1L summer gig - kinda like paralegal

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

1L summer gig - kinda like paralegal

Postby Anonymous User » Mon May 04, 2015 4:00 pm

I have an interview for a contract paralegal-type position for the summer. I am helping the one GC, doing filing and organizing. They said I would be doing a filing exercise as part of the interview - what could this be? I have never worked as a legal assistant/paralegal before law school so I have no idea how law firms/legal departments are organized. Could anyone shed some light for me? I am thinking of something like this:

Important vs. urgent
Legal area --> legal issue --> files by plaintiff/defendant

Do I need to have some elaborate, color-coded system?

A. Nony Mouse

Re: 1L summer gig - kinda like paralegal

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Mon May 04, 2015 4:18 pm

It is much more likely that they will test you to see whether you can file stuff in a system they've already got in place, which they will explain to you.

Why are you planning to work as a paralegal over your 1L summer?

Anonymous User

Re: 1L summer gig - kinda like paralegal

Postby Anonymous User » Mon May 04, 2015 4:25 pm

There's a bit of legal research on the side, so it's not completely useless. But, they said I would be paving the path since the last person did a horrible job. So I feel like I need something for myself here.

Return to “Legal Employment”