Reneging on acceptance

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Reneging on acceptance

Postby Anonymous User » Tue May 12, 2015 11:17 pm

Facing a tough situation. Recently accepted an offer to join a great firm as an associate. However, I received an interview for basically my dream job at a government agency in a different (preferred) market. Obviously, I wouldn't renege on my acceptance just to interview, but I'm trying to gauge whether it would be worth interviewing for the government position knowing that, if they gave me an offer, I'd have to renege on my acceptance with the firm in order to accept.

Just to clarify, I would be more than fine at my firm, it's just that this government position is a rare and ideal opportunity in my preferred market.

Thoughts?

Other25BeforeYou

Re: Reneging on acceptance

Postby Other25BeforeYou » Tue May 12, 2015 11:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Facing a tough situation. Recently accepted an offer to join a great firm as an associate. However, I received an interview for basically my dream job at a government agency in a different (preferred) market. Obviously, I wouldn't renege on my acceptance just to interview, but I'm trying to gauge whether it would be worth interviewing for the government position knowing that, if they gave me an offer, I'd have to renege on my acceptance with the firm in order to accept.

Just to clarify, I would be more than fine at my firm, it's just that this government position is a rare and ideal opportunity in my preferred market.

Thoughts?

Interview either way, it's always good experience. If you get the job and want to accept it, I'd probably do it. Particularly since it's in a different market (so the firm's opinion of you after you back out presumably won't impact your career).

ditch digger

Postby ditch digger » Tue May 12, 2015 11:51 pm

You should totally go to the interview. Does the government job pay more? If it does, and if you get the government job, use that as leverage to make those cheap ass partners to bump up your salary.

Poldy

Postby Poldy » Tue May 12, 2015 11:54 pm

I have a friend who did basically this exact thing but in a different industry. You'll probably permanently burn any bridges with the firm but if you're alright with that, you have to do what's best for you. If that means taking the other job then do it.

Return to “Legal Employment”