Mass Mail -> Call-back before OCI

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Mass Mail -> Call-back before OCI

Postby Anonymous User » Fri May 01, 2015 5:22 pm

NY market Biglaw, sent in an application for 1L summer position (rejected) but instead they gave me a CB opportunity during the summer (before the OCI).

any advice on what I should expect? would it be more or less the same as regular post-OCI CB? (offer rate, etc..). At least it seems the format is the same, with 4~5 interviewers over 4~5 hour period and whatnot.

thanks

michael2015

Re: Mass Mail -> Call-back before OCI

Postby michael2015 » Fri May 01, 2015 5:35 pm

From what you posted it sounds the same. Have had and have heard different experiences i.e. offer rate but that's based on the candidate and how you perform in the interview.

Trick thing is w/r/t expiration of possible offer. If you get offered super early pre-OCI your 28 day offer clock will start ticking.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri May 01, 2015 5:47 pm

michael2015 wrote:From what you posted it sounds the same. Have had and have heard different experiences i.e. offer rate but that's based on the candidate and how you perform in the interview.

Trick thing is w/r/t expiration of possible offer. If you get offered super early pre-OCI your 28 day offer clock will start ticking.

so 28 days is the norm?

cookiejar1

Postby cookiejar1 » Fri May 01, 2015 5:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
michael2015 wrote:From what you posted it sounds the same. Have had and have heard different experiences i.e. offer rate but that's based on the candidate and how you perform in the interview.

so 28 days is the norm?

yes but firms who extend offers early will generally extend if you ask them nicely / if they didn't already volunteer it (QE, for example, will straight out tell you that your offer expires 28 days after your school's OCI starts/ends)

Mr. Elshal

Postby Mr. Elshal » Fri May 01, 2015 5:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:NY market Biglaw, sent in an application for 1L summer position (rejected) but instead they gave me a CB opportunity during the summer (before the OCI).

any advice on what I should expect? would it be more or less the same as regular post-OCI CB? (offer rate, etc..). At least it seems the format is the same, with 4~5 interviewers over 4~5 hour period and whatnot.

thanks

Should be the same. Be careful about school policies. I had a few of these lined up and my school reached out to the firms, like a week before my first pre-OCI CB was supposed to take place, to inform them that school policy prohibits firms from doing callbacks before OCI begins.

To clarify, they didn't just send it to firms I was interviewing with--they sent it to a lot of firms including the ones I was interviewing with. But it was definitely a hassle to make all the arrangements to go to the CBs and then have to reschedule for over a month later.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri May 01, 2015 6:13 pm

Mr. Elshal wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:NY market Biglaw, sent in an application for 1L summer position (rejected) but instead they gave me a CB opportunity during the summer (before the OCI).

thanks

Should be the same. Be careful about school policies. I had a few of these lined up and my school reached out to the firms, like a week before my first pre-OCI CB was supposed to take place, to inform them that school policy prohibits firms from doing callbacks before OCI begins.

To clarify, they didn't just send it to firms I was interviewing with--they sent it to a lot of firms including the ones I was interviewing with. But it was definitely a hassle to make all the arrangements to go to the CBs and then have to reschedule for over a month later.

OP here. I've cleared the issue with the school and luckily they didn't care.

So the anecdotal accounts about the firm's distinct CB process (gathered from my school's 2/3Ls) would hold true for me as well? Surely it would differ by firms and interview performance is what matters at the end, but I was just curious if pre-OCI interviewees will be put on a different pool or criteria

michael2015

Postby michael2015 » Fri May 01, 2015 6:27 pm

So the anecdotal accounts about the firm's distinct CB process (gathered from my school's 2/3Ls) would hold true for me as well? Surely it would differ by firms and interview performance is what matters at the end, but I was just curious if pre-OCI interviewees will be put on a different pool or criteria

Yes. Should be the same process.

28 day requirement is an ABA(?) requirement. And most, but not all places, will extend. They want to keep that yield rate up.

cookiejar1

Postby cookiejar1 » Fri May 01, 2015 6:43 pm

michael2015 wrote: 28 day requirement is an ABA(?) requirement.

NALP Guidelines.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri May 01, 2015 7:00 pm

Regardless of what the NALP guidelines say, READ THE OFFER LETTER.

I had a couple of pre-OCI BigLaw offers last year, and both clearly said in the offer letter they expire 28 days from the date of the letter. One firm requested to notify them at least 10 days in advance if I was going to request an extension, the other didn't have any procedures listed.

Honestly, if possible, I would try to schedule your mass mail CBs as close to OCI (but still before) as possible. That way the 28 days won't really be an issue if your waiting on OCI

michael2015

Postby michael2015 » Fri May 01, 2015 7:00 pm

cookiejar1 wrote:NALP Guidelines.

Yep. That's it. *Whoops*

Return to “Legal Employment”