Summer associate bag/brief ideas

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Summer associate bag/brief ideas

Postby Anonymous User » Fri May 01, 2015 9:16 pm

2L SA coming up, and I'm trying to find any excuse to put off studying for my last final.

I was wondering if anybody had any recommendations as to what kind of bag/brief I should get for the summer. I've been planning on getting a slim briefcase - something canvas or brushed leather (not too formal looking). I'm just concerned that a slim brief might not be big enough (think like 2-3 inch depth). How much paper/docs do people take home with them?

If it'd be smarter to have something a little bigger, I was thinking of going with a messenger bag. Would a messenger bag be too informal? I'm working at a more conservative firm, but a West Coast office that is business casual.

What do you guys think?

TheDogWhisperer

Re: Summer associate bag/brief ideas

Postby TheDogWhisperer » Fri May 01, 2015 9:18 pm

ask first if you actually need this.. at mine, you don't

mr.hands

Postby mr.hands » Fri May 01, 2015 9:20 pm

I bought one last year and didn't use it even once during my 12 week summer. Not a single day.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri May 01, 2015 9:25 pm

So you never really had to bring anything to/from the office? Kind of like being at a bar without a drink, I always feel a little empty-handed when I come into work without a bag of some kind.

UnicornHunter

Postby UnicornHunter » Fri May 01, 2015 9:36 pm

mr.hands

Postby mr.hands » Fri May 01, 2015 9:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:So you never really had to bring anything to/from the office? Kind of like being at a bar without a drink, I always feel a little empty-handed when I come into work without a bag of some kind.

No. There's just nothing for you to bring. I wouldn't spend $100+ buying a bag just for the sake of having something to bring in. You can get one when you start working for real

moonman157

Postby moonman157 » Fri May 01, 2015 9:53 pm

Tagging. I also feel weird not bringing a bag, especially since I love to spend the subway ride reading a book and don't want to look like a tool walking in with a book in my hand every day. I have a black backpack but I'm not sure if that's "fancy" enough, but I feel like I would look way too formal with a briefcase or something. Is a messenger bag TCR?

Br3v

Postby Br3v » Fri May 01, 2015 10:43 pm

Do we bring our own laptop or just use a computer there?

Postby 03152016 » Fri May 01, 2015 11:25 pm

moonman157 wrote:Tagging. I also feel weird not bringing a bag, especially since I love to spend the subway ride reading a book and don't want to look like a tool walking in with a book in my hand every day. I have a black backpack but I'm not sure if that's "fancy" enough, but I feel like I would look way too formal with a briefcase or something. Is a messenger bag TCR?

ya same
i have a black chrome backpack
idk if it's formal enough

if it's true we don't need a bag that would be cool

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Fri May 01, 2015 11:57 pm

Br3v wrote:Do we bring our own laptop or just use a computer there?

You use a computer there, because of security and file management systems and so on.

nsideirish

Postby nsideirish » Sat May 02, 2015 12:20 am

What about bringing a bag w/ a change of clothes or whatever if you plan on going straight out to the bars from work? My apartment is a 20 min train ride in the opposite direction from the nightlife area so I'd rather not have to take the train home, change, and then train it right back into the city.

dixiecupdrinking

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Sat May 02, 2015 1:15 am

It's really hard to convey how little anyone at your summer firms will care about what you're wearing or carrying to work. It's natural to overthink this stuff because it's a big deal from your perspective, but you have to remember you will barely penetrate the awareness of anyone important all summer. If you want to bring a change of clothes, bring it in a plain backpack or a messenger bag or literally anything that doesn't call undue attention to yourself and you will be absolutely fine.

shock259

Postby shock259 » Sat May 02, 2015 6:33 am

nsideirish wrote:What about bringing a bag w/ a change of clothes or whatever if you plan on going straight out to the bars from work? My apartment is a 20 min train ride in the opposite direction from the nightlife area so I'd rather not have to take the train home, change, and then train it right back into the city.

Can you not just wear the clothes you have on...?

Also, when I was a summer we were explicitly told that we were not permitted to bring work home for liability reasons. AKA they were think we're idiots and don't trust us.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat May 02, 2015 6:05 pm

I'm an associate at a business casual, West Coast law firm. I carry my laptop to/from work in the laptop bag my firm gave me on my first day. I'm thinking of getting a laptop backpack instead for ergo reasons. I almost never carry papers to/from work because I prefer to work electronically/look at docs on my second monitor. I have never noticed or cared what (if anything) a summer associate was carrying to or from work. Nor do I think the partners notice/care what I am carrying to/from work, except that culturally, it might seem weird if an associate never took their laptop home.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue May 05, 2015 10:25 am

nsideirish wrote:What about bringing a bag w/ a change of clothes or whatever if you plan on going straight out to the bars from work? My apartment is a 20 min train ride in the opposite direction from the nightlife area so I'd rather not have to take the train home, change, and then train it right back into the city.

When I needed a change of clothes for an event, I brought them in a (non-ratty) gym bag and never felt awkward about it.
Edit: accedental anon

Return to “Legal Employment”