Mass Mailing and Transferring

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Mass Mailing and Transferring

Postby Anonymous User » Fri May 01, 2015 6:22 pm

What's the general credited strategy here? Vandy/UCLA/UT student.

Wait until you've been accepted and decided on your new school? Or would it be advisable to do a late June/early July blast then update the no response firms towards the end of July with a new resume informing them of your transfer?

shock259

Re: Mass Mailing and Transferring

Postby shock259 » Sat May 02, 2015 6:39 am

I waited until I was accepted, then sent out everything with my new school's name on it. Hard to say if it helped. Overall, I had lackluster mass mailing results. Depending on when acceptances start rolling in, you may be a little late to the party.

Where are you applying? Some schools are pretty quick decisions, and some notoriously slow.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon May 04, 2015 5:03 pm

I had an early acceptance from GULC, so I put that on my resume (that I was accepted, and awaiting other transfer decisions), then either updated via email or in person during the interview. Overall my mass mail results were lackluster, and I only got 2 or 3 bites. But one of them ended up being my SA firm.

Hard to say for you what's the best way to go. But, that's how I did it, and it worked out.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Mon May 04, 2015 5:14 pm

When do schools get back to you with a decision? Late June/Early July might be a bit early for a good blasting, you're probably fine if you wait until mid July or late July.

unlicensedpotato

Postby unlicensedpotato » Mon May 04, 2015 5:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I had an early acceptance from GULC, so I put that on my resume (that I was accepted, and awaiting other transfer decisions), then either updated via email or in person during the interview. Overall my mass mail results were lackluster, and I only got 2 or 3 bites. But one of them ended up being my SA firm.

Hard to say for you what's the best way to go. But, that's how I did it, and it worked out.

This seems really messy to me. I would either (1) send out your resume early, state in cover letter you're applying to transfer, and update the firms with a new resume when you decide or (2) wait to mail firms until after you decide and put your new school on resume.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon May 04, 2015 5:51 pm

Thanks for the input, all. I wouldn't foresee this dragging out past like July 15th, either way.
unlicensedpotato wrote:(1) send out your resume early, state in cover letter you're applying to transfer, and update the firms with a new resume when you decide

I kind of want to do this because I feel like it might give me a second (legitimate) chance to have my resume noticed. Is that a silly thought or is it a legit strategy?

unlicensedpotato

Postby unlicensedpotato » Mon May 04, 2015 6:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Thanks for the input, all. I wouldn't foresee this dragging out past like July 15th, either way.
unlicensedpotato wrote:(1) send out your resume early, state in cover letter you're applying to transfer, and update the firms with a new resume when you decide

I kind of want to do this because I feel like it might give me a second (legitimate) chance to have my resume noticed. Is that a silly thought or is it a legit strategy?

Doesn't sound silly at all to me. I always wanted to have updates to email firms to try and get recruiting to take multiple looks.

My thinking is also that you already have a good GPA (presumably) if you're applying to transfer. I'm not sure why above poster was so eager to put GULC GPA 0.00 on a resume. I think it would look silly to send them a resume with one transfer school on it and then two weeks later send an email with a different transfer school.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Mon May 04, 2015 6:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Thanks for the input, all. I wouldn't foresee this dragging out past like July 15th, either way.

I think the grimness of the reality is that it'll either go straight in the trash or held in the holding bin, regardless of whether or not you stay or regardless of where you transfer to.

I don't really think sending the updated resume will really make a difference (especially because the update will be like 2 weeks after you first apply) but yeah, I know people like to do the updating thing so go for it I guess? I don't really see it hurting, just neutral.

I also didn't transfer so grain of salt, etc.

Return to “Legal Employment”