BAR Exam self-study Qs

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

BAR Exam self-study Qs

Postby Anonymous User » Sun May 03, 2015 8:14 pm

Hey all,

Trying to figure out what the best way to self-study for the bar exam is, particularly NY. In case the fact that I'm self-studying hasn't already revealed this fact--cost is a significant factor in my decision. Thus, "just call up BARBRI and ask them to send you their books without the course" isn't terribly useful advice if they're still gonna charge me 4 figures.

Is there any reason why I shouldn't just use a set of books that someone used for the Feb '15 sitting? Seems like Amazon or eBay would be a cheap enough route if that's a viable strategy. Or, is there a way to get some generic/cheap MBE materials and then get something state-specific elsewhere? If so, where would I get said state-specific material? Where would I get the MBE stuff?

Thanks in advice

*Mods: I posted here in order to use the anon. feature. I used the anon. feature because I think the info about my exam state and the fact i'm self-studying will out me at my non-NY school*

Re: BAR Exam self-study Qs

Postby glitched » Mon May 04, 2015 9:15 am

Feb 15 materials will be fine if you can get your hands on them.

Then sign up for AdaptiBar ( for the MBE ($395).

And then buy SmartBarPrep ( if in NY or CA for the essays ($99).

I think that should be enough to pass.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon May 04, 2015 6:42 pm

Any other takers? And to respond to the ApadtiBar recommendation, buying (supplemental) prep materials from a relatively unknown company for 400 dollars would be a pretty dramatic departure from my purpose of self-studying: saving money.

Postby quiver » Mon May 04, 2015 9:10 pm

I think maybe thesealocust posted somewhere that baroutlines is a good option for the low low price of $100 (although I can't find his specific post right now).

Postby lukertin » Mon May 04, 2015 9:20 pm

I studied for the bar on my own while working full time. I bought a set of books (they were from two years ago) off ebay for like, $470 or so (resold them later for $500. I kind of lucked out because the woman who sold me the books on ebay happened to work at the same place I did, and she gave me a copy of their state outlines). Outlined all the major subjects while going through the MBE subjects book and parts of the State law subjects book. Once I finished outlining the MBE subjects I just did MBE questions (provided in the barbri books) every day, basically, for a few months. Went through all the outlines whenever I had dead line (lunch, bicycling in the gym, during morning and evening commutes). That was it. Passed on the first try during an examination for which the pass rate was like 55%.

The most important thing is to have a schedule, and stick to it.

The stuff about how barbri or whomever updates the state law every year is complete bullshit. Nobody gives a damn if you memorized every rule on the book, subject to the state supreme court ruling that came out last week. If you cite the wrong rule on an essay question they'll take off maybe 1 point out of 10 (assuming they do that at all). The main purpose of the writing section for most states is to ensure you aren't mentally deficient, know how to present a persuasive, logical argument and identify counter-arguments.

Return to “Legal Employment”