Applying for 2016 2L SA Positions As Soon As Grades Are In?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
hopinandprayin

Applying for 2016 2L SA Positions As Soon As Grades Are In?

Postby hopinandprayin » Tue May 26, 2015 4:17 pm

Is it too early to mass-mail or reach out to connections made during 1L networking with applications in mid June assuming that grades are in?

There was some discussion that it might be better to wait until mid to late July?

Thoughts anybody?

Thanks!

POTUSorSCOTUS

Re: Applying for 2016 2L SA Positions As Soon As Grades Are In?

Postby POTUSorSCOTUS » Tue May 26, 2015 4:38 pm

Last year I started applying June 7th. Not sure what others did.

lososos

Postby lososos » Tue May 26, 2015 9:48 pm

other threads generally say you should wait to mass mail because firms might not be hiring yet and you'll just get put on their backburner. i dunno if that's still the case.

but i don't see why you couldn't reach out to your network/contacts earlier on

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue May 26, 2015 10:25 pm

Do this. It's significantly easier to be yourself once you have an offer so the advantage is two-fold: you're also advantaged at every interview after you have 1 offer, or more cynically, disadvantaged at every interview where you don't yet have 1 offer but a comparable applicant does.

hopinandprayin

Postby hopinandprayin » Wed May 27, 2015 1:10 pm

POTUSorSCOTUS wrote:Last year I started applying June 7th. Not sure what others did.

How did that work out for you? I assume it took firms awhile to get back to you given what has been discussed below?

POTUSorSCOTUS

Postby POTUSorSCOTUS » Wed May 27, 2015 1:26 pm

hopinandprayin wrote:
POTUSorSCOTUS wrote:Last year I started applying June 7th. Not sure what others did.

How did that work out for you? I assume it took firms awhile to get back to you given what has been discussed below?

Worked fine for me

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Wed May 27, 2015 1:39 pm

depends on where you go to school and what type of firms you're applying to. if you're at a T14 targeting a major market, that level of ground game is overkill IMO (I know others on this site differ). At a regional school looking to get out or for a target market that doesn't frequent your OCI, yea, mass mail the shit out of it all summer ASAP. For NY, I think it's a little silly because realistically speaking, the pre-OCI CBs go to people with great grades who would most likely have received those offers at OCI anyway. On the other hand, if you can save yourself the trouble of OCI altogether, that's terrific.

Return to “Legal Employment”