Veterans' Board of Appeals Forum

(Issue areas, International Law, International Public Interest, Public Service in the private sector, Non-Profits, Public Interest Organizations, Government/ government agencies, employment settings)
Anonymous User

Re: Veterans' Board of Appeals

Post by Anonymous User » Wed May 17, 2017 3:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I have an interview coming up. Total long shot application, this would be a dream job. I'd kill to work in the federal government. Is the interview truly just a getting to know you/resume scanner? Does being military go a long way in these interviews? I'm a reserve officer.
It is a getting to know you sort of interview. My interview panel consisted of three judges, most of the questions were about writing ability and experience (how do you make sure you're giving the judge a final product, what's your writing process like, etc.). They are really looking for people who are dedicated to helping Veterans, so emphasize that. Be prepared to talk about time management - you go on production at six months and they'd prefer you to be hitting production before that. Good luck!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu May 18, 2017 9:38 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I have an interview coming up. Total long shot application, this would be a dream job. I'd kill to work in the federal government. Is the interview truly just a getting to know you/resume scanner? Does being military go a long way in these interviews? I'm a reserve officer.
It is a getting to know you sort of interview. My interview panel consisted of three judges, most of the questions were about writing ability and experience (how do you make sure you're giving the judge a final product, what's your writing process like, etc.). They are really looking for people who are dedicated to helping Veterans, so emphasize that. Be prepared to talk about time management - you go on production at six months and they'd prefer you to be hitting production before that. Good luck!
Original poster here again. Two questions for you: (1) "Hitting production"? And (2) what's the typical timing on offers/start dates for this? I'm a current law clerk with my term ending at the end of the summer, would they work with me to get a start date past my clerkship?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu May 18, 2017 11:53 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Original poster here again. Two questions for you: (1) "Hitting production"? And (2) what's the typical timing on offers/start dates for this? I'm a current law clerk with my term ending at the end of the summer, would they work with me to get a start date past my clerkship?
Different anon but will chime in. Production refers to a yearly case requirement. After 6 months of training/mentorship, you're expected to complete a certain number of cases per year, which averages to 2 to 3 per week (complete more, with high ratings for decision quality, and you're eligible for a small yearly bonus). I'd guess an offer could come anywhere from a few days to a month after the interview. They have and will continue to have a need for a LOT of attorneys, so I think the chances of them working with you on start date are very good.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri May 19, 2017 5:28 pm

Word is that the Board plans to hire 160 attorneys this year alone. With the new administration, BVA is probably your best shot in getting your foot in the federal government.

So, apply!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri May 19, 2017 5:59 pm

Current VA employee, we're ramping up to hire ~500 Rating Veterans Service Representatives (GS-9 target 12) and another ~600 Veterans Service Representatives (GS-7 target 10). Not attorney roles, but a great opportunity to get your foot in the door to compete for the Board jobs later, and a number of JDs do it. Almost all 57 Regional Offices will be hiring too.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Dec 05, 2019 1:28 pm

Hey all, know this is a very late bump BUT I just applied for this job. Anyone know the turn around time on interview offers? Thanks y’all!

thriller1122

Bronze

Post by thriller1122 » Thu Dec 05, 2019 2:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Hey all, know this is a very late bump BUT I just applied for this job. Anyone know the turn around time on interview offers? Thanks y’all!
Where di you apply for it?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Dec 12, 2019 8:20 pm

thriller1122 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Hey all, know this is a very late bump BUT I just applied for this job. Anyone know the turn around time on interview offers? Thanks y’all!
Where di you apply for it?
I applied for a position in DC!

jacketyellow

Bronze

Post by jacketyellow » Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:43 am

I heard, this morning, that the Board started to interview candidates last week, and there are 150 positions. I think we just have to wait and see.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Feb 10, 2020 4:23 pm

Has anyone received the writing exercise? Please don't reveal the details, but how should I generally prepare before I send an email to get access to it?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 11, 2020 9:58 am

There really isn’t any way to prepare other than just having the email up waiting for the call with the password, having a blank word document, and making sure your space is free of distractions. The prompt has all the facts and law so there’s nothing to really research or anything. It wasn’t bad, though. Good luck!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 18, 2020 4:52 pm

Does anyone know when we will receive next steps after completing the writing exercise? Thanks!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 19, 2020 7:21 pm

When did you take the writing exam?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 20, 2020 1:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:When did you take the writing exam?
I took it on Tuesday, February 18.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Feb 24, 2020 2:08 pm

I think it took them about a week after I took the writing test to reach out to schedule an interview, but maybe it was around a week and a half? They’re doing rolling interviews so I wouldn’t panic if you don’t hear back right away. The fact that you got an offer to do the writing test is probably a good sign that you’ll get an interview.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Feb 24, 2020 6:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I think it took them about a week after I took the writing test to reach out to schedule an interview, but maybe it was around a week and a half? They’re doing rolling interviews so I wouldn’t panic if you don’t hear back right away. The fact that you got an offer to do the writing test is probably a good sign that you’ll get an interview.
Thanks!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Apr 15, 2020 2:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I think it took them about a week after I took the writing test to reach out to schedule an interview, but maybe it was around a week and a half? They’re doing rolling interviews so I wouldn’t panic if you don’t hear back right away. The fact that you got an offer to do the writing test is probably a good sign that you’ll get an interview.
Thanks!
Any updates?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Apr 16, 2020 12:06 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Thanks!
Any updates?
I received a tentative offer from the Board today. There was about a month wait after interviewing before I heard from the Board (due to COVID-19). I accepted the tentative offer and had to complete forms about employment and finances. I have already been given an offer with another government agency, but I just thought I would go ahead and accept the Board's offer, just in case. You never know what could happen during these times.

AnonLawStudent

New

Post by AnonLawStudent » Thu Apr 16, 2020 10:53 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Thanks!
Any updates?
I received a tentative offer from the Board today. There was about a month wait after interviewing before I heard from the Board (due to COVID-19). I accepted the tentative offer and had to complete forms about employment and finances. I have already been given an offer with another government agency, but I just thought I would go ahead and accept the Board's offer, just in case. You never know what could happen during these times.
Congrats! What is the start date?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Apr 16, 2020 8:26 pm

Is a tentative offer binding? Haven't gotten an interview yet. But am applying to other agencies. If you accept the tentative offer, can you later decline it?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Apr 17, 2020 12:49 am

Anonymous User wrote:Is a tentative offer binding? Haven't gotten an interview yet. But am applying to other agencies. If you accept the tentative offer, can you later decline it?
I accepted the tentative offer and fully intend to decline a potential final offer because I already have a final offer from another preferred agency. However, I accepted the Board's tentative offer because of COVID-19. Who knows how these things will play out? The preferred agency could rescind my final offer, and I would be left with the Board's offer.

And, yes, you can later decline a tentative offer, and the Board can decline to extend you a final offer as well. There is nothing legally binding on either party in the tentative phase.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Apr 17, 2020 12:51 am

AnonLawStudent wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Thanks!
Any updates?

As it is a tentative offer, there is no start date yet. Start dates will be finalized in a final offer after the Board investigates your background.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Apr 17, 2020 3:20 am

Anonymous User wrote:
AnonLawStudent wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Thanks!
Any updates?

As it is a tentative offer, there is no start date yet. Start dates will be finalized in a final offer after the Board investigates your background.
Thanks! I have an interview next week so I’m looking to get an idea on timing.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Apr 17, 2020 5:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
AnonLawStudent wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Thanks!
Any updates?

Thanks! I have an interview next week so I’m looking to get an idea on timing.
Is it a virtual interview or in-person interview? If you get an interview, you are likely to get the job. And, the Board may move quicker now since it knows how to make offers during this crisis. As I stated, I interviewed right before social distancing started, so it took the Board a month to get back to me. You will likely hear in a week or two.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Apr 17, 2020 6:05 pm

Thanks![/quote]

Any updates?[/quote]

I received a tentative offer from the Board today. There was about a month wait after interviewing before I heard from the Board (due to COVID-19). I accepted the tentative offer and had to complete forms about employment and finances. I have already been given an offer with another government agency, but I just thought I would go ahead and accept the Board's offer, just in case. You never know what could happen during these times.[/quote]

Congrats! What is the start date?[/quote]

As it is a tentative offer, there is no start date yet. Start dates will be finalized in a final offer after the Board investigates your background.[/quote]

Thanks! I have an interview next week so I’m looking to get an idea on timing.[/quote]

Is it a virtual interview or in-person interview? If you get an interview, you are likely to get the job. And, the Board may move quicker now since it knows how to make offers during this crisis. As I stated, I interviewed right before social distancing started, so it took the Board a month to get back to me. You will likely hear in a week or two.[/quote]

It’s a phone interview and as far as I know that is the only interview. I was also told that they are moving fast with hiring now. So do you think we could potentially start once offices re-open? June or so? Especially since It doesn’t look like 2020 grads will be taking the bar exam in July.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Public Interest & Government”