What does a research assignment look like for transactional work?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

What does a research assignment look like for transactional work?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon May 18, 2015 12:44 am

Stupid question I know, but I'm honestly am not quite clear what sort of projects I'm going to be looking at this summer. For M&A, for instance, are we going to be looking at antitrust regulations or rather researching internal documents to see any red flags? Hard for me to discern what sort of issues would be appropriate for a summer.

Re: What does a research assignment look like for transactional work?

Postby 2014 » Mon May 18, 2015 1:08 am

A lot of shadowing calls probably, low level diligence, producing first drafts of sections or documents (usually like signature pages, amendments, etc), maybe discrete research if it's a regulatory practice, maybe taking a first look at a document that comes in to spot and discuss issues.

It's tough to parse stuff out and most projects won't cleanly start and finish on the summer schedule so it's just a matter of what the first and second years can break off from their own work to babysit you through and to the extent you can't, you will observe the higher level stuff and just be another set of ears, eyes, and questions.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon May 18, 2015 2:37 am

^^ Useful perspective, thank you.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon May 18, 2015 12:01 pm

^ This,

When I was a 2L I did a SA with a small M&A/Start-Up Law Firm and really what I did was put contracts together (changing names, articles, sections around) did the due diligence to make sure everything that needed to said was said somewhere. As for research, maybe some SEC research or filing things in Delaware (like they all do).

abogadesq

Postby abogadesq » Sat May 23, 2015 9:46 am

EDIT: Nevermind

desertlaw

Postby desertlaw » Mon May 25, 2015 10:01 pm

"Pull 10 merger agreements of public companies in the past year in the consumer good industry, and then pull all of the reps and warranties regarding data security; analyze differences"

"Go through these 100 documents in the dataroom and fill out the chart on what governing law is"

"Run the office gambling pool for the U.S. Open"

Return to “Legal Employment”