First-year associate mens' clothing questions Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Glasseyes

Silver

Re: First-year associate mens' clothing questions

Post by Glasseyes » Sat Aug 08, 2015 3:58 pm

parkslope wrote:
Glasseyes wrote:
VulcanVulcanVulcan wrote:Reviving a dead thread but I think it's useful.

Can some current associates comment on good briefcases to use for work? What type of bag to associates tend to bring?
Seems like a worthy starting point, and make sure to read the comments below for way more suggestions and arguments against some of the bags:

https://lawyerist.com/60015/your-briefc ... -terrible/
That is interesting. I keep on getting told to buy one of those really formal bags that cost four figures:

http://www.ferragamo.com/shop/en/usa/me ... 1233584915

Do people not actually use those? Are those for partners?

I'm curious if any current associates can weigh in with what they use and see around (NY/DC).
Not an associate yet, just someone with a lot of professional experience and friends at large firms: if i saw a junior associate carrying that Ferragamo bag I would assume he was either an asshole or a weird try-hard. It's like wearing a Rolex to a job interview; you can do it, sure, but you're making a statement by doing it.

Edited to add: which isn't to say an expensive bag is inherently bad, if that's your, uh, bag. But buying expensive branded merchandise (like that Ferragamo) usually means you're just trying to advertise how much you spent.
Last edited by Glasseyes on Sat Aug 08, 2015 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

skers

Platinum

Post by skers » Sat Aug 08, 2015 4:02 pm

I have a Colson Keane, which I like a lot and is super badass. Have a billy kirk too for when I need to carry more stuff and I dig it quite a bit too.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 09, 2015 3:52 am

I work in a leading corporate SF practice and I literally wear a tshirt and jeans every single day. fuck working in NYC biglaw.

Jchance

Silver

Post by Jchance » Sun Aug 09, 2015 3:46 pm

Glasseyes wrote: Not an associate yet, just someone with a lot of professional experience and friends at large firms: if i saw a junior associate carrying that Ferragamo bag I would assume he was either an asshole or a weird try-hard. It's like wearing a Rolex to a job interview; you can do it, sure, but you're making a statement by doing it.

Edited to add: which isn't to say an expensive bag is inherently bad, if that's your, uh, bag. But buying expensive branded merchandise (like that Ferragamo) usually means you're just trying to advertise how much you spent.
They do say that if you are better dressed than your boss, you are becoming an eyesore in his/her eyes.

On a serious note, don't use a backpack but don't spend 4-figure on a bag, get like a Filson briefcase or something.

parkslope

Bronze

Post by parkslope » Tue Aug 11, 2015 10:47 am

What's the word on wearing non-wool suits? Is that acceptable during the summer?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

blsingindisguise

Silver

Post by blsingindisguise » Tue Aug 11, 2015 4:35 pm

parkslope wrote:
Glasseyes wrote:
VulcanVulcanVulcan wrote:Reviving a dead thread but I think it's useful.

Can some current associates comment on good briefcases to use for work? What type of bag to associates tend to bring?
Seems like a worthy starting point, and make sure to read the comments below for way more suggestions and arguments against some of the bags:

https://lawyerist.com/60015/your-briefc ... -terrible/
That is interesting. I keep on getting told to buy one of those really formal bags that cost four figures:

http://www.ferragamo.com/shop/en/usa/me ... 1233584915

Do people not actually use those? Are those for partners?

I'm curious if any current associates can weigh in with what they use and see around (NY/DC).
This sounds like a bunch of bullshit to me. I'm not in biglaw but I litigate against biglaw on most of my cases, and I'm at depos and court pretty regularly, and I see so many biglaw lawyers, including a lot of partners, with totally boring, plain briefcases, nylon laptop bags, etc. I agree the backpack thing is a little too childish, but other than that I say just don't get something that calls too much attention to itself. I don't think the overly fussy, hyper-styled look is really helpful for litigators anyway.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”