No LR No legal job. 2L OCI hiring. Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

No LR No legal job. 2L OCI hiring.

Post by Anonymous User » Wed May 20, 2015 11:56 pm

Hi guys I think I might try and go through OCI and biglaw hiring this summer/fall.
I have
a)I have good but not great grades(probably a 3.65-3.75 at a T30 which is competitive enough).
b) I won't have law review.
c) I don't have a legal job this summer(F500 Corp Dev/Strat)
d) I'm a straight white male.

How should I approach this? I'm thinking trying to pitch an interest in M&A/corporate really hard?

I actually would prefer to not practice law but I figure I should hedge my bets and try and get an offer in biglaw for 3L post-grad and then recruit for mba type roles(since the recruiting seasons actually cross then).

Side note- In law school because <2.5 undergrad gpa, K-JD, good $$$ scholarship.

PoopNpants

Silver

Re: No LR No legal job. 2L OCI hiring.

Post by PoopNpants » Thu May 21, 2015 12:40 am

How you get $$$ if you had an undergrad GPA below 2.5?

MOD: User has been outted and warned. The legal employment forum is not for 0Ls.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Thu May 21, 2015 4:17 am

You're at a T30 so you're probably preselect, meaning you won't have much choice of which interviews you get at OCI. Just mass mail everywhere you would be comfortable living and try to pitch your F500 job as a reason for wanting to do transactional work.

ndirish2010

Gold

Post by ndirish2010 » Thu May 21, 2015 12:27 pm

bk1 wrote:You're at a T30 so you're probably preselect, meaning you won't have much choice of which interviews you get at OCI. Just mass mail everywhere you would be comfortable living and try to pitch your F500 job as a reason for wanting to do transactional work.
Not all T30s are preselect. I mentioned that to CDO at ND and they had no idea that most of our peer schools preselected almost everyone at OCI, whereas we were pure lottery, at least while I was there.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu May 21, 2015 4:51 pm

Make sure you're resume is clean w/o errors and points in the direction of interest. I am at a T20 with 3.3 goal and landed offers at big-law firms in major markets it's all about selling yourself. If you don't get a OCI interview, try and slip into an interview when someone doesn't show or the interviewer has a free moment. Landed me an interview and an offer at a v10 firm.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”