Firm Bio

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Yukos

Firm Bio

Postby Yukos » Fri May 08, 2015 1:19 am

Before someone complains, I realize this is not something worth worrying about as a 2L. I'm just bored and curious.

Anyway, I'm wondering what the process for firm bios is. Do you write itself, or does HR do it? Are there rules about what can go in and what can't (CALI prizes? Outside interests/hobbies?)? Is there a template, or do you just freeform it? I guess this may vary from firm to firm, which is something else I'd be curious about.

rpupkin

Re: Firm Bio

Postby rpupkin » Fri May 08, 2015 1:31 am

Yukos wrote:Before someone complains, I realize this is not something worth worrying about as a 2L. I'm just bored and curious.

Anyway, I'm wondering what the process for firm bios is. Do you write itself, or does HR do it? Are there rules about what can go in and what can't (CALI prizes? Outside interests/hobbies?)? Is there a template, or do you just freeform it? I guess this may vary from firm to firm, which is something else I'd be curious about.

It varies widely from firm to firm. Some firms have very specific ideas about how your bio should be structured and what must (and must not) be included. Those firms basically write the bio for you based on the information you provide.

Other firms will essentially allow you to write the bio yourself, and you can highlight whatever you like (within professional reason).

Other firms are somewhere in between, giving you some degree of control over the contents of your bio while also imposing uniform guidelines.

JenDarby

Postby JenDarby » Fri May 08, 2015 1:48 pm

rpupkin wrote:
Yukos wrote:Before someone complains, I realize this is not something worth worrying about as a 2L. I'm just bored and curious.

It varies widely from firm to firm. Some firms have very specific ideas about how your bio should be structured and what must (and must not) be included. Those firms basically write the bio for you based on the information you provide.

Other firms will essentially allow you to write the bio yourself, and you can highlight whatever you like (within professional reason).

Other firms are somewhere in between, giving you some degree of control over the contents of your bio while also imposing uniform guidelines.

This is all true.

In any case, the safest move if you have any control is to mimic your seniors' bios.

LeDique

Postby LeDique » Fri May 08, 2015 2:00 pm

I wrote my own, but I treated another associates as fill-in the blanks (i.e., I replaced her internship with mine)

Return to “Legal Employment”