First-year associate mens' clothing questions Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

First-year associate mens' clothing questions

Post by Anonymous User » Wed May 06, 2015 5:03 pm

I have been reading the clothing thread about OCI and summer associate attire, but I haven't found it particularly helpful for when you're an actual associate. (I'm starting at a V10 in the fall.)

Are the rules different for when you're an actual associate? My assumption is that one can afford to be slightly less conservative and regimented because you're not worried about getting no-offered.

For example:

(1) Can I wear a non-wool suit as an associate when not in court? It's going to be hot and I would like to wear linen/cotton/etc.

(2) Can I wear leather penny loafers to the office?

(3) I was thinking about getting a proper briefcase and was interested if someone had some suggestions.

Frayed Knot

New

Re: First-year associate mens' clothing questions

Post by Frayed Knot » Wed May 06, 2015 8:45 pm

To piggyback on this: About how many suits do you need in rotation at a business attire (not biz-casual) firm?

ncc5

New

Post by ncc5 » Wed May 06, 2015 8:50 pm

I wore business formal everyday for my judicial internship last summer and got by pretty well with two suits. I steamed them every weekend, never had a problem. I don't think any more than three would be remotely necessary. The important thing is to have a solid rotation of shirts/ties to break it up.

MyNameIsFlynn!

Silver

Post by MyNameIsFlynn! » Wed May 06, 2015 10:12 pm

(Posts new thread seeking advice from Biglaw associates b/c summer associate thread unhelpful)

(Gets advice from 1L judicial intern)
ncc5 wrote:I wore business formal everyday for my judicial internship last summer and got by pretty well with two suits. I steamed them every weekend, never had a problem. I don't think any more than three would be remotely necessary. The important thing is to have a solid rotation of shirts/ties to break it up.
Keep up the good work TLS

TheDogWhisperer

New

Post by TheDogWhisperer » Wed May 06, 2015 10:20 pm

i mean, since its a v10 I guess you should get really nice suits %100 wool no loafers please. its not a v50 or even a v20

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

WheatThins

Bronze

Post by WheatThins » Wed May 06, 2015 10:51 pm

Don't look like a damn slob. Dress professionally and you'll be fine. Keep you shoes clean and shined and make sure your suit is made out of some type of cloth.

Butter

New

Post by Butter » Wed May 06, 2015 10:53 pm

I would also speculate that penny loafers are out for a V10.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed May 06, 2015 10:57 pm

Actual associates want to chime in about how many suits generally rotate through and whether or not they own 'summer suits' of one kind or another?

Also - silly-ish question, but how many pairs of shoes? I had one black, one brown for the summer, but was worried about destroying them with such constant use (in particular because I walked about a mile each way to work).

DJ JD

Bronze

Post by DJ JD » Wed May 06, 2015 11:05 pm

TheDogWhisperer wrote:i mean, since its a v10 I guess you should get really nice suits %100 wool no loafers please. its not a v50 or even a v20
Is this forreal. I mean, maybe the priorities are different here in the South thanks to weather, but are people really gonna walk up you, pinch your suit, and say "no wool, no shoes, no service?"

I'd like to think this is a troll, but I agree that loafers are atrocious for work, or anywhere else for that matter, so...

(sorry to not really be able to contribute to the thread)

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed May 06, 2015 11:15 pm

Was at V5. Wore suits about 15 times in 2+ years. Owned 3 suits when i started but only 1 fit by the end =/

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu May 07, 2015 2:01 am

Anonymous User wrote:Was at V5. Wore suits about 15 times in 2+ years. Owned 3 suits when i started but only 1 fit by the end =/
Skadbro?

smallfirmassociate

Bronze

Post by smallfirmassociate » Thu May 07, 2015 11:54 am

Loafers are awesome. Laces are the devil's handiwork.

baal hadad

Gold

Post by baal hadad » Thu May 07, 2015 11:58 am

If v10 you need to be wearing Only Allen Edmonds lace ups

V10 you can probs get away w wing tips tho

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Desert Fox

Diamond

Post by Desert Fox » Thu May 07, 2015 12:00 pm

MyNameIsFlynn! wrote:(Posts new thread seeking advice from Biglaw associates b/c summer associate thread unhelpful)

(Gets advice from 1L judicial intern)
ncc5 wrote:I wore business formal everyday for my judicial internship last summer and got by pretty well with two suits. I steamed them every weekend, never had a problem. I don't think any more than three would be remotely necessary. The important thing is to have a solid rotation of shirts/ties to break it up.
Keep up the good work TLS
1) Go eat breakfast waltjr

2) Suits don't magically lose their luster while walking into biglaw.
Last edited by Desert Fox on Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Desert Fox

Diamond

Post by Desert Fox » Thu May 07, 2015 12:01 pm

V38- I wear khakis and polo shirts even in winter.

Nebby

Diamond

Post by Nebby » Thu May 07, 2015 12:02 pm

The shear level of infancy that grown adults who are about to begin a professional career show on this site is astounding. Next you'll be asking, "I am about to go on a yacht event--are dress shoes and shorts acceptable?"

smallfirmassociate

Bronze

Post by smallfirmassociate » Thu May 07, 2015 12:59 pm

I'm about to get a handjob in Vietnam -- are cargo shorts acceptable?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu May 07, 2015 1:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Was at V5. Wore suits about 15 times in 2+ years. Owned 3 suits when i started but only 1 fit by the end =/
Skadbro?
nope. dee pee dub bro

blsingindisguise

Silver

Post by blsingindisguise » Thu May 07, 2015 1:33 pm

Minimum 3 all-weather wool in solid or light stripe, one chalk stripe, two flannel, one tweed, two linen, one "fun" plaid, one heavy tweed, and one chambray.

bearsfan23

Gold

Post by bearsfan23 » Thu May 07, 2015 1:35 pm

blsingindisguise wrote:Minimum 3 all-weather wool in solid or light stripe, one chalk stripe, two flannel, one tweed, two linen, one "fun" plaid, one heavy tweed, and one chambray.
Need more tweed/flannel, especially at a v10

Desert Fox

Diamond

Post by Desert Fox » Thu May 07, 2015 1:36 pm

1 Seersucker for DC

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

masque du pantsu

Bronze

Post by masque du pantsu » Fri May 08, 2015 3:38 pm

so this is what i did and i think it worked reasonably well. I'm at a biz casual NY firm and yes, you can get by on two suits but you will probably want to have more. You'll want them for meetings, some departments can be more formal than others, etc.

So in your first year, buy one nice suit that actually looks good, and then load up on the Jos. A Bank / Mens Wearhouse cheapies; wait for one of those buy 1 get 5 kind of deals. Then, as you start to have more disposable income you can gradually replace the cheap suits with nice ones, one by one.

Hikikomorist

Platinum

Post by Hikikomorist » Fri May 08, 2015 3:43 pm

masque du pantsu wrote:so this is what i did and i think it worked reasonably well. I'm at a biz casual NY firm and yes, you can get by on two suits but you will probably want to have more. You'll want them for meetings, some departments can be more formal than others, etc.

So in your first year, buy one nice suit that actually looks good, and then load up on the Jos. A Bank / Mens Wearhouse cheapies; wait for one of those buy 1 get 5 kind of deals. Then, as you start to have more disposable income you can gradually replace the cheap suits with nice ones, one by one.
Any specific advice on this?

legends159

Silver

Post by legends159 » Fri May 08, 2015 4:27 pm

Hikkomorist wrote:
masque du pantsu wrote:so this is what i did and i think it worked reasonably well. I'm at a biz casual NY firm and yes, you can get by on two suits but you will probably want to have more. You'll want them for meetings, some departments can be more formal than others, etc.

Any specific advice on this?
Buy something off the rack that's 100% wool, probably super 100 or higher and then get it tailored. Do a conservative color since it's supposed to be all purpose - charcoal grey or navy should be fine. I wouldn't do black - some people think those are only for formal or funeral. Just make sure the shoulders fit and unless you are super jacked or super fat a 6-7 inch drop in the waist will be fine and you can tailor it up or down 1-2 inches. Shouldn't be more than $500 all in if you're doing it right.

Don't get a bunch of suits until you're sure you need to wear them often. Few firms require suits and it's not really a good use of your disposable income (unless wearing nice suits is your thing, in which case go ahead and splurge).

smallfirmassociate

Bronze

Post by smallfirmassociate » Fri May 08, 2015 4:47 pm

Dillards' store brand (which is labeled as a Ralph Lauren line) is a good option for a starting "good" suit if they still have them. Sometimes they do 2-for-1's I think; and I want to say they run $500 or so each including tailoring.

So get 1 - 2 of those and then the 3-for-1 Jos A. Bank deal, which will get you three mediocre workhorse suits tailored and ready to go for $1000 or so if you buy their higher-end ones (which still aren't that good, but are serviceable).

Do it right and you'll have 4-5 suits for $1500 and that will get you by for a long time.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”