C&F Addendum Help

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273240
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: C&F Addendum Help

Postby Anonymous User » Fri May 29, 2015 5:01 pm

OP - yeah just take the chart thing out. It's not really a great point in terms of evidence, because whenever someone testifies on their behalf it's taken with a grain of salt. In this instance, if they did speak to your prior school and found out about the c and d threat or if the bar found out, you're done. The risk-reward doesn't check out. You have better evidence than a self reported chart.

User avatar
A. Nony Mouse
Posts: 22835
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:51 am

Re: C&F Addendum Help

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Fri May 29, 2015 5:04 pm

I agree that "I have consistently rated my mood at an optimal level" doesn't come across well. Consistently doing as told and rating one's mood is great. Uniformly self-rating as optimal sounds unconvincing. No one's mood is uniformly optimal. But more to the point is that it's an unnecessary detail, and since it's unnecessary, there's no need to include something that could sound disingenuous.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273240
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: C&F Addendum Help

Postby Anonymous User » Fri May 29, 2015 5:04 pm

worldtraveler wrote:It's full of extra details you don't need but doesn't actually explain what you did and what caused the whole problem.


But I explained what I did (vandalism and harassment) and what caused the whole problem (undiagnosed bipolar disorder).

Anonymous User
Posts: 273240
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: C&F Addendum Help

Postby Anonymous User » Fri May 29, 2015 5:07 pm

Should I say that recommendation letters from my treatment providers are available upon request, since that is better evidence than the mood chart?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273240
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: C&F Addendum Help

Postby Anonymous User » Fri May 29, 2015 5:07 pm

yes!!!! cut 90 percent of the treatment stuff. your word on your mental health isn't really relevant at all. this would apply the same to addiction, conduct, etc.

to further the mood chart - the most dangerous part of bipolar is the manic part, not the depression part so it's almost worse to be a 5 than it is to be a 1. the truth is it puts you in a catch-22. with the add'l risk of being dishonest, it's a lose lose. just never mention it. DELFG may seem mean, but that's literally what any lawyer would bring up if they knew all the facts.

the missed family vacations evidence of seriousness is just a nightmare. OP be short, short, short. The more you go, the more you dig yourself in.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273240
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: C&F Addendum Help

Postby Anonymous User » Fri May 29, 2015 5:15 pm

5 doesn't mean manic. 5 means content. 1 would be manic or depressive.

Anyway, I'm deleting the mood chart piece. Any other detail relatively unimportant? I'm worried about deleting too much because of the "lack of candor" concern with the Bar.

User avatar
chem!
Posts: 9380
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2011 8:03 pm

Re: C&F Addendum Help

Postby chem! » Fri May 29, 2015 5:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:yes!!!! cut 90 percent of the treatment stuff. your word on your mental health isn't really relevant at all. this would apply the same to addiction, conduct, etc.

to further the mood chart - the most dangerous part of bipolar is the manic part, not the depression part so it's almost worse to be a 5 than it is to be a 1. the truth is it puts you in a catch-22. with the add'l risk of being dishonest, it's a lose lose. just never mention it. DELFG may seem mean, but that's literally what any lawyer would bring up if they knew all the facts.

the missed family vacations evidence of seriousness is just a nightmare. OP be short, short, short. The more you go, the more you dig yourself in.

This, this, this.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273240
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: C&F Addendum Help

Postby Anonymous User » Fri May 29, 2015 5:20 pm

If I don't fully disclose what I did, I will face the ire of the Board of Law Examiners. Not good. My C&F attorney told me to be as frank as possible.

User avatar
worldtraveler
Posts: 7665
Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2007 4:47 am

Re: C&F Addendum Help

Postby worldtraveler » Fri May 29, 2015 5:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
worldtraveler wrote:It's full of extra details you don't need but doesn't actually explain what you did and what caused the whole problem.


But I explained what I did (vandalism and harassment) and what caused the whole problem (undiagnosed bipolar disorder).


No, that's not an explanation. That could be anything from spraypainting graffiti and sending some emails to destroying someone's car and stalking. Just say in two sentences and less adjectives what your actions were.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273240
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: C&F Addendum Help

Postby Anonymous User » Fri May 29, 2015 5:24 pm

I did graffiti and transmitting harassing communications.

User avatar
worldtraveler
Posts: 7665
Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2007 4:47 am

Re: C&F Addendum Help

Postby worldtraveler » Fri May 29, 2015 5:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I did graffiti and transmitting harassing communications.



wtf does that mean?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273240
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: C&F Addendum Help

Postby Anonymous User » Fri May 29, 2015 5:27 pm

op - the lawyers meant to be frank about your conduct, not your rehabilitation. be short and positive about the rehabilitation and that's it. you're not a great liar and manipulator. be short and sweet. the longer you go the more you reveal a not so hot mental state. trust me.

graffiti and harassing communications aren't that bad. i think you're getting yourself in more trouble based on your approaches to misconduct than for the misconduct.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Fri May 29, 2015 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273240
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: C&F Addendum Help

Postby Anonymous User » Fri May 29, 2015 5:28 pm

emails, in person, phone. "communications" encompasses all of them.

User avatar
worldtraveler
Posts: 7665
Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2007 4:47 am

Re: C&F Addendum Help

Postby worldtraveler » Fri May 29, 2015 5:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:emails, in person, phone. "communications" encompasses all of them.


This is still not answering my question.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273240
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: C&F Addendum Help

Postby Anonymous User » Fri May 29, 2015 5:29 pm

I need to include the names of the treatment providers so they can contact them if they so choose.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273240
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: C&F Addendum Help

Postby Anonymous User » Fri May 29, 2015 5:32 pm

WT, I made a series of obscene remarks to faculty and administrators because I was upset about a 1L class and not being able to enroll in a desired clinic. Do I really need to say that?

User avatar
worldtraveler
Posts: 7665
Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2007 4:47 am

Re: C&F Addendum Help

Postby worldtraveler » Fri May 29, 2015 5:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:WT, I made a series of obscene remarks to faculty and administrators because I was upset about a 1L class and not being able to enroll in a desired clinic. Do I really need to say that?


Yes. Would you rather them infer you did something worse?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273240
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: C&F Addendum Help

Postby Anonymous User » Fri May 29, 2015 5:37 pm

So now you're telling me I need MORE detail when 4,674,343,345 people tell me to cut this thing down?

User avatar
A. Nony Mouse
Posts: 22835
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:51 am

Re: C&F Addendum Help

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Fri May 29, 2015 5:41 pm

More detail about what you did. Way less detail about how you feel about it, what you've done in the meantime, and what exactly your therapy entails. And it's not so much that you need to go on at length about your behavior, as that you need to make clear what that was. (Hypothetical re: graffiti - spray-painting the dean's car with obscenities is different from writing "dean x sucks" on a bathroom wall. If you say "vandalism" I'm free to envision the former, which looks worse than the latter.)

User avatar
worldtraveler
Posts: 7665
Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2007 4:47 am

Re: C&F Addendum Help

Postby worldtraveler » Fri May 29, 2015 5:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:So now you're telling me I need MORE detail when 4,674,343,345 people tell me to cut this thing down?


I told you to describe in two sentences what you did and to cut out all the extra details about treatment and family vacations and other crap you don't need.

BearLaw
Posts: 133
Joined: Sun Jun 17, 2012 6:23 pm

Re: C&F Addendum Help

Postby BearLaw » Fri May 29, 2015 5:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:So now you're telling me I need MORE detail when 4,674,343,345 people tell me to cut this thing down?


The Point. You have missed it...

Edit to be more helpful: The advice, as you have consistently received, is to cut the fluff about treatment, meds, doctors, etc. Focus on what you did (give a BRIEF, accurate discription of what you did and who you did it to, 3 sentences at most), why it happened (manic state of undiagnosed bipolar triggered by , X, Y, Z), and what you have done to treat it/rehabilitate(theripy, meds, other work, support group. NO MORE than a single sentence about each). End with statement accepting responsibility, expressing remorse, and looking to moving forward. Boom, done, fine.
Last edited by BearLaw on Fri May 29, 2015 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273240
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: C&F Addendum Help

Postby Anonymous User » Fri May 29, 2015 5:46 pm

Should I say that my treatment provider recommendations are on file and available if they want to see them?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273240
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: C&F Addendum Help

Postby Anonymous User » Fri May 29, 2015 5:48 pm

OP if what you did was write the dean sucks on the bathroom that's really not that threatening. all the details on treatment make it seem much worse, like you choked a b or threatened to blow up the school. you don't plead insanity to calling someone a mofo.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273240
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: C&F Addendum Help

Postby Anonymous User » Fri May 29, 2015 5:51 pm

I didn't physically harm anyone or make direct threats. I called one of the deans an "insufferable b*tch" because I was upset at her. I referred to another professor as a "sh*thead". The graffiti was on school property (walls).

Anonymous User
Posts: 273240
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: C&F Addendum Help

Postby Anonymous User » Fri May 29, 2015 5:55 pm

lol thats immature and strange but not that bad. honestly the bipolar diagnosis is prob more damaging. just say you were stressed and did this, later learned you had bipolar and have done x, y and z. you've made a 5 into a 10 with your histrionics. you make yourself sound dangerous when this is just a bad day at the office.

you certainly don't need a book over this. from the visiting school's perspective, you pay 50k and worst case scenario might call someone a bitch, and require 1k to repaint the walls. the whole intensive treatment thing for page after page makes it seem like you're a columbine in waiting.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.