Does Wachtell hire 3Ls? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Does Wachtell hire 3Ls?

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Oct 01, 2016 10:10 am

For what it is worth Wachtell was one of only 2 firms that in their ding (from MM) included a few lines encouraging me to apply 3L. I doubt it means anything but they most not unilaterally ignore 3Ls.

Lavitz

Gold

Post by Lavitz » Sat Oct 01, 2016 10:28 am

hangold wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Anyone know anything about lateralling from CSM/S&C to WLRK after a few years? Does that happen often or is it an exception?
I'm curious about this as well. I would assume that this would be more of a rarity.
I know someone who lateraled to WLRK from Cleary after only 9 months, so there's that.

hangold

New

Post by hangold » Sat Oct 01, 2016 11:44 am

Last edited by hangold on Tue Dec 13, 2016 8:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lavitz

Gold

Post by Lavitz » Sat Oct 01, 2016 1:18 pm

hangold wrote:
Lavitz wrote: I know someone who lateraled to WLRK from Cleary after only 9 months, so there's that.
Was this for the corporate group?
No, it was one of the other non-litigation ones.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Oct 01, 2016 1:43 pm

I know of two separate people who have lateraled to WLRK within their first year of biglaw practice. So even if they "don't" take 3Ls (which I doubt is the case), they definitely take junior associates who haven't completed a year of practice. When a firm's busy, they're busy.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Oct 02, 2016 2:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone know anything about lateralling from CSM/S&C to WLRK after a few years? Does that happen often or is it an exception?
Wachtell takes lateral from CSM/S&C. I heard that lateraling to Wachtell is pretty rare/difficult (even from CSM/S&C), though not as rare/difficult as top CSM/S&C associates in M&A, etc. lateraling into elite boutiques (PJT/Blackstone, Evercore, Lazard)/top bulge bracket banks (Goldman, Morgan Stanley) for investment banking.

lawlorbust

Bronze

Post by lawlorbust » Sun Oct 02, 2016 2:41 pm

I feel really sad for you if this is a legit question. No, you'll probably not ever end up working at WLRK and will have to settle for a second-tier law firm. You failed at life. Sorry.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Oct 02, 2016 8:29 pm

lawlorbust wrote:
I feel really sad for you if this is a legit question. No, you'll probably not ever end up working at WLRK and will have to settle for a second-tier law firm. You failed at life. Sorry.
Eh. It's a fair question, especially if you're thinking about ways to accelerate your loan payments. WLRK isn't only about the prestige and every extra dollar counts at this early stage in our career.

Anyways, I'm a CSM associate and I know of people who moved to WLRK. You need to be — to borrow another firm's language — "above class" in order to do so but I agree with the other poster that it's easier than lateraling out to a business role (where you have to be close to a super star).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Oct 02, 2016 10:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Wachtell takes lateral from CSM/S&C. I heard that lateraling to Wachtell is pretty rare/difficult (even from CSM/S&C), though not as rare/difficult as top CSM/S&C associates in M&A, etc. lateraling into elite boutiques (PJT/Blackstone, Evercore, Lazard)/top bulge bracket banks (Goldman, Morgan Stanley) for investment banking.
We had a Cleary sighting above. Also, we had an associate in my first year class at Skadden lateral to Wachtell. Also for a non-litigation group other than corporate.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Oct 03, 2016 10:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
lawlorbust wrote:
Eh. It's a fair question, especially if you're thinking about ways to accelerate your loan payments. WLRK isn't only about the prestige and every extra dollar counts at this early stage in our career.

Anyways, I'm a CSM associate and I know of people who moved to WLRK. You need to be — to borrow another firm's language — "above class" in order to do so but I agree with the other poster that it's easier than lateraling out to a business role (where you have to be close to a super star).
Interesting. What does "above class" mean, especially for first/second years?

Definitely have seen star Wachtell third/fourth years with prior finance experience switching to investment banking at Evercore/Centerview and other elite boutiques (which seem to pay a lot more and are more selective than even GS/MS/JPM).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 04, 2016 1:31 am

the convo above has pertained only to corporate. what about switching in litigation from keker/munger/williams & connolly to wachtell as a young associate? or coming to WLRK post-clerkship after having summered at one of those firms? geography is the primary incentive (potentially relocating to new york).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 06, 2016 11:00 am

I know someone who lateraled as a 4th year to WLRK lit from a non CSM/S&C firm.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 06, 2016 11:52 am

I've also applied and been no interview dinged as 1L, 2L and 3L. They definitely interview and hire 3Ls. It will be tough to get but so are some other firms.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 06, 2016 12:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:the convo above has pertained only to corporate. what about switching in litigation from keker/munger/williams & connolly to wachtell as a young associate? or coming to WLRK post-clerkship after having summered at one of those firms? geography is the primary incentive (potentially relocating to new york).
WLRK does not hire laterals as a general matter. In recent years, they've hired a few laterals each year for litigation & Corp, but we're talking 2-3 people. This is not something to get your hopes up over. They've taken a lateral from an associate located in DC before, but I think most of their lateral hires are from NY firms -- which makes sense because NY associates are more likely to be licensed to practice in NY already.

If you want to move to NY, there are other really great firms that take laterals regularly.

unlicensedpotato

Silver

Post by unlicensedpotato » Thu Oct 06, 2016 1:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:the convo above has pertained only to corporate. what about switching in litigation from keker/munger/williams & connolly to wachtell as a young associate? or coming to WLRK post-clerkship after having summered at one of those firms? geography is the primary incentive (potentially relocating to new york).
WLRK does not hire laterals as a general matter. In recent years, they've hired a few laterals each year for litigation & Corp, but we're talking 2-3 people. This is not something to get your hopes up over. They've taken a lateral from an associate located in DC before, but I think most of their lateral hires are from NY firms -- which makes sense because NY associates are more likely to be licensed to practice in NY already.

If you want to move to NY, there are other really great firms that take laterals regularly.
This is exactly what people were just teasing Cravath for. Excluding counsel, WLRK only has like 200 attorneys. Even Cravath is twice as big. 2-3 laterals per year seems about what you would expect given the size and nature of the firm, not some crazy low number. Obviously people shouldn't get their hopes up about lateraling to WLRK, but it isn't because they don't generally hire laterals. They, in fact, do generally hire laterals and do so every year.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 06, 2016 2:37 pm

unlicensedpotato wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

This is exactly what people were just teasing Cravath for. Excluding counsel, WLRK only has like 200 attorneys. Even Cravath is twice as big. 2-3 laterals per year seems about what you would expect given the size and nature of the firm, not some crazy low number. Obviously people shouldn't get their hopes up about lateraling to WLRK, but it isn't because they don't generally hire laterals. They, in fact, do generally hire laterals and do so every year.
Link to where WLRK hired laterals every year? Seems to me lateral hiring for WLRK is a new phenomenon that started in recent years. On second thought, don't bother. It isn't worth arguing. The point is very few people lateral to WLRK.

unlicensedpotato

Silver

Post by unlicensedpotato » Thu Oct 06, 2016 3:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
unlicensedpotato wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Link to where WLRK hired laterals every year? Seems to me lateral hiring for WLRK is a new phenomenon that started in recent years. On second thought, don't bother. It isn't worth arguing. The point is very few people lateral to WLRK.
That's a fair point and I don't dispute that it's a newer phenomenon. I appreciate the color/details on who a typical lateral hire is likely to be.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Oct 10, 2016 5:13 pm

unlicensedpotato wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
unlicensedpotato wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

That's a fair point and I don't dispute that it's a newer phenomenon. I appreciate the color/details on who a typical lateral hire is likely to be.
Probably have to be Wachtell material, plus have good professional recommendations, plus have demonstrated ability to do whatever is driving the need for the lateral.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Oct 10, 2016 5:13 pm

unlicensedpotato wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
unlicensedpotato wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Probably have to be Wachtell material, plus have good professional recommendations, plus have demonstrated ability to do whatever is driving the need for the lateral.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 11, 2016 12:23 am

Anonymous User wrote:I know someone who lateraled as a 4th year to WLRK lit from a non CSM/S&C firm.
This definitely happens sometimes in corporate. But theres no difference between csm, s&c, dpw, and the handful of other elite new york firms like them. What seems the more likely proposition and the question raised above is a lateral move in terms of credentials from a top lit firm outside of new york. Wachtell offers superior leverage (~2 versus ~4), which is important for a younger associate, compared to other V10s.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 11, 2016 7:16 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I know someone who lateraled as a 4th year to WLRK lit from a non CSM/S&C firm.
This definitely happens sometimes in corporate. But theres no difference between csm, s&c, dpw, and the handful of other elite new york firms like them. What seems the more likely proposition and the question raised above is a lateral move in terms of credentials from a top lit firm outside of new york. Wachtell offers superior leverage (~2 versus ~4), which is important for a younger associate, compared to other V10s.
The person i'm thinking of was at a firm in DC and was in litigation.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”