OFFERS / INTERVIEWS...and conflicts

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
ClubberLang

Re: OFFERS / INTERVIEWS...and conflicts

Postby ClubberLang » Mon May 04, 2015 9:05 pm

What is your secret? How did you pull all of these amazing offers!?!

ballcaps

Postby ballcaps » Mon May 04, 2015 9:14 pm

Legacy Rabbit wrote:Situation:

1. I have an offer that starts next Monday
- I love the team, I was hired during the initial interview. Background and offer letter was emailed to me within hours. However, salary is still under negotiation. The hiring manager does not make salary decisions. HR and I are still negotiating. However, this institution is the leading med institution in my area.

2. I received another offer today, this morning. Pay is close to 100k a year with a leading financial institution.

3. I have a (five hour) interview this Wednesday with another leading financial institution. Salary has yet to be negotiated but the company is not even two miles away from where I live. It is a F100.

4. A NY based company is flying me to do the meet and greet this Wednesday. I have had three video-conference / phone interviews. Now they are ready to meet me. The recruiter told me there is a 90 percent chance I will be hired. Pay is $115K for NY (they will not budge but will give me an upfront bonus to count as relocation)

5. I am still interviewing with a top consulting agency. The recruiter told me that the hiring manager liked me and said I will be ready for the position. The hiring manager wants me to meet the client (on site). This company is a preeminent consulting/tech company (current clients include 89 of the Fortune Global 100 and more than three-quarters of the Fortune Global 500). Pay will be 100k.

All of these interviews / offers are in my areas, except #4.

#3 and #4 there is a conflict with time. I have reached out to #4 to move the flight to later in the evening. Still awaiting feedback.

Please excuse grammar.

hahahahaha the best part is that he doesn't even ask a question!

Legacy Rabbit

Postby Legacy Rabbit » Mon May 04, 2015 9:51 pm

masque du pantsu wrote:Going out on a limb to assume OP actually wants advice here, answer is obviously this:

bjsesq wrote:Tell them you're withdrawing, thank them for their time, and tell them how great your experience with them was. What's the issue? This is generic shit.

There's really nothing else you can do besides be respectful and professional; some will take it poorly (prob for reasons personal to them), but the rest will wish you well or even tell you to keep in touch if plans change.

You can't keep every door open forever. Some will close, and you have to accept that or be paralyzed by indecision forever.

I did this. I have given up on the Wednesday interview. Even though the company is close to me, the pay is low in comparison to the other offers. I received two offers today, each close to $100k. The New York interview was pushed to next week. You are correct You can't keep every door open forever. Some will close, and you have to accept that or be paralyzed by indecision forever I have moved forward to focus on just the three offers and the New York interview. I was also interviewed last Friday (for an hour and a half) for another financial services company in the northeast (via video conference); however, I was advised that this process could still stay a few weeks.

Legacy Rabbit

Postby Legacy Rabbit » Mon May 04, 2015 10:04 pm

ClubberLang wrote:What is your secret? How did you pull all of these amazing offers!?!

Mass mailing and reaching out to recruiters / headhunters since October. I kept an excel sheet of everyone I met / contacted via email / phone. I used my regional connections as much as I could. Every job description I studied exactly what they were looking for and I also learned about the person who was interviewing me. Once I finished answering their questions, I then in turn "interviewed them". I asked question in regards to their career choices and their choice "to work for this company". I asked how I can serve their group. What are the limitations they are experiencing with their current projects. I also did researched project management and advised how I can better represent their group. Lastly, I really stressed my connection to where I live. However, the two northeast companies, I researched interview skills specific to the job description, so I would know the type of person the group needs.

Every company I interviewed for, I researched the company as if they were "a person" I want to know.

Keep in mind there is much more to hiring then "your resume / experience". There are issues beyond your control, such as budgeting and the cost center that is billed your time. August should be another big hiring month, use the summer to reach out and prepare.

I hope this helps. If you have a question please PM me.

mr.hands

Postby mr.hands » Mon May 04, 2015 10:24 pm

Legacy Rabbit wrote:
ClubberLang wrote:What is your secret? How did you pull all of these amazing offers!?!

Mass mailing and reaching out to recruiters / headhunters since October. I kept an excel sheet of everyone I met / contacted via email / phone. I used my regional connections as much as I could. Every job description I studied exactly what they were looking for and I also learned about the person who was interviewing me. Once I finished answering their questions, I then in turn "interviewed them". I asked question in regards to their career choices and their choice "to work for this company". I asked how I can serve their group. What are the limitations they are experiencing with their current projects. I also did researched project management and advised how I can better represent their group. Lastly, I really stressed my connection to where I live. However, the two northeast companies, I researched interview skills specific to the job description, so I would know the type of person the group needs.

Every company I interviewed for, I researched the company as if they were "a person" I want to know.

Keep in mind there is much more to hiring then "your resume / experience". There are issues beyond your control, such as budgeting and the cost center that is billed your time. August should be another big hiring month, use the summer to reach out and prepare.

I hope this helps. If you have a question please PM me.

Judging by the emphatic punctuation, I'd venture to guess that he was being sarcastic

Return to “Legal Employment”