When should I begin to mass mail for post-3L jobs?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

When should I begin to mass mail for post-3L jobs?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon May 25, 2015 10:48 am

Disclaimer - 2L SA @ T14

Facts - I am at a firm that has a 50% post-grad offer rate for their SAs. My firm does not extend offers until Mid-October. Not sure if I want Corp or Lit.

Question - When should I begin to apply/mass-mail for post-3L jobs in NYC/DC/CA/Chi?

Devlin

Re: When should I begin to mass mail for post-3L jobs?

Postby Devlin » Mon May 25, 2015 11:10 am

Anonymous User wrote:Disclaimer - 2L SA @ T14

Facts - I am at a firm that has a 50% post-grad offer rate for their SAs. My firm does not extend offers until Mid-October. Not sure if I want Corp or Lit.

Question - When should I begin to apply/mass-mail for post-3L jobs in NYC/DC/CA/Chi?

Now and until you have a job offer.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon May 25, 2015 11:22 am

Is this credited? What if the firm I'm currently SAing at catches wind that I am actively applying to other firms??

Is there a better time to start applying?

How do I figure out which firms are hiring for certain positions? Do I just use my school's simplicity page or are there other resources?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon May 25, 2015 11:37 am

Anonymous User wrote:
How do I figure out which firms are hiring for certain positions? Do I just use my school's simplicity page or are there other resources?

My firm is also not 100% offer and I'm just assuming the answer here is "all of them." Let them tell you different.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon May 25, 2015 12:43 pm

But would it be bad to send out some mass-mails with a cover letter saying "Im interested in Corp", but then you come to find out they have a need for real estate, or some other practice area? I don't want to cross myself off their list by being interested in a practice area they don't have a need for.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue May 26, 2015 10:49 am

Bump

Devlin

Postby Devlin » Tue May 26, 2015 11:06 am

Anonymous User wrote:But would it be bad to send out some mass-mails with a cover letter saying "Im interested in Corp", but then you come to find out they have a need for real estate, or some other practice area? I don't want to cross myself off their list by being interested in a practice area they don't have a need for.

Say you are interested in about three things they do. Don't go all in on one practice area. Find two other areas that the firm does that you would be comfortable with.

If you have multiple options, great, pick one that does corporate. If, however, you get one bite and it's real estate then beggars cannot be choosers.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue May 26, 2015 1:59 pm

My resume screams Litigation, but next semester I'm taking all Corp classes (I just wanted to be well-rounded).

Would it be odd to write in my cover letter that I am interested in Litigation, Securities, and Real Estate (because these are so different, and my resume only indicates litigation)?

Advice please

Devlin

Postby Devlin » Tue May 26, 2015 2:37 pm

I do no think it is a problem. If you get the interview make sure you have a compelling reason why you listed the three options. If in the interview you sense that it is for one of the specific areas or they tell you you are interviewing specifically for one of the areas then obviously play that one up more and let them know you would be happy with it despite your interest in the other areas.

When I mass mailed I usually told the firms I was interested in corp, bankr, and real estate. I had compelling reasons for each one and never had difficulty conveying that.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue May 26, 2015 2:58 pm

Also, will I face severe problems given the fact that I will not know if I receive an offer until October but will be interviewing in July-September? Don't firms during 3L want to make sure the interviewee received an offer from their prior firm?

Devlin

Postby Devlin » Tue May 26, 2015 3:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Also, will I face severe problems given the fact that I will not know if I receive an offer until October but will be interviewing in July-September? Don't firms during 3L want to make sure the interviewee received an offer from their prior firm?

I ran in to this problem. Simply say that your current firm does not make decisions until later in the year and that you are using this time to explore other opportunities.

Return to “Legal Employment”