Which is better: 2nd tier journal v. Financial regulator internship during 2L?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Which is better: 2nd tier journal v. Financial regulator internship during 2L?

Postby Anonymous User » Sun May 24, 2015 7:53 pm

Rising 2L. CCN. Just above median. Thus, little chance at making law review. For the sake of future employment prospects should I, 1) apply for a 2nd tier journal position or should I 2) extend my 1L summer internship at a financial regulator? It would be part-time (maybe 2 days a week), paid, substantive legal work.

Would taking the later and not the former hurt me at OCI? Would not doing any journal hurt my chances of getting a fed. District clerkship someday? (Assume I don't care where).

Edited for Clarity
Last edited by Anonymous User on Sun May 24, 2015 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

POTUSorSCOTUS

Re: Which is better: 2nd tier journal v. Financial regulator internship during 2L?

Postby POTUSorSCOTUS » Sun May 24, 2015 8:09 pm

I would try the write-on over the summer for 2ndary journal only if there is a notable 2ndary that ensures publication of your note - otherwise, it's a waste (unless you really enjoy that stuff)

nothing wrong with doing an externship during the year - also, it won't hurt you during OCI as long as you're interested in Corp and can explain why (and how the internship is related/provides relevant experience)

banjo

Re: Which is better: 2nd tier journal v. Financial regulator internship during 2L?

Postby banjo » Sun May 24, 2015 8:33 pm

You can do both. If you're at CLS there are some pretty chill journals (10-15 hours per semester). Also you won't have to study that much in 2L.

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Wed May 27, 2015 2:27 pm

banjo wrote:You can do both. If you're at CLS there are some pretty chill journals (10-15 hours per semester). Also you won't have to study that much in 2L.

+1

swc65

Postby swc65 » Thu May 28, 2015 1:22 pm

Secondary journals usually require one or two days per semester of work. It should not interfere with you internship.

Return to “Legal Employment”