Should I Be Looking to Lateral Already?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Should I Be Looking to Lateral Already?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed May 20, 2015 3:41 pm

I graduated last May and have been practicing at a small firm (22 attorneys) for less than a year. I'm starting to feel a little weird about my firm. Profits suck, costs are high, and business has been on the decline for seemingly a decade.

This kind of leads me to believe that my job security might eventually be at risk, but since I've already discussed that in another thread, I'd like to get some advice in case I want to lateral to a mid-size or bigger firm. I'm not interested in major markets but would love to get into either the bigger firms in Cleveland or Pittsburgh.

So, a few questions:

(1) Is it possible/likely to lateral from small law to big law?

(2) If so, what should I be doing, and when should I be thinking about making a move?
Last edited by Anonymous User on Wed May 20, 2015 4:20 pm, edited 4 times in total.

smallfirmassociate

Re: Feeling Weird About my (Small) Firm...Should I Be Looking to Lateral?

Postby smallfirmassociate » Wed May 20, 2015 3:59 pm

Didn't you already start a thread about this? If not, there is another thread with remarkably similar questions and background floating around out there.

Anonymous User

Re: Feeling Weird About my (Small) Firm...Should I Be Looking to Lateral?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed May 20, 2015 4:08 pm

OP here. I did make a similar post a few weeks ago, but that focused more on my job security. I've heard more and more rumblings since then and now I'm starting to think that lateraling is all but certain for various reasons. Thus, I started this thread in hopes to get advice about lateraling from small law to big law/bigger firms.

smallfirmassociate

Re: Should I Be Looking to Lateral Already?

Postby smallfirmassociate » Wed May 20, 2015 4:34 pm

Ok, thought I might be going crazy for a minute there. Like a mod deleted the rest of the post and bumped the OP or something.

I work for a small firm, and I haven't seen anyone lateral to biglaw. Of course, I haven't seen anyone WANT to lateral to biglaw. As far as exit options go, we've had a few lawyers move to the bench, a few go to government jobs, and a few transfer to other similar firms in other markets where they decided they wanted to live.

If you don't have a particular specialty/skill/reputation, it might be tough.

Return to “Legal Employment”