JD/MBA Signing Bonus

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
anonymos

JD/MBA Signing Bonus

Postby anonymos » Wed May 06, 2015 9:41 pm

Inaugural post. JD/MBA here. Looking for anecdotal information from other JD/MBAs out there - or current BigLaw associates who are "in the know."

How successful were you in negotiating your MBA signing bonus and at what point did you do so? I have come to understand that 2nd-year class status is the common move by a slight majority of firms within the V50. However, when it comes to signing bonuses, I've heard of one fellow JD/MBA who received $10k and another who received $50k.

Is this information stored anywhere online? I'm grateful for any insight, thanks in advance.

Anonymous User

Re: JD/MBA Signing Bonus

Postby Anonymous User » Wed May 06, 2015 11:12 pm

what firms were these bonuses at?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu May 07, 2015 11:11 am

$15k + one class year's advanced standing (offered at a NY based V10)

When I went through recruiting most of the V10 were offering a year's advanced standing. Latham was the only firm that I had an offer from in the V10 that wouldn't give advanced standing and wouldn't guarantee even a signing bonus (they had a discretionary $10 or 15k bonus that was up to some committee about who received and who didn't). Very few firms who offered advanced standing mentioned a signing bonus during SA recruiting.

I wound up going to a different firm than the one that offered me the above, but I got my current firm to match my other offer.

anonymos

Postby anonymos » Thu May 07, 2015 12:25 pm

Thanks a lot for the anecdote. Sounds like something I'll likely address after my SA.
Do you find $15k to be somewhat the standard? Is there even a standard?

If its at all relevant, I am referring to firms mainly within V30.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu May 07, 2015 12:50 pm

anonymos wrote:Thanks a lot for the anecdote. Sounds like something I'll likely address after my SA.
Do you find $15k to be somewhat the standard? Is there even a standard?

If its at all relevant, I am referring to firms mainly within V30.

There is no "standard" between firms, but most firms have an HR policy. If you want to negotiate for more than whatever is "standard" you usually need to get it approved by not only your recruiting contact, but also a compensation committee or something similar. It makes it a little harder, but I've known people who have negotiated individualized compensation packages.

"V30" isn't really very helpful. Most of the firms that offer bonuses seemed to be transactionally focused (although the bonus often isn't restricted to just transactional practices). The further you get from top tier/NY-centric firms the harder it will probably be to negotiate because their peers will likely not all pay JD/MBAs extra.

Return to “Legal Employment”