing literacy

DFTHREAD

Postby Desert Fox » Sun May 31, 2015 8:33 pm

fobstory.jpeg
Last edited by Desert Fox on Thu Jan 07, 2016 5:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

chem!

Postby chem! » Sun May 31, 2015 8:34 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
chem! wrote:Just want to say that OP is not replying to him/herself in this thread.

CHEM is crazy girl CONFIRMEd

BUSTED.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 01, 2015 6:05 pm

Revised version. Any feedback would be appreciated:

Were you ever dropped, suspended, expelled, warned, placed on probation, or subject to any disciplinary action or charges at any educational institution you attended? If the answer is yes, please detail the exact nature of the action and the dates on a separate page or electronic attachment and enclose with your application.

In fall 2013, I suffered a manic episode. During that time, I sent inappropriate and harassing communications to other individuals at [School]. As a result, [School] placed me on University Probation. The University Probation was lifted sometime in spring 2014 for good behavior during the probationary period. [School] also ordered me to stay away from the individuals involved in these incidents, but subsequently lifted that order with respect to almost all the individuals.

In fall 2014, I suffered another manic episode. During that time, I vandalized school property and sent inappropriate and harassing communications to other individuals at [School]. [School] subsequently initiated disciplinary proceedings, placed me on Interim Suspension, and ordered me to stay off campus pending the adjudication of those proceedings. After undergoing a mandated evaluation by University Counseling Services, I elected to take a medical withdrawal from [School] in lieu of undergoing disciplinary proceedings. I was allowed to reapply for the Fall 2015 semester on the condition that I undergo mental health treatment.

Since withdrawing, I was diagnosed with and have received intensive outpatient treatment for bipolar disorder, type I. I received weekly individual psychotherapy from several providers. In addition, a psychiatrist, whom I see once a month, prescribed me Latuda, an antipsychotic medication. I have also participated in a support group and receive daily support from family members. Furthermore, I have also made productive use of this time by volunteering at legal aid organizations, including [X], and [Y].

Prior to these incidents, I had a clean disciplinary record. After I was diagnosed with bipolar disorder type I and initiated treatment, I have not faced any further disciplinary action. I have never been charged with or convicted of a crime. I am fortunate that I had the opportunity to rehabilitate myself and treat my bipolar disorder, and I hope to continue my education at [School] next fall.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Mon Jun 01, 2015 6:14 pm

If accurate, it is important to share that since undergoing therapy/treatment and taking the prescribed medication that you have not suffered any other manic episodes nor any adverse reaction to the medication. Also, note that you will continue with therapy/treatment for so long as your medical providers deem necessary and that the medication, to which you have not experienced any adverse side effects, will be taken as prescribed.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 01, 2015 6:20 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:If accurate, it is important to share that since undergoing therapy/treatment and taking the prescribed medication that you have not suffered any other manic episodes nor any adverse reaction to the medication. Also, note that you will continue with therapy/treatment for so long as your medical providers deem necessary and that the medication, to which you have not experienced any adverse side effects, will be taken as prescribed.

Yes, it is true that since undergoing therapy/treatment and taking Latuda, I have not suffered any further manic episodes or any adverse reaction to the medication.

Thanks for all your help, CanadianWolf. I'm so bummed that the Wm Mitchell online program isn't an option yet (cuz it's in its first year only), but if I don't get into my original school this fall I will definitely apply there for spring 2016, when upper-level classes will be available.

rpupkin

Postby rpupkin » Mon Jun 01, 2015 6:37 pm

OP,

As others have already suggested, this revised statement is much, much better. I have one comment, below.

In fall 2013, I suffered a manic episode. During that time, I sent inappropriate and harassing communications to other individuals at [School]. As a result, [School] placed me on University Probation. The University Probation was lifted sometime in spring 2014 for good behavior during the probationary period. [School] also ordered me to stay away from the individuals involved in these incidents, but subsequently lifted that order with respect to almost all the individuals.

In fall 2014, I suffered another manic episode. During that time, I vandalized school property and sent inappropriate and harassing communications to other individuals at [School].

I know you have to disclose everything, but I am concerned about the following presentation of events: (1) manic, inappropriate behavior, (2) probation, (3) a period of good behavior resulting in the lifting of the probation, and then (4) more manic, inappropriate behavior.

The problem with this is that it reads like you already "got better" once before but then relapsed after the university gave you a second chance. I understand that you've now undergone more aggressive treatment, but I think you really want to avoid the impression that your manic behaviors are likely to reemerge. For that reason, I suggest reorganizing as follows:

In fall 2013, I suffered a manic episode. During that time, I sent inappropriate and harassing communications to other individuals at [School]. In fall 2014, I suffered another manic episode. During that time, I vandalized school property and sent inappropriate and harassing communications to other individuals at [School]. The school initially placed me on University Probation and ordered me to stay away from the individuals involved in these incident. [School] subsequently initiated disciplinary proceedings, placed me on Interim Suspension, and ordered me to stay off campus pending the adjudication of those proceedings. After undergoing a mandated evaluation by University Counseling Services, I elected to take a medical withdrawal from [School] in lieu of undergoing disciplinary proceedings. I was allowed to reapply for the Fall 2015 semester on the condition that I undergo mental health treatment.

[Everything else in your addendum should follow as already drafted.]

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Mon Jun 01, 2015 6:51 pm

I disagree with rpupkin's changes. The C&F addendum as initially posted by OP today is quite clear, thorough & honest. Most important is that after undergoing medical evaluation & receiving treatment which included prescribed medication, that OP has not experienced any subsequent manic episodes. This assures the reader that the condition is caused by a medical imbalance which is correctable via treatment & medication.

I've been on the receiving end of a manic episode that was the result of the individual refusing to take his medication as prescribed because he didn't like how it made him feel. Many other readers are likely to be acquainted with bipolar individuals & the consequences of the patient's refusal to take the prescribed medication as instructed. Those readers probably want to be assured that the medication is working & that there are no adverse side effects which might cause one to stop taking the prescribed medication as instructed by the doctor.

rpupkin

Postby rpupkin » Mon Jun 01, 2015 6:54 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:I disagree with rpupkin's changes. The C&F addendum as initially posted by OP today is quite clear, thorough & honest. Most important is that after undergoing medical evaluation & receiving treatment which included prescribed medication, that OP has not experienced any subsequent manic episodes. This assures the reader that the condition is caused by a medical imbalance which is correctable via treatment & medication.

I think you misunderstood my suggestions. I am not suggesting that the OP should strike the part about "undergoing medical evaluation & receiving treatment which included prescribed medication, that OP has not experienced any subsequent manic episodes." The OP should leave all that in. My proposed edit is limited to the portion of the addendum that addresses the OP's behavior and the school's response to that behavior.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Mon Jun 01, 2015 6:55 pm

Clearly, rpupkin is one of the brightest posters on this board. Nevertheless, if OP submitted the C&F addendum as suggested, I would be suspicious & want to know more details. Better to be upfront & thoroughly honest if seeking understanding & acceptance.

P.S. I did understand, but I still think that the original version as presented by OP today should stand.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 01, 2015 7:03 pm

rpupkin and CanadianWolf, should I strike the part where I mentioned that the University Probation was lifted "for good behavior" (even though it is true that they lifted it early because I behaved well during the probationary period?

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Mon Jun 01, 2015 7:08 pm

My opinion is that it should stay in as you don't want future readers learning of the second probation as a surprise when reading the university's version of events. This is not the time to risk being seen as concealing anything. Additionally, it supports the notion that this behavior was due to an undiagnosed medical condition which can be corrected via therapy & medication treatment.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Mon Jun 01, 2015 7:11 pm

Past & future schools need to know & believe that they can trust you. This is the first step. They also need to be able to trust that you will continue with therapy & medication as instructed by your physician.

rpupkin

Postby rpupkin » Mon Jun 01, 2015 7:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:rpupkin and CanadianWolf, should I strike the part where I mentioned that the University Probation was lifted "for good behavior" (even though it is true that they lifted it early because I behaved well during the probationary period?

I think that's a good compromise.

Again, I think you should be truthful: you should disclose the manic behavior. But you have some control over the narrative here. You don't have to present what happened in a way that reminds the new school that you seemingly got better once before and then relapsed.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Mon Jun 01, 2015 7:50 pm

I understand rpupkin's point, but my emphasis would focus on the later fact that treatment through therapy & medication worked to curtail the manic episodes. My concern, as I wrote above, with the suggested approach is that it may strike some readers as an act of concealment tantamount to dishonesty which suggests that your promise to continue with therapy & medication as mandated by your physician may be suspect.

Remember state bars & admission officers will also be reading the university's version of events which is certain to note the lifting & reimposition of probation sanctions due to a reoccurrence of manic behavior.

Do you really want to deal with a second round of questioning which focuses on why you failed to fully disclose all probations on your first addendum ?

The addendum instructions also ask for all dates related to any probations. How do you get around avoiding the second probation which date will clearly be displayed on the university's report ?

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Mon Jun 01, 2015 8:49 pm

Another way of looking at this matter:

Currently, your only C&F concern is a medical illness. If you fail to disclose fully or conceal relevant facts, then you raise an issue regarding your honesty. This gets into the area of "moral turpitude", rather than just a competency issue based on a medical condition.

This can be compared to a practice used by the FBI when investigating possible criminal activity. It is a federal crime to lie to the FBI. If an FBI agent (they always come in pairs when not undercover) asks you to detail any probations & related dates imposed by a school or other educational institution & you only reveal the first probation & the date that it was imposed, you have committed a crime--even if subsequently cleared of the initial matter under investigation. (Think Speaker of the House Hastert or the saying that the cover-up is often worse than the crime).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jun 02, 2015 6:54 am

CandadianWolf,

Just to specify, there was no "second probation". There was only one probation, which was lifted sometime in spring 2014. The second time I got a manic episode, I was slapped with four charges and placed on interim suspension pending the resolution of the investigation.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jun 02, 2015 7:06 am

Everyone says the later shorter version is better and more succinct.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jun 05, 2015 4:51 pm

Thanks to those who submitted constructive feedback, esp. CanadianWolf and rpupkin.

Should I omit the part where I say that I don't have a criminal record? I don't want to minimize the seriousness of my conduct, but I am torn.

rpupkin

Postby rpupkin » Fri Jun 05, 2015 4:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Thanks to those who submitted constructive feedback, esp. CanadianWolf and rpupkin.

Should I omit the part where I say that I don't have a criminal record? I don't want to minimize the seriousness of my conduct, but I am torn.

No, I would leave that in. I think your last paragraph--where you succinctly emphasize your otherwise clean disciplinary record--is relevant and helpful.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jun 07, 2015 5:10 pm

Just heard back from William Mitchell's Dean:

Hello, [OP],

Thank you for your email and for your interest in Mitchell. The hybrid program is not yet available to visiting students, as we are currently offering first year classes only. It is a part-time, four year program, so the third year of the program may not map onto what you need.

Although I cannot say for certain, given how many credits you already have, it will be difficult for you to visit even when we are allowing visiting students. Let me give some more information about the program and the potential difficulties, and we can go from there.

As the program goes on, it may be possible to be a visiting student, though this will be determined on a case-by-case basis based on how many seats are available in the class, what courses you are hoping to take, and when you are hoping to take them. I would also note that the ABA requires students to finish their degree in seven years from the time of matriculation (and your own school may have stricter requirements—Mitchell requires students to finish in five years). So, if the courses you need are not available until much later, that may be outside the time in which you can finish your degree.

Each hybrid cohort is capped at 96 students. Each cohort takes classes together each semester in a carefully structured course sequence. You can see the course sequence online. Note that courses must be taken together. So, for instance, in the third semester, which will first happen in spring of 2016, students will take Evidence, Civil Dispute Resolution, and Liberties. It would not be possible for a visiting student to take only Civil Dispute Resolution or only Evidence—the visiting student would be required to take all three courses at the same time.

Given what I’ve said here, if you are still interested in visiting, you can send me a copy of your transcript (unofficial is fine). I would then take your transcript to the Director of the Hybrid Program in order to figure out what semester, if any, it might be possible for you to take part in.

I am sorry not to have a definitive answer, but I hope that what I’ve said here is helpful as you consider whether this is the right program for helping you to finish your degree.

Best,
Ronny

Ronny Bradtke, M.A. | Admissions Coordinator
p. 651.290.6476| f. 651.290.7535
ronny.bradtke@wmitchell.edu
875 Summit Avenue, St. Paul, MN 55105

William Mitchell College of Law
For a degree in PRACTICAL WISDOM
Full-time | Part-time | Hybrid

Currently accepting applications and scheduling visits!

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Sun Jun 07, 2015 5:27 pm

This is a great response in the respect that your request will receive significant consideration. Obviously, it was unlikely that advanced courses would be available during the first year of the program. Hopefully your request is early enough to allow William Mitchell time to reconsider the parameters of their online program.

DavidConeSplitter

Postby DavidConeSplitter » Mon Jun 08, 2015 8:35 am

IDK OP I think the original version looks pretty good.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 08, 2015 9:15 am

The version in the original post is way too lengthy. No need to write a novella about my woes.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jun 27, 2015 12:49 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
chem! wrote:Just want to say that OP is not replying to him/herself in this thread.

CHEM is crazy girl CONFIRMEd

chem! dropped out of law school, asshole.

Return to “Legal Employment”