New Dad, Big Law

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

New Dad, Big Law

Postby Anonymous User » Tue May 26, 2015 4:48 pm

I'm joining a V10 in NYC this fall. My wife and I are expecting our first child to be born soon afterwards. Any insight/advice/reflections from current or former biglaw attorneys who have trodden down this path? It would be particularly helpful to hear from attorneys whose SO was/is also a working professional as opposed to a stay-at-home parent (nothing wrong with that, but the former would be more relevant to my situation). Thanks in advance.

UpandDown97

Re: New Dad, Big Law

Postby UpandDown97 » Tue May 26, 2015 4:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm joining a V10 in NYC this fall. My wife and I are expecting our first child to be born soon afterwards. Any insight/advice/reflections from current or former biglaw attorneys who have trodden down this path? It would be particularly helpful to hear from attorneys whose SO was/is also a working professional as opposed to a stay-at-home parent (nothing wrong with that, but the former would be more relevant to my situation). Thanks in advance.

Below is a post from "Lawyers: What's Your Typical Day" that applies. A few posters commented on the little sleep that the poster got each night.

Anonymous User wrote:Junior biglaw general lit with a spouse and toddler that I like to spend time with: (large, non-NYC market)

5:00 - Wake up, shower, make coffee

5:30 - put in an hour or so of work on little things like proofing documents I was working on the night before, answering emails, etc.

6:30 - get dressed, wake kid and spouse, get kid changed and ready while we sing songs, read, hang out, and spouse makes breakfast & gets ready for their day

7:45 - leave for work from suburbs, I don't do work on the morning commute unless it's something that can't wait.

8:45 - get to work, get coffee, enter time from yesterday, attempt to file and organize emails, get a game plan for the day. since i try to leave at a reasonable time, i find it's worth taking some time to really map out my day to avoid the time suck as much as possible.

9:30 - start whatever task is most urgent or due that day. The way my schedule works, I have a couple larger cases I work on and can handle anything from proofing partners or sr. associates work, drafting smaller motions and sometimes briefs, research projects. A lot of my work as a jr. assoc. is being responsible for documents, and being responsive to requests from partners quickly. But I also never know when I may get a call from a partner I work with asking me to pitch in on X case they're also handling.

12:30 - run and grab lunch. a lot of working parents magazines suggest packing lunches, but I really enjoy a chance to stretch my legs and get outside for a bit.

1:00 - get back to desk, eat and continue working.

5:30 - figure out what i can work on from home and what i will need to pack up and bring with me. leave. with the caveat that if it's a crazy time in a case, or something urgent crops up there are days I stay and work late at work, but those days are uncommon.

6:30 - get home, play with kid, eat dinner, keep and eye on email just to make sure I don't miss something urgent, give kid bath, hand off to spouse to put to bed.

9:00 - log back on, work another couple hours on whatever I didn't finish up at work. Respond to emails that rolled in, make sure I didn't miss something I need to work on that night.

11:00 - fall asleep on the couch, spouse wakes me up, go up to bed.

Some days I don't hit a full 8 billable, but most I do. I work roughly 4-6 hrs on the weekend even though I don't have to on this schedule, but every couple weeks if things slow down I like to take advantage and come home super early and weekend hours give a nice cushion to do that.

ruski

Postby ruski » Tue May 26, 2015 5:01 pm

its certainly a challenge. youll spend a lot on nannies assuming your wife is working.

what most people is do is come in a little later - 10/10:30 instead of say 930. your kid will long be sleeping by the time you come home (even on your good days). your mornings is your only time with them so a lot of dads take a larger role in the morning. assuming your not gunning for partner no will care you strolling in 1030 if you work late everyday.

not sure if the above is accurate. I rarely come home at 630. on a good day you can expect to leave around 6/630. normal nyc commute is anywhere from 30 min - 1 hour.

Coprolalia

Postby Coprolalia » Wed May 27, 2015 9:55 pm

My experience Is different. (Baby just before law school started), but we found this book really helpful: 'bringing up bebe'

There is no reason LO shouldn't get 12 hours of sleep a night after three months. It's not really hard once you have that. Don't let anyone tell you different.

Edit: and congratulations. :)

Return to “Legal Employment”