About to start SA position - Already Regretting It Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

About to start SA position - Already Regretting It

Post by Anonymous User » Tue May 19, 2015 9:34 pm

Hello everyone,

I was fortunate to get a big law SA position for this summer. My firm is located several hours away from hometown and where I go to law school. I start tomorrow, but I already am missing home terribly. In fact, I was second guessing my decision to accept the position throughout the year. The only reason I accepted was b/c it was the only big law offer I received. I already know that I would strongly consider declining a permanent offer if afforded one just b/c I want to go back home.

Am I crazy for feeling this way? I just know that for me personally at this point it is not about the money. However, if I were to decline a potential permanent offer, are my job prospects completely doomed? If it matters, I go to a T40 school and am median. Any advice from people who have been in this position and returned home would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

swampman

Bronze

Re: About to start SA position - Already Regretting It

Post by swampman » Tue May 19, 2015 9:38 pm

Are there firms in your hometown? Why didn't you apply there in the first place?

Also do you live with your parents?

WokeUpInACar

Platinum

Post by WokeUpInACar » Tue May 19, 2015 9:39 pm

You got biglaw from median at a t40 and want to reject a full-time offer? Are you retarded?

heymom

New

Post by heymom » Tue May 19, 2015 9:44 pm

swampman wrote:Are there firms in your hometown? Why didn't you apply there in the first place?

Also do you live with your parents?
I did apply to several firms in my hometown but didn't get any offers. I applied to this firm on a whim, and got a job offer. Granted, I kind of gave up on the job search after I got this offer. I thought I would be okay with leaving but have strongly regretted my decision ever since.

Although I do not live with my parents they were nearby and see them a few times a week.

pancakes3

Platinum

Post by pancakes3 » Tue May 19, 2015 9:46 pm

Probably just the yips, unless you also went to UG in your home town and have legitimate anxiety issues which even if that was the case, you should probably medicate and try to get over it. Or turn down the offer and try to find work in your home market. Whatever. Doesn't sound like too serious a problem. It's only 10-12 weeks.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Johann

Diamond

Post by Johann » Tue May 19, 2015 9:47 pm

just work there over SA get your offer. work for a year and go to your hometown market.

TTTooKewl

New

Post by TTTooKewl » Tue May 19, 2015 9:53 pm

My opinion is that you should try to embrace the SA this summer. Many people leave 'home' / families move / work takes them to new places. It is normal for an adult to do so. That said, I completely respect a personal preference to be close to the familiar and to the family. But--I think you should at least experience leaving before deciding to stay at home (presumably) for the foreseeable future (rest of your life?). It's 8-12 weeks to experience something new, confirm to yourself that you do indeed prefer to be closer to home.

The beginning will surely be the toughest as you adjust. Also - several hours from home, driving, is still very closeby.

Actus Reus

Bronze

Post by Actus Reus » Tue May 19, 2015 9:56 pm

Sounds like you need to toughen up and grow up.

Rejecting your offer with nothing else is sight is career suicide. You're not that far away - just go home on weekends.

lapolicia

Bronze

Post by lapolicia » Tue May 19, 2015 10:24 pm

You're in an extremely fortunate position. Not only did you get biglaw when the odds were against you, but you got it only a few hours driving from the city where you ideally want to live. Many people end up 6 hours flying time away from their hometowns, which they miss terribly. Do the SA, get the offer, and then work there for a year before you start looking (while continuing to work there) in your hometown. It's much easier to get legal jobs in the locations you want when you have experience to offer, especially if that experience is with a well known firm. And I have a feeling that once you live in the other city for a bit you'll realize that being only a few hours from home isn't at all a big deal. Maybe you'll like it there, but if you don't, nothing wrong with going back on the weekends over the summer, and once or twice a month when you're an associate. If you don't take the SA, the difference between where your career would be if you did is astronomical.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue May 19, 2015 10:33 pm

Missing home terribly? Have you never lived anywhere else? Welcome to being an adult. Tons of people live thousands of miles away from their families for years on end (I did this in my mid-late twenties before LS, would see my family about twice a year), and you're complaining about a summer job because it's a few hours away? I have a hard time believing you're actually serious, but if so a summer away is something you desperately need.

J9ofDiamonds

Gold

Post by J9ofDiamonds » Wed May 20, 2015 1:59 am

149, really obvious troll

ManoftheHour

Gold

Post by ManoftheHour » Wed May 20, 2015 2:04 am

WokeUpInACar wrote:You got biglaw from median at a t40 and want to reject a full-time offer? Are you retarded?

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Wed May 20, 2015 10:32 am

WokeUpInACar wrote:You got biglaw from median at a t40 and want to reject a full-time offer? Are you retarded?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

POTUSorSCOTUS

Bronze

Post by POTUSorSCOTUS » Wed May 20, 2015 2:17 pm

jbagelboy wrote:

mephistopheles

Gold

Post by mephistopheles » Wed May 20, 2015 6:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Missing home terribly? Have you never lived anywhere else? Welcome to being an adult. Tons of people live thousands of miles away from their families for years on end (I did this in my mid-late twenties before LS, would see my family about twice a year), and you're complaining about a summer job because it's a few hours away? I have a hard time believing you're actually serious, but if so a summer away is something you desperately need.

crucial anon

but agreed, what even is a "hometown," anyways??

mandimeoutof10

Bronze

Post by mandimeoutof10 » Wed May 20, 2015 8:07 pm

dixiecupdrinking

Gold

Post by dixiecupdrinking » Wed May 20, 2015 8:20 pm

It will get better once you have work to do and get settled. Stick it out. I'm not going to call you a troll or retarded, but it's true that you will very likely regret it if you bail.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

sparty99

Gold

Post by sparty99 » Wed May 20, 2015 10:21 pm

I'm calling you retarded. Cry me a river. Cry baby.

KD35

Silver

Post by KD35 » Wed May 20, 2015 11:04 pm

I don't understand how you can regret a 30k job for 10 weeks. Sounds like the life.

J9ofDiamonds

Gold

Post by J9ofDiamonds » Thu May 21, 2015 12:53 am

J9ofDiamonds wrote:149, really obvious troll

L’Étranger

Bronze

Post by L’Étranger » Thu May 21, 2015 1:00 am

A very good flame. Well done.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”