C&F Addendum Help

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
User avatar
dresden doll
Posts: 6802
Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2008 1:11 am

Re: C&F Addendum Help

Postby dresden doll » Fri May 29, 2015 9:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:No one tells the DUI person that they should avoid the "stresses" inherent in the law, even though chemical dependency has a legitimate bearing on one's ability to practice law. People with mental health issues get told that all the time.

I already cut down on some of the details, dresden. I am just too lazy to post my final draft because it takes a long time to redact all the identifying information.


Plenty of people with DUIs on their records aren't, and never were, alcoholics, let alone steeped in chemical dependence problems. By and large, DUIs tend to reflect momentary lapses of judgment and can consequently be forgiven with relative ease.

And, yes, if someone had series of recent DIUs on their record, I'd wonder about their capacity to practice law.

My close friend's wife is bipolar and a very valued paralegal at a big Chicago law firm, so you don't need to bother explaining to me that bipolar people can function successfully. Your illness in itself would not garner the responses you're getting; what's causing them, to name just a few things, is your obstinance, your obsessive focus on the few talking points you keep repeating from post to post, and your seemingly unwavering dedication to talking past people and missing their points (which clearly goes hand in hand with your unyielding focus on those talking points).

Anonymous User
Posts: 273184
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: C&F Addendum Help

Postby Anonymous User » Fri May 29, 2015 9:12 pm

Alcoholic or not, a DUI still shows incredibly poor judgment and has legitimate bearing on one's C&F. Just like I showed poor judgment in my manic state, and that too has a bearing on my C&F. I am not denying that.

In the end, I will be fine. I go to a top law school and have solid PI creds. Just have to clear this hurdle.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273184
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: C&F Addendum Help

Postby Anonymous User » Fri May 29, 2015 9:14 pm

"And if someone posted an addendum about harassing several faculty members while in law school (including one very recent incident), being required to withdraw from law school for a year, and having very serious problems with addiction, I am certain people would be concerned about that person's ability to practice law."

Holly, I don't have serious (or any) problems with addiction. What are you talking about?
Last edited by Anonymous User on Fri May 29, 2015 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
dresden doll
Posts: 6802
Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2008 1:11 am

Re: C&F Addendum Help

Postby dresden doll » Fri May 29, 2015 9:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Alcoholic or not, a DUI still shows incredibly poor judgment and has legitimate bearing on one's C&F. Just like I showed poor judgment in my manic state, and that too has a bearing on my C&F. I am not denying that.


Sure, if you ratchet up generalizing to a sufficiently high level, all sorts of things become analogous to one another.

User avatar
worldtraveler
Posts: 7664
Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2007 4:47 am

Re: C&F Addendum Help

Postby worldtraveler » Fri May 29, 2015 9:16 pm

I'm starting to think the OP has serious reading comprehension problems.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273184
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: C&F Addendum Help

Postby Anonymous User » Fri May 29, 2015 9:19 pm

I got into a prestigious law school. I assure you, my RC is just fine.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273184
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: C&F Addendum Help

Postby Anonymous User » Fri May 29, 2015 9:21 pm

OP: Everything that dresden doll said is spot on. She took the time, energy and has the writing talent to point out everything that is wrong in your addendum.

Secondly, I know you have spent a long time on this, but the writing itself needs work. Why would you use the phrase "directly and proximately?" If your behavior directly stems from your bipolar disorder, just use directly. This kinda stuff is why it's so long. More importantly, it makes you look less employable not because of your conduct, but because you're going to have to write stuff.

Also, they're not calling you a dummy. You just don't always read other people's posts closely. A lot of the people who have spent time on this - their free time, might I add, went to even more prestigious law schools and have prestigious jobs. You'd do well reading their words closely (particularly, dresdon doll) instead of blowing them off.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Fri May 29, 2015 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
dresden doll
Posts: 6802
Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2008 1:11 am

Re: C&F Addendum Help

Postby dresden doll » Fri May 29, 2015 9:22 pm

worldtraveler wrote:I'm starting to think the OP has serious reading comprehension problems.


I think she's the personification of narrow tunnel vision. She's clearly very obsessive, so she just can't seem to look past her own talking points/mantras to comprehend what people are saying.

User avatar
El Pollito
party fowl
Posts: 17888
Joined: Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:11 pm

Re: C&F Addendum Help

Postby El Pollito » Fri May 29, 2015 9:23 pm

mods you should really ban OP for her own good

Anonymous User
Posts: 273184
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: C&F Addendum Help

Postby Anonymous User » Fri May 29, 2015 9:26 pm

I already condensed and streamlined my essay based on feedback. I am just too lazy to post it on here because it will take too long to redact all the identifying info. Thanks to those who actually provided constructive advice, especially CanadianWolf.

User avatar
Holly Golightly
Posts: 4618
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:30 am

Re: C&F Addendum Help

Postby Holly Golightly » Fri May 29, 2015 9:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:"And if someone posted an addendum about harassing several faculty members while in law school (including one very recent incident), being required to withdraw from law school for a year, and having very serious problems with addiction, I am certain people would be concerned about that person's ability to practice law."

Holly, I don't have serious (or any) problems with addiction. What are you talking about?

I was just using that as an analogy after you said people wouldn't be critiquing someone with a DUI addendum the way people are critiquing you.

I do genuinely hope things work out for you, either in this or another field. But I also agree with what Dresden is saying. (And as a side note, she definitely knows what she's talking about re: PI jobs.)

Anonymous User
Posts: 273184
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: C&F Addendum Help

Postby Anonymous User » Fri May 29, 2015 9:30 pm

I think she may just function on a very immature level in terms of being able to empathize with other people, and see things from their point of view. The conduct, writing and inability to distinguish caring advice from bullying all suggest that. I mean, if we're being honest, bipolar might make someone more likely to do something but won't put the full thought in their head. Not all people with bipolar yell at administrators. I'm not saying this is the biggest deal in the world, just that it shows an inability to put herself in the secretary's shoes.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Fri May 29, 2015 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273184
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: C&F Addendum Help

Postby Anonymous User » Fri May 29, 2015 9:30 pm

Oh, what the hell, here is the new version:

Were you ever dropped, suspended, expelled, warned, placed on probation, or subject to any disciplinary action or charges at any educational institution you attended? If the answer is yes, please detail the exact nature of the action and the dates on a separate page or electronic attachment and enclose with your application.

In fall 2013, I suffered a manic episode. During that time, I sent inappropriate and harassing communications to other individuals at [School]. As a result, [School] placed me on probation from [Date] until [Date]. [School] also ordered me to stay away from the individuals involved in these incidents, but subsequently lifted that order with respect to almost all the individuals.

In fall 2014, I suffered another manic episode. During that time, I vandalized [school] property and sent inappropriate and harassing communications to other individuals at [School]. [School] subsequently initiated disciplinary proceedings, placed me on interim suspension, and ordered me to stay off campus pending the adjudication of those proceedings. After undergoing evaluation by University Counseling Services, I elected to take a medical withdrawal from [School] in lieu of undergoing disciplinary proceedings. I was allowed to reapply for the Fall 2015 semester on the condition that I undergo mental health treatment.

Since withdrawing, I was diagnosed with and have received intensive outpatient treatment for bipolar disorder. I received individual psychotherapy from several providers and was prescribed antipsychotic medication. I have also participated in a support group and receive daily support from family members. I have also made productive use of this time by volunteering at legal aid organizations, including [X], and [Y].

Prior to these incidents, I had a clean disciplinary record. After I was diagnosed with bipolar disorder and initiated treatment, I have not faced any further disciplinary action. I have never been charged with or convicted of a crime. I am fortunate that I had the opportunity to rehabilitate myself and treat my bipolar disorder, and I hope to continue my education at [School] next fall.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273184
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: C&F Addendum Help

Postby Anonymous User » Fri May 29, 2015 9:36 pm

Put the crime free record into the first sentence of the last para:

Prior to this... I had no previous disciplinary or criminal record of any kind

Otherwise, much better. You seem almost sufferable. Congrats!
Last edited by Anonymous User on Fri May 29, 2015 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
dresden doll
Posts: 6802
Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2008 1:11 am

Re: C&F Addendum Help

Postby dresden doll » Fri May 29, 2015 9:37 pm

Break up the last sentence of the first paragraph. I would say:

[School] also ordered me to stay away from the individuals involved in these incidents. Almost all of those orders have since been lifted.

You might also consider transferring the info about lifted orders into the last paragraph where you bring up all the other information about your currently positive situation.

Otherwise, I don't think I need to tell you that this draft is a massive improvement over your original addendum.

User avatar
Holly Golightly
Posts: 4618
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:30 am

Re: C&F Addendum Help

Postby Holly Golightly » Fri May 29, 2015 9:38 pm

That is much, much better than the original addendum you posted. I'm glad you took some of the constructive advice from people on here.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273184
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: C&F Addendum Help

Postby Anonymous User » Fri May 29, 2015 9:56 pm

NOW, will people stop doubting that I can competently practice law?

User avatar
dresden doll
Posts: 6802
Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2008 1:11 am

Re: C&F Addendum Help

Postby dresden doll » Fri May 29, 2015 9:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:NOW, will people stop doubting that I can competently practice law?


Not me, but the fact that you did heed reason with this draft is encouraging.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273184
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: C&F Addendum Help

Postby Anonymous User » Fri May 29, 2015 10:09 pm

"Put the crime free record into the first sentence of the last para:

Prior to this... I had no previous disciplinary or criminal record of any kind

Otherwise, much better. You seem almost sufferable. Congrats!"

That might come across as confusing. "Prior to this I had no previous disciplinary or criminal record" sort of implies that I NOW have a criminal record, which is not true. I was not charged with or convicted of any crime.

User avatar
justkeepswimming794
Posts: 93
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2015 3:54 am

Re: C&F Addendum Help

Postby justkeepswimming794 » Sat May 30, 2015 2:13 am

ETA

sorry, tldr
but OP-
Anonymous User wrote:Oh, what the hell, here is the new version:

Were you ever dropped, suspended, expelled, warned, placed on probation, or subject to any disciplinary action or charges at any educational institution you attended? If the answer is yes, please detail the exact nature of the action and the dates on a separate page or electronic attachment and enclose with your application.

In fall 2013, I suffered a manic episode. During that time, I sent inappropriate and harassing communications to other individuals at [School]. As a result, [School] placed me on probation from [Date] until [Date]. [School] also ordered me to stay away from the individuals involved in these incidents, but subsequently lifted that order with respect to almost all the individuals.

In fall 2014, I suffered another manic episode. During that time, I vandalized [school] property and sent inappropriate and harassing communications to other individuals at [School]. [School] subsequently initiated disciplinary proceedings, placed me on interim suspension, and ordered me to stay off campus pending the adjudication of those proceedings. After undergoing evaluation by University Counseling Services, I elected to take a medical withdrawal from [School] in lieu of undergoing disciplinary proceedings. I was allowed to reapply for the Fall 2015 semester on the condition that I undergo mental health treatment.

Since withdrawing, I was diagnosed with and have received intensive outpatient treatment for bipolar disorder. I received individual psychotherapy from several providers and was prescribed antipsychotic medication. I have also participated in a support group and receive daily support from family members. I have also made productive use of this time by volunteering at legal aid organizations, including [X], and [Y].

Prior to these incidents, I had a clean disciplinary record. After I was diagnosed with bipolar disorder and initiated treatment, I have not faced any further disciplinary action. I have never been charged with or convicted of a crime. I am fortunate that I had the opportunity to rehabilitate myself and treat my bipolar disorder, and I hope to continue my education at [School] next fall.



on point. you should thank hlsperson
also, congrats on overcoming your struggle, very cool and I wish the best for you in the future

Anonymous User
Posts: 273184
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: C&F Addendum Help

Postby Anonymous User » Sat May 30, 2015 2:29 pm

hlsperson's versions had factual inaccuracies...i didn't harass other students. it was faculty/administrators.

User avatar
nothingtosee
Posts: 865
Joined: Tue May 03, 2011 12:08 am

Re: C&F Addendum Help

Postby nothingtosee » Sat May 30, 2015 2:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:hlsperson's versions had factual inaccuracies...i didn't harass other students. it was faculty/administrators.


OP, I legitimately can't tell when you are intentionally being an ass from when you completely misread a social situation.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273184
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: C&F Addendum Help

Postby Anonymous User » Sun May 31, 2015 12:37 pm

I don't think pointing out incorrect information makes one an ass.

User avatar
Desert Fox
Progressively loosing literacy
Posts: 14403
Joined: Thu Sep 04, 2014 4:34 pm

DFTHREAD

Postby Desert Fox » Sun May 31, 2015 1:15 pm

fobstory.jpeg
Last edited by Desert Fox on Thu Jan 07, 2016 5:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273184
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: C&F Addendum Help

Postby Anonymous User » Sun May 31, 2015 1:45 pm

It doesn't apply to OP's situation, but I'm not so sure we don't develop a more legitimate cure for bipolar in our lifetime as opposed to just giving lithium to mellow them out, but still not preclude the episodes. We're speaking about a sickness as opposed to brain damage. If someone loses their frontal cortex in a head on collision, yes, they're always gonna be prone to impulsive behavior. But if the brain itself isn't damaged but just not functioning correctly, it seems like someone will eventually posit a cure.

In addition, OP's self-absorption is not related to her being bipolar except to the extent that her mania may be likelier to showcase itself in antisocial ways. I also don't know if we're talking about someone who has such bad bipolar that she can't be a productive attorney. Her actual conduct isn't that frightening, and might be motivated by a spoiled upbringing (think tons of family vacations, parents providing free room/board, probably showered with attention at home and having the special snowflake syndrome representative of many law students). Once OP matures and is able to see situations from the perspective of the dean, the secretaries, etc. and is able to think about what she can gain and lose by engaging in a given course of conduct, I don't know if this repeats itself. At this juncture, none of us can say whether OP's conduct was a 100% reflection of bipolar in which case it's largely incurable or whether it was also a product of selfishness and immaturity in which case the more OP experiences the world, the less likely such behavior will be to reappear.

I know this goes against the grain, but as someone who is "psychologically healthy," I'm prone to massive differences in work quality depending on (1) when the due date is and (2) if I've met the client, how much I like them. Even trying to control for these 2 things, I still struggle to have consistency. IDK if someone being highly productive and then highly non-productive due to a sickness makes them inherently more inconsistent than me, and I have found that most people also have the same inconsistencies as me for those same 2 reasons.

Dresdon doll makes a good point regarding obsessively repeating the talking points. My guess would be that OP is repeating trade craft from her support group and therapists. "People with bipolar can achieve the same things as everyone else can," "It's not my fault I have this disease," etc. I'm not commenting on their validity as applied to OP and her conduct, but simply that it's possible this doesn't reflect anything about OP individually and is just a slogan she hears a dozen times a week. In this regard, it may be more difficult for her to overcome as she's logically creating the opposite of a catch-22: "People with bipolar can do anything they put their minds to and must have the same opportunities, but if I do something terrible it will be because of my bipolar." In essence, this mentality denies the severity of bipolar disorder while at the same time diminishes her culpability for reprehensible conduct, and such a perspective can deter character growth. If OP wishes to beat the odds my guess is she'd have to believe the opposite of part two - that she can control and is the sole source of blame rather than the disorder. Like those with more traditional disabilities, OP must be aware that she'll always be considered less good because of her disability, and that getting to the same result as the non-disabled person requires holding herself to a higher standard than a non-disabled person.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.