When to Remove Law School Clinic from Resume?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

How long did you keep law school clinic on your resume?

I never included it
50%
I removed it after my first post law school position
8%
I removed it/plan to remove it after 1 year of legal experience
8%
I removed it/plan to remove it after 2 years out legal experience
No votes
I removed it/plan to remove it after 3 years of legal experience
8%
I removed it/plan to remove it after 5 years of legal experience
25%
I removed it/plan to remove it after 10 years of legal experience
No votes
I never removed it/plan to remove it
No votes

Total votes: 12

SDviaVA

When to Remove Law School Clinic from Resume?

Postby SDviaVA » Sat May 09, 2015 9:52 am

I am a first year associate and I am sprucing up my resume. I have my law school clinic experience listed on my resume, but I am debating weather to take it off. For those who have done a law school clinic, when, if ever, did you remove your clinic experience from your resume? Did you ever include it?

swampman

Re: When to Remove Law School Clinic from Resume?

Postby swampman » Sat May 09, 2015 10:15 am

I'm sure it depends on what experience you got and whether it's still relevant to your job. If you were in court representing clients every day that might be the only in-court experience you have for 5+ years, so I'd leave it on longer for a relevant practice group. If you're a tax associate nobody cares you were in court, so probably take it off. If the clinic was advising start-ups, it might be really relevant for some corporate/transactional jobs, etc.
And if you were doing tax returns for low-income clients in the clinic, it's likely nobody cares even if you're a tax associate, just not useful experience.

SDviaVA

Postby SDviaVA » Sat May 09, 2015 10:20 am

I was afraid of that….The ol "it depends" law school answer. You are probably right. I am a presently working in PI litigation, but I am hoping to transition to commercial litigation. The clinic was in small business/nonprofit transactional work, so its not exactly on point, but it is somewhat related.

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Sat May 09, 2015 12:17 pm

I keep mine on my resume, because it involved representing clients and I think that's useful experience to see. I've condensed it and just list it under "law school" rather going into detail as "experience" now, but if you're only a first year I guess I don't see why you'd take it off entirely, unless you really don't have room for it. I don't think you have to include it if you don't think it helps you, but I don't think you've been out long enough that it would look weird to include it somewhere in some form if you think it helps you.

(Caveat: not in private practice, but not sure it makes a big difference.)

jd20132013

Postby jd20132013 » Sat May 09, 2015 8:15 pm

isn't this...of course it depends

it depends on how much else you have to put on the resume and the quality of the potential replacement

SDviaVA

Postby SDviaVA » Sat May 09, 2015 11:26 pm

jd20132013 wrote:isn't this...of course it depends

it depends on how much else you have to put on the resume and the quality of the potential replacement

I feel I am on the fence so I was hoping to get a feel for how others have handled it.

bruinfan10

Postby bruinfan10 » Mon May 11, 2015 11:01 am

I got to brief and argue an appeal in federal court through my clinic; no way I'm taking that off until another job allows me to top that experience, which could be like 4 years from now.

horriblegb

Postby horriblegb » Mon May 11, 2015 11:39 am

2 years out . . . it ended up being a major talking point for my current position, which I gained a few months ago. They were super interested in my clinic and experiences and I have been put on work related to the same issues. However, if I look for another position in the future, I will probably move it from experience to a bullet under law school

Return to “Legal Employment”