do you need a writing sample for OCI? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
umichman

Bronze

do you need a writing sample for OCI?

Post by umichman » Sat May 16, 2015 2:19 pm

Or not

transferror

Silver

Re: do you need a writing sample for OCI?

Post by transferror » Sat May 16, 2015 2:25 pm

This question is better suited for your CSO, but some firms don't ask for one, some firms want one with the initial app, some only at CB.

You should have one.

Yukos

Gold

Post by Yukos » Sat May 16, 2015 2:54 pm

You need to have one. I just used my LRW brief and it was fine.

cookiejar1

Silver

Post by cookiejar1 » Sat May 16, 2015 3:07 pm

I used my unedited median/below median brief that literally had a typo in the first paragraph explaining the prompt. Didn't get dinged post-cb by any firm that required a writing sample—so I don't think anyone seriously reads them. But that's just me. Don't leave egregious errors in your writing sample but also don't worry about perfecting it.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat May 16, 2015 3:32 pm

I would just make sure there's no obvious errors like forgetting the year when you cite a case. A firm actually called a friend of mine and told him he had to fix a Bluebooking mistake before they would give him a CB, which was embarrassing if nothing else. But yeah, I doubt they're really reading for substance.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

bearsfan23

Gold

Post by bearsfan23 » Sat May 16, 2015 3:45 pm

You need one, because there are many firms that require them as part of the interview/CB process.

From my experience at least, I highly doubt they even get read (maybe with a few exceptions). I had a really dumb typo that I later noticed and it didn't seem to affect how I did.

So my advice - just make sure its something presentable, I wouldn't waste a ton of time trying to make it perfect though

Avian

Bronze

Post by Avian » Sat May 16, 2015 5:18 pm

I was told by one biglaw managing partner that they carefully comb through the writing samples. This was just one firm and it is probably not the norm, but don't think that all firms give them a cursory glance. I would definitely go back and at least check for obvious stuff if you're using a legal writing assignment.

filibuster

Bronze

Post by filibuster » Sun May 17, 2015 9:26 am

at a callback with a lit boutique, two of the associates spent 30 minutes asking me about the substance of my writing sample. If you do turn it in, I would be prepared to discuss it (although most firms who asked for it did not ask me about it).

ymmv

Diamond

Post by ymmv » Sun May 17, 2015 9:57 am

Anonymous User wrote: A firm actually called a friend of mine and told him he had to fix a Bluebooking mistake before they would give him a CB, which was embarrassing if nothing else.
I don't for a second believe this story is true, but if it is, fucking lol.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”