in-house positions and ideal/acceptable qualifications Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

in-house positions and ideal/acceptable qualifications

Post by Anonymous User » Tue May 12, 2015 12:03 pm

I live in the SF Bay Area, work at a top firm, and am interested in in applying in-house. Before looking at the in-house jobs available on Indeed and GoInHouse, my impression was that it's generally harder for litigators to make it in-house, and easier for transactional attorneys. But looking at the job postings now, it's hard for me to gauge WHAT experience is desired.

Look at this position at Google, for example: http://www.goinhouse.com/jobs/36687-pro ... -at-google

they want you to advise on regulations, write Terms of Use, etc. for Google products. I could see a litigator with experience in products liability cases or regulatory actions to be a good fit. I could also see a transactioanl attorney with experience reviewing contracts to be a good fit. Which biglaw lawyer do you think this posting is looking for? Or is it looking for someone else -- who works at a small firm that actually deals with these specific issues?

I'd appreciate any insight on what these types of positions ("product counsel") are looking for. Often they seek relatively lesser experience (3 years), so maybe they would be open to a number of types of lawyers? Any experience/thoughts?

Anonymous User

Re: in-house positions and ideal/acceptable qualifications

Post by Anonymous User » Tue May 12, 2015 12:17 pm

here's another example -- what are these guys looking for? http://www.goinhouse.com/jobs/35906-pro ... ice-fusion

how would you draft a cover letter, coming from biglaw, to show you'd be good at supporting compliance efforts and supporting various teams?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue May 12, 2015 11:20 pm

n/m too mean

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu May 14, 2015 12:12 pm

lol the first reply wasn't mean enough?

what's the deal here -- this thread actually addresses real employment and real job postings and no one has anything to say?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”