Looking Back - Mistakes as First Year

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Looking Back - Mistakes as First Year

Postby Anonymous User » Wed May 13, 2015 12:12 pm

I'm in my first year in biglaw. Was wondering how many/what kind of mistakes you made as a first year, whether these are expected by more senior associates/partners, and how you progressed (looking back as a 2+ yr associate). Biglaw employees (or former employees) only please...

logdog

Re: Looking Back - Mistakes as First Year

Postby logdog » Wed May 13, 2015 12:19 pm

Posting on TLS instead of billing.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed May 13, 2015 12:24 pm

That's more of a 2nd year thing?

swc65

Postby swc65 » Wed May 13, 2015 4:42 pm

Working too hard when the bar was so low- worrying too much

desertlaw

Postby desertlaw » Wed May 13, 2015 5:47 pm

Thinking that everything was mission-critical, had to drop everything I was doing, even if a Saturday when I'm at the beach. Not really a mistake, but something you learn along the way about what is needed ASAP and what can wait, and when you can ask about the expectation.

Big Shrimpin

Postby Big Shrimpin » Thu May 14, 2015 8:00 am

not letting group know my thoughts on issues/staying silent when i shouldve weighed-in

no ragrets

Omerta

Postby Omerta » Thu May 14, 2015 11:30 am

One common thing I've noticed is that a lot of associates are total pushovers when it comes to fencing off time for themselves. Sure, you gotta get the important stuff done, but you don't need to flush your vacation down the toilet for a fake deadline. If you want to be treated like a person, act like you have the rights of one and don't submissively urinate every time a partner emails you.

The cardinal rule is don't take on more than you can handle. I've never known of an associate getting fired/pushed out for turning down work (unless the associate turned down everything all the time). I know lots of associates who overloaded themselves, turned in subpar work, and then permanently lost the ability to get work from that partner.

Be nice to support staff, junior associates, opposing counsel, and court employees. Karma is a bitch, so don't make her angry.

Everybody makes mistakes. When (not if) you make one, own up to it, explain what you've done to fix it and what you plan to do to make sure it doesn't happen again. Don't send 15 apology emails, just own it and move on with your life.

Big Shrimpin

Postby Big Shrimpin » Fri May 15, 2015 9:30 am

Omerta wrote:One common thing I've noticed is that a lot of associates are total pushovers when it comes to fencing off time for themselves. Sure, you gotta get the important stuff done, but you don't need to flush your vacation down the toilet for a fake deadline. If you want to be treated like a person, act like you have the rights of one and don't submissively urinate every time a partner emails you.

The cardinal rule is don't take on more than you can handle. I've never known of an associate getting fired/pushed out for turning down work (unless the associate turned down everything all the time). I know lots of associates who overloaded themselves, turned in subpar work, and then permanently lost the ability to get work from that partner.

Be nice to support staff, junior associates, opposing counsel, and court employees. Karma is a bitch, so don't make her angry.

Everybody makes mistakes. When (not if) you make one, own up to it, explain what you've done to fix it and what you plan to do to make sure it doesn't happen again. Don't send 15 apology emails, just own it and move on with your life.

cosigned and very highly credited

KidStuddi

Postby KidStuddi » Sat May 16, 2015 6:43 am

Omerta wrote:One common thing I've noticed is that a lot of associates are total pushovers when it comes to fencing off time for themselves. Sure, you gotta get the important stuff done, but you don't need to flush your vacation down the toilet for a fake deadline. If you want to be treated like a person, act like you have the rights of one and don't submissively urinate every time a partner emails you.

Pretty much ended the thread in a single post. Nice summary.

Return to “Legal Employment”