Los Angeles BigLaw Culture (Compared to NYC & SF)

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
bruinfan10

Los Angeles BigLaw Culture (Compared to NYC & SF)

Postby bruinfan10 » Fri May 08, 2015 5:34 pm

Interested in anecdotes on the Los Angeles BigLaw vibe--I know it varies firm to firm and practice group to practice group--but my experience with a firm in SF was that people would go home by 6 PM, have dinner with family/S.O., and then log back in again in the evening. My friends in NYC Biglaw say they stay at the office later and there's more of an all-in kind of vibe than in California. Anyone know where Los Angeles might fall on that spectrum? Especially interested to hear about firms like Latham/OMM/Gibson/Munger/Irell etc, but any info is appreciated.

PwnLaw

Re: Los Angeles BigLaw Culture (Compared to NYC & SF)

Postby PwnLaw » Sat May 09, 2015 1:38 am

Downtown LA generally worked 9/9:30 to about 6:30 or 7 on average. West side (entertainment mostly) was more like 10 to 8. SF is more chill than LA.

All of that said, you work when you have work to do. The average time isn't something you should count on. Pretty much all major markets expect you to make life sacrifices for the job. If there is a deadline, hopping out for dinner at home isn't going to be appreciated.

WheninLaw

Postby WheninLaw » Sat May 09, 2015 8:15 pm

bruinfan10 wrote:Interested in anecdotes on the Los Angeles BigLaw vibe--I know it varies firm to firm and practice group to practice group--but my experience with a firm in SF was that people would go home by 6 PM, have dinner with family/S.O., and then log back in again in the evening. My friends in NYC Biglaw say they stay at the office later and there's more of an all-in kind of vibe than in California. Anyone know where Los Angeles might fall on that spectrum? Especially interested to hear about firms like Latham/OMM/Gibson/Munger/Irell etc, but any info is appreciated.

I can speak to Munger and Irell. At both, the offices are a ghost town by 6-7pm, and people continue to work from home.

Otherwise, PwnLaw is right on.

juzam_djinn

Postby juzam_djinn » Sat May 09, 2015 9:46 pm

WheninLaw wrote:
bruinfan10 wrote:Interested in anecdotes on the Los Angeles BigLaw vibe--I know it varies firm to firm and practice group to practice group--but my experience with a firm in SF was that people would go home by 6 PM, have dinner with family/S.O., and then log back in again in the evening. My friends in NYC Biglaw say they stay at the office later and there's more of an all-in kind of vibe than in California. Anyone know where Los Angeles might fall on that spectrum? Especially interested to hear about firms like Latham/OMM/Gibson/Munger/Irell etc, but any info is appreciated.

I can speak to Munger and Irell. At both, the offices are a ghost town by 6-7pm, and people continue to work from home.

Otherwise, PwnLaw is right on.

all true for gdc/latham/omm as well

bruinfan10

Postby bruinfan10 » Mon May 11, 2015 10:58 am

Thanks so much everyone!

Also pwn, I'm not a law student, and I have some experience with biglaw. I understand fire drills and filing days--my original question was more geared toward facetime/working remotely during non-business hours.

sawla

Postby sawla » Thu May 21, 2015 1:53 am

Anyone know if the 9-6 holds true with respect to finance in la generally particularly at ph, milbank or mofo. any insight or advice on any of three would be great.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu May 21, 2015 1:59 am

I can speak for Milbank, but the answer is generally yes. Obviously there are exceptions (i.e., closings, when shit hits the fan, etc.), but generally the PF group is in the office from 9/9:30-6/6:30. If you have down time, no one checks up on you and you can dip early/come in later. Sometimes I go shopping in the middle of the day when I have nothing to do.

But be aware, leaving at 6:00 doesn't mean you're always done at 6:00. Things come up and sometimes I log in from home and work for an hour or two remotely.

sawla

Postby sawla » Thu May 21, 2015 2:04 am

i take it you work in the pf group at milbank- do you like it? how does it compare to your experience elsewhere?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu May 21, 2015 3:32 am

Return to “Legal Employment”