C&F Addendum Help

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

C&F Addendum Help

Postby Anonymous User » Wed May 27, 2015 3:33 pm

Any feedback on this C&F addendum would be appreciated. I would like to visit away at a law school in my home city for my 3L year so I can network and eventually get a job there. As I am discussing visiting for the third year, this doesn't really fit in the transfer or law school admissions forums, so I wasn't sure where else to put it. First application deadline is June 1, 2015.
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Were you ever dropped, suspended, expelled, warned, placed on probation, or subject to any disciplinary action or charges at any educational institution you attended? If the answer is yes, please detail the exact nature of the action and the dates on a separate page or electronic attachment and enclose with your application.

Before I begin, I would like for you to know that I formally requested official disciplinary records from [Law School] in order to aid me in fully and accurately writing this disclosure to you. [Law School], however, has outright refused to send me the documentation that I required. Therefore, this account is solely based on my imperfect memory of the events as they transpired. Any mentions of dates are mere approximations, as my recollection of what occurred is quite hazy given the fact that I was under the influence of untreated mental illness at the time. As follows is a general account of my regrettable, sordid, and ignominious disciplinary history at [Law School].

In fall 2013, I suffered a manic episode. In my manic state, I harassed various community members through transmitting repeated aggressive, hostile, belligerent, and verbally abusive communications. As a result of the disruptive behaviors I exhibited during my manic episode, I was placed on University Probation. In addition, the aggrieved individuals lodged a University Stay Away Order against me. The University Probation was lifted sometime in spring 2014. The University Stay Away Order has since been lifted for almost all the individuals. In fall 2014, I suffered another manic episode. In my manic state, I committed acts of vandalism and harassed various members of the community through transmitting repeated aggressive, hostile, belligerent, and verbally abusive communications. As a result of the disruptive behaviors I exhibited during my manic episode, [Law School] charged me with disorderly conduct, community disturbance, failure to comply, and property damage. Furthermore, the [Law School] Police trespassed me from campus. In addition, while the investigation was pending, I was placed on Interim Suspension. Subsequently, after a mandated evaluation from University Counseling Services I was given the opportunity to withdraw voluntarily for medical reasons in lieu of going through the student conduct process and receiving a sanction. I chose to withdraw. I was provided the option of reapplying for the fall 2015 semester under the condition that I undergo mental health treatment to address the underlying causes of my obvious poor impulse control. Although my mania-induced misconduct was heinous, [Law School] had mercy on me and as a result I thankfully did not incur a criminal record.

During the intervening period, I have received intensive outpatient treatment for my recently diagnosed bipolar disorder. According to the National Institute of Mental Health, “[b]ipolar disorder, also known as manic-depressive illness, is a brain disorder that causes unusual shifts in mood, energy, activity levels, and the ability to carry out daily tasks. Symptoms of bipolar disorder can be severe. They are different from the normal ups and downs that everyone goes through from time to time. Bipolar disorder symptoms can result in damaged relationships, poor job or school performance, and even suicide. But bipolar disorder can be treated, and people with this illness can lead full and productive lives.” Until December 2014, I received frequent individual psychotherapy from Julie P., LPC at [Practice] in [City, State], who especially worked with me on anger management techniques that I have implemented into my daily life. Julie P., LPC retired at the end of 2014. In February 2015, I received weekly individual psychotherapy from Ann P., LCSW MSW at [Practice] in [City, State], who assisted me with cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT). From March 2015 to the present I have received individual psychotherapy from Ruth D, MGPGP, whom I see on a weekly basis at her private practice in [City, State] for sessions of up to two hours each. Ruth D., MGPGP has provided me invaluable insight into the underlying causes behind the out-of-character behaviors I exhibited while at [Law School]. As a part of my treatment, Ruth D., MGPGP also requires me to complete a weekly mood chart, where I assess my emotional state from 1 (worst) to 5 (best). I have consistently rated my mood at an optimal level. Furthermore, until January 2015 I was under the regular care of a psychiatrist, Dr. Ketankumar P., M.D. at [Practice] in [City, State]. He prescribed me 40 milligrams of Latuda (lurasidone HCl), an atypical antipsychotic and a mood-stabilizer, to treat my bipolar disorder. In the beginning of 2015, Dr. Ketankumar P., M.D. went on a medical leave of absence. Accordingly, from February 2015 to the present I have been under the care of another psychiatrist, Dr. Stephan M., M.D., whom I see once a month at [Practice] in [City, State]. He increased my dose of Latuda from 40 milligrams to 80 milligrams to fully ensure that no further manic episodes would derail my life and daily functioning. Furthermore, I have been under the daily care of my mother, Dr. [Asha] S., M.D., who is also psychiatrist. In addition to the individual psychotherapy and the psychiatric care, I also am an active participant in [Support Group], an award-winning non-profit organization founded in 1986 for people diagnosed with bipolar disorder, depression, and their loved ones. I attend [Support Group] meetings on a weekly basis and have volunteered to take on a leadership role in the organization, planning initiatives and events for the group that help empower individuals with mood disorders to lead productive lives. For instance, I organized hikes, excursions, a yoga class, and a Zumba session for members of [Support Group]. I am now doing very stably thanks to a robust combination of daily medication, weekly individual/group psychotherapy, and monthly psychiatric visits. My treatment providers can wholeheartedly attest to that, and you are more than welcome to contact them for corroboration of anything I have said. Over the past year, I have been so single-mindedly dedicated to my mental health treatment that I declined to go on a family vacation to India, a family vacation to Florida, a family vacation to Ohio, and a close friend’s wedding in California because I did not want to miss a single session of individual or group psychotherapy. Given my intensive outpatient mental health treatment, my past manic episodes are far behind me and highly unlikely to manifest themselves again. My hiatus from law school has been a transformative one and I can say with full certainty that I am a changed person. I am proud to proclaim that I am firmly on the road to recovery. During my time off from law school, I took the March 2015 administration of the Multistate Professional Responsibility Exam (MPRE) and received a 128, which is a passing score by a wide margin in every jurisdiction. This is further evidence that I am able to function at a high level despite my disability.

Although my past disruptive behaviors directly and proximately stemmed from my then-untreated bipolar disorder, I accept 100% responsibility for my actions and harbor no malice and ill will toward those who disclosed the misconduct or initiated proceedings against me. I wholly deserved what I got. My bipolar disorder does not in any way excuse my past misconduct. I feel a great deal of remorse for my abhorrent, intemperate behavior and apologize deeply to those that I have offended. Not a day goes by that I don’t regret my past transgressions—at times I am so ashamed that I can hardly look at myself in the mirror. As mentioned earlier, I am currently under aggressive treatment by psychiatrists, a psychotherapist, and a support group, all of whom are assisting me in coping successfully with bipolar disorder and addressing the underlying causes of the disruptive behaviors that led to the disciplinary sanctions at [Law School]. Up until fall 2013, I had never faced disciplinary actions in education or in employment. I had an unblemished record during my K-12 schooling, my undergraduate studies, and on the job. My intermittent behavioral problems at [Law School] coincided exactly with the onset of my bipolar disorder in the last two years. Initially, it was not diagnosed. I did not engage in those disruptive behaviors in my normal state of mind, and believe me, despite my checkered past, I am a good person at heart.

In addition, to further rehabilitate myself, I have made productive use of my time for the benefit of society through volunteering at legal aid agencies serving indigent clients in [State]. In spring 2015, I volunteered for the [Organization 1], a non-profit affiliated with [Law School]. The [Organization 1] works to secure exonerations for wrongfully convicted inmates. As a Stage 2 case screener, I was responsible for determining whether inmates’ cases involved plausible claims of innocence and gauging whether there may be avenues for obtaining new exculpatory evidence through examining inmates’ questionnaires, docket sheets and appellate records. In addition, I wrote evaluative memoranda assessing whether inmates’ cases presented plausible claims of factual innocence. As of June 1, 2015, I am volunteering full-time at [Organization 2], a non-profit public interest organization dedicated to meeting the legal and advocacy needs of homeless individuals and families in [City]. As a volunteer, I assist [Organization 2's] staff attorneys in conducting legal clinics in shelters and soup kitchens throughout the city of [City]. The fact that I can function well in challenging full-time legal employment is further evidence of my stability. If I were admitted to a [City]-area school as a visiting student for my final year of law school, I hope to continue serving [Organization 2] on a part-time basis while taking classes and seamlessly continuing my treatment with the same mental health providers.

I would like to visit away at a [City]-area law school for the third year of my Juris Doctor program principally for medical reasons. I am unable to return to [Law School] because all of my treatment providers are located in the greater [City] region. If I were not accepted as a visiting student at a [City]-area law school, I would have no choice but to be forced to abandon my Juris Doctor program. I would be absolutely heartbroken if I lost out on my dream of becoming an attorney and zealously advocating for people with mental health disabilities. As you can tell from my other personal statements, I passionately desire to work in a career in the public interest. Many of the indigent clients served by [City's] legal aid agencies have suffered from debilitating mental illness—who better to represent them than a future lawyer who overcame her own mental health issues to became a success? As I have done everything I possibly can to atone for my past misconduct, I would appreciate it from the bottom of my heart if you would give me another chance. I deserve to be happy and successful despite my disability.

Anonymous User

Re: C&F Addendum Help

Postby Anonymous User » Wed May 27, 2015 3:40 pm

Way too long. My C&F addendum for my law school application was one page and there were some people who felt I wrote too much. Stick to the details, and what has changed since then. Everything else is superfluous.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed May 27, 2015 3:44 pm

I would like to be brief. Problem is, the Bar gets access to all of your law school applications. If there is any discrepancy between what the Bar finds out about you thru investigation and what you disclose, then you may get dinged for C&F. I want to leave nothing to their imagination.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed May 27, 2015 3:45 pm

This:

"Although my past disruptive behaviors directly and proximately stemmed from my then-untreated bipolar disorder, I accept 100% responsibility for my actions and harbor no malice and ill will toward those who disclosed the misconduct or initiated proceedings against me;

Should be this:

I accept 100% responsibility for my actions.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Wed May 27, 2015 3:45 pm

Another option to consider : Consider applying to the recently announced on-line law school program for your final year of law school.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Wed May 27, 2015 3:50 pm

Emphasis should be on the fact that this is a recently manifested & heretofore undiagnosed illness that is being successfully treated through medication & intensive therapy. (Although the word "intensive" might frighten some readers, it is your description & should be shared if true since it is a primary reason for wanting to remain in the city.)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed May 27, 2015 3:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:This:

"Although my past disruptive behaviors directly and proximately stemmed from my then-untreated bipolar disorder, I accept 100% responsibility for my actions and harbor no malice and ill will toward those who disclosed the misconduct or initiated proceedings against me;

Should be this:

I think it is important for them to know that I bear no ill will towards the authorities who disciplined me.

TheLaw2015

Postby TheLaw2015 » Wed May 27, 2015 3:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I would like to be brief. Problem is, the Bar gets access to all of your law school applications. If there is any discrepancy between what the Bar finds out about you thru investigation and what you disclose, then you may get dinged for C&F. I want to leave nothing to their imagination.

Were you ever dropped, suspended, expelled, warned, placed on probation, or subject to any disciplinary action or charges at any educational institution you attended? If the answer is yes, please detail the exact nature of the action and the dates on a separate page or electronic attachment and enclose with your application.

Answer their question, let them know that if they have any further questions, you are an open book. IMO.

blsingindisguise

Postby blsingindisguise » Wed May 27, 2015 3:52 pm

Cut the crap with the high-flying adjectives. "Sordid" "Ignominious" etc. You sound almost like a hype-man for your own problems -- you should be toning them down and focusing more on how you've addressed the situation instead. I'd also make the bipolar disorder explicit much earlier, even though "manic state" implies it. You might just say something like "I did not know at the time that I had undiagnosed bipolar disorder. As a result of this..."

TheLaw2015

Postby TheLaw2015 » Wed May 27, 2015 3:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:This:

Should be this:

I think it is important for them to know that I bear no ill will towards the authorities who disciplined me.

I never assumed you did, but now that you mention it... See what I did there?

Lacepiece23

Postby Lacepiece23 » Wed May 27, 2015 4:03 pm

Just a question. I'm about to send my addendums in. They are a paragraph long. Is this two short. One is just to clear up a detail that I messed up on the application. The other is to disclose a minor incident from high school that may or may not fall within the question. So I put in under misc. Too short? Should I expound more? Or will they not care and just interview me about it?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed May 27, 2015 4:06 pm

I'm OP. I think length should be commensurate with the seriousness of the incident. My incidents were recent and serious, so that's why I wrote a book. A paragraph should be fine for some incident from high school.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed May 27, 2015 4:14 pm

CanadianWolf--is that recently announced online law school program ABA-accredited?

blsingindisguise

Postby blsingindisguise » Wed May 27, 2015 4:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm OP. I think length should be commensurate with the seriousness of the incident. My incidents were recent and serious, so that's why I wrote a book. A paragraph should be fine for some incident from high school.

You are wrong.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed May 27, 2015 4:21 pm

^

Lacepiece23

Postby Lacepiece23 » Wed May 27, 2015 5:03 pm

blsingindisguise wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I'm OP. I think length should be commensurate with the seriousness of the incident. My incidents were recent and serious, so that's why I wrote a book. A paragraph should be fine for some incident from high school.

You are wrong.

What part is op wrong about? The fact that my hs thing should be a paragraph or that op should have wrote a book?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed May 27, 2015 5:07 pm

Unless you threatened to blow up the school or something of that nature, a paragraph should suffice for high school discipline.

blsingindisguise

Postby blsingindisguise » Wed May 27, 2015 5:32 pm

Lacepiece23 wrote:
blsingindisguise wrote:

You are wrong.

What part is op wrong about? The fact that my hs thing should be a paragraph or that op should have wrote a book?

About the length of his. It's too long.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed May 27, 2015 5:51 pm

Edit--double post.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Wed May 27, 2015 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed May 27, 2015 5:52 pm

I'm terrified that if I leave anything out, I will get dinged by C&F for "lack of candor". What specifically should I omit?

hlsperson1111

Postby hlsperson1111 » Wed May 27, 2015 6:07 pm

[quote="Anonymous User"]Any feedback on this C&F addendum would be appreciated. I would like to visit away at a law school in my home city for my 3L year so I can network and eventually get a job there. As I am discussing visiting for the third year, this doesn't really fit in the transfer or law school admissions forums, so I wasn't sure where else to put it. First application deadline is June 1, 2015.
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

In fall 2013, I suffered a manic episode. During that time, I sent inappropriate and harassing communications to other students at [School]. As a result, [School] placed me on probation from [Date] until [Date]. [School] also ordered me to stay away from the individuals involved in these incidents, but subsequently lifted that order with respect to almost all the individuals.

In fall 2014, I suffered another manic episode. During that time, I vandalized [public/school/private] property and sent inappropriate and harassing communications to other students at [School]. [School] subsequently initiated disciplinary proceedings, placed me on interim suspension, ordered me to stay off campus pending the adjudication of those proceedings. After undergoing evaluation by University Counseling Services, I elected to take a medical withdrawal from [School] in lieu of undergoing disciplinary proceedings. I was allowed to reapply for the Fall 2015 semester on the condition that I undergo mental health treatment.

Since withdrawing, I was diagnosed with and have received intensive outpatient treatment for bipolar disorder. I received individual psychotherapy from several providers and was prescribed antipsychotic medication. I have also participated in a support group and receive daily support from family members. I have also made productive use of this time by volunteering at legal aid organizations, including [X], [Y], and [Z].

Prior to these incidents, I had a clean disciplinary record. After I was diagnosed with bipolar disorder and initiated treatment, I have not faced any further disciplinary action. I have never been charged with or convicted of a crime. I am fortunate that I had the opportunity to rehabilitate myself and treat my bipolar disorder, and I hope to continue my education at [School] next fall.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Wed May 27, 2015 6:15 pm

Yes, the on-line JD degree program is ABA accredited to the best of my knowledge. I learned of the program from posts on TLS about 2 days ago.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Wed May 27, 2015 6:30 pm

Search for William Mitchell College of Law online JD degree program.

blsingindisguise

Postby blsingindisguise » Wed May 27, 2015 6:30 pm

hlsperson1111 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Any feedback on this C&F addendum would be appreciated. I would like to visit away at a law school in my home city for my 3L year so I can network and eventually get a job there. As I am discussing visiting for the third year, this doesn't really fit in the transfer or law school admissions forums, so I wasn't sure where else to put it. First application deadline is June 1, 2015.

In fall 2013, I suffered a manic episode. During that time, I sent inappropriate and harassing communications to other students at [School]. As a result, [School] placed me on probation from [Date] until [Date]. [School] also ordered me to stay away from the individuals involved in these incidents, but subsequently lifted that order with respect to almost all the individuals.

In fall 2014, I suffered another manic episode. During that time, I vandalized [public/school/private] property and sent inappropriate and harassing communications to other students at [School]. [School] subsequently initiated disciplinary proceedings, placed me on interim suspension, ordered me to stay off campus pending the adjudication of those proceedings. After undergoing evaluation by University Counseling Services, I elected to take a medical withdrawal from [School] in lieu of undergoing disciplinary proceedings. I was allowed to reapply for the Fall 2015 semester on the condition that I undergo mental health treatment.

Since withdrawing, I was diagnosed with and have received intensive outpatient treatment for bipolar disorder. I received individual psychotherapy from several providers and was prescribed antipsychotic medication. I have also participated in a support group and receive daily support from family members. I have also made productive use of this time by volunteering at legal aid organizations, including [X], [Y], and [Z].

Prior to these incidents, I had a clean disciplinary record. After I was diagnosed with bipolar disorder and initiated treatment, I have not faced any further disciplinary action. I have never been charged with or convicted of a crime. I am fortunate that I had the opportunity to rehabilitate myself and treat my bipolar disorder, and I hope to continue my education at [School] next fall.

This x 1000. You should charge him for it.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed May 27, 2015 6:35 pm

It's not fully online though. It says here that it is a part campus/part online hybrid program: http://web.wmitchell.edu/admissions/hybrid-program/ :(

Should I ask my psychiatrist/psychotherapist/support group director for a LOR? My redemption crusade will probably be more convincing coming from them.

Return to “Legal Employment”