Setup for ALJ exit from BigLaw

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Coprolalia

Setup for ALJ exit from BigLaw

Postby Coprolalia » Wed May 06, 2015 9:21 am

I've read about requirements for federal ALJs positions (7 years experience as a licensed attorney preparing for, participating in, and/or reviewing formal hearings or trials involving litigation and/or administrative law at the Federal, State or local level. ) and that it's best to start at SSA and try to move to another agency from there. I haven't found much info about the career path to get you there though.

Assuming a start at BigLaw, what should a person do to set themselves up to be an excellent applicant for an ALJ slot?

Just work in litigation? White collar criminal defense?

What are good options for intermediate positions? AUSA?

I'd be interested to hear from people that know someone who has gone this route, etc. Thanks.

nothingtosee

Re: Setup for ALJ exit from BigLaw

Postby nothingtosee » Wed May 06, 2015 9:25 am

Coprolalia

Re: Setup for ALJ exit from BigLaw

Postby Coprolalia » Wed May 06, 2015 9:31 am

nothingtosee wrote:http://top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=247356

Yeah, I read that. It's mostly about state ALJ jobs, not federal, and it doesn't talk about the career path from big law.

That's what I'm interested in and I don't believe there's material about it.

Return to “Legal Employment”