Summer Associate Class of 2015

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
rpupkin

Re: Summer Associate Class of 2015: Get on In

Postby rpupkin » Mon Jun 08, 2015 10:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:On the up side, recruiting person said I was asked by name (from someone I havent worked with yet but works with other supervisors I've had) to take on a new project.

On the down side, this is project number 8 (although I think only 4 are really active on any given day). Sigh, looks like another 8:30 - 7:30 day (if I'm lucky).

If you have too much work, don't take on new projects. There's nothing wrong with telling the recruiting person (or whomever) that you've got a full plate at the moment.

No one is going to think less of a summer who turns down work. In fact, the real risk here is accepting too much work and subsequently compromising your work product to the point that someone actually bothers to argue that you should be no-offered.

And if you're trying to take on as much work as possible so that you can impress the maximum number of people at your firm, keep in mind that most of these attorneys won't remember the work you did 18 months from now, when you start as an actual associate. Taking on too much work when you're a summer is pretty much all downside.

Yardbird

Postby Yardbird » Tue Jun 09, 2015 10:36 pm

Going camping this weekend with an undergrad buddy. Should I set up vacation responder to something along the lines of "limited access to internet, will be responding intermittently"? or just don't worry about it?

rpupkin

Postby rpupkin » Tue Jun 09, 2015 10:46 pm

Yardbird wrote:Going camping this weekend with an undergrad buddy. Should I set up vacation responder to something along the lines of "limited access to internet, will be responding intermittently"? or just don't worry about it?

You're a summer associate, right? If so, don't worry about it unless someone specifically asked you to be on call for something.

Yardbird

Postby Yardbird » Tue Jun 09, 2015 10:54 pm

rpupkin wrote:
Yardbird wrote:Going camping this weekend with an undergrad buddy. Should I set up vacation responder to something along the lines of "limited access to internet, will be responding intermittently"? or just don't worry about it?

You're a summer associate, right? If so, don't worry about it unless someone specifically asked you to be on call for something.
Yup and that's what I figured, just wanted another opinion.

Pneumonia

Postby Pneumonia » Wed Jun 10, 2015 9:27 am

Did something similar a few weeks ago. There is an associate here that work for me and a few other SA's is supposed to go through; I let her know, and also my associate mentor. They both thought it was cute that I thought I'd be needed for anything, but appreciated that I'd told them.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 11, 2015 11:26 pm

Honestly don't feel like my workload/deadlines are tighter than the chill-ass gov't job I had last summer. Maybe I'm not billing enough though, but if it's all getting written off, what do they care.

FSK

Postby FSK » Fri Jun 12, 2015 12:44 am

Can't find the 2L thread, so putting this here. I only got a pass and not a high pass on my journal note.

I actually care. Kill me now?

lhanvt13

Postby lhanvt13 » Fri Jun 12, 2015 1:55 am

flawschoolkid wrote:Can't find the 2L thread, so putting this here. I only got a pass and not a high pass on my journal note.

I actually care. Kill me now?

^ Kill yourself

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jun 12, 2015 2:39 am

Guys there is so much drinking going on at this event. Associates, Summers, and Partners just hammered. And they are paying us to do this. I am about to go jump in a pool hope I and my summer class don't all drown. And all or most of us will eventually be lawyers that people will count on for things.

What is even wrong with this system I love it.

First Offense

Postby First Offense » Fri Jun 12, 2015 6:23 am

Playing hard doesn't mean you don't work hard.

lawhopeful10

Postby lawhopeful10 » Fri Jun 12, 2015 6:50 am

In a month or so I need to fly to a good friends bachelor party. I was going to leave the office a bit early like around 3 on a Friday to make it there at a reasonable time. I doubt anyone will care that I leave slightly early that day but I'm wondering if I should say the bachelor party is the reason or if that is a bad look. Any thoughts?

lhanvt13

Postby lhanvt13 » Fri Jun 12, 2015 9:21 am

lawhopeful10 wrote:In a month or so I need to fly to a good friends bachelor party. I was going to leave the office a bit early like around 3 on a Friday to make it there at a reasonable time. I doubt anyone will care that I leave slightly early that day but I'm wondering if I should say the bachelor party is the reason or if that is a bad look. Any thoughts?

Just try not to get noticed on the way out

El Pollito
party fowl

Postby El Pollito » Fri Jun 12, 2015 9:22 am

Anonymous User wrote:Guys there is so much drinking going on at this event. Associates, Summers, and Partners just hammered. And they are paying us to do this. I am about to go jump in a pool hope I and my summer class don't all drown. And all or most of us will eventually be lawyers that people will count on for things.

summer work product is worthless or worse, so they try to make sure you have a good time?

Capitol_Idea

Postby Capitol_Idea » Fri Jun 12, 2015 9:27 am

Got to meet some awesome partners and associates at a dinner event yesterday.

My favorite is the short Indian female partner (who does not look very intimidating at first glance) who told a senior partner he should 'maybe consider a man's drink' and is apparently someone you do not go toe to toe with on bourbon or scotch drinking. I already kind of wanted to work with her team, now I *need* to. I hear she was pretty ballsy with partners even when she was a young associate.

El Pollito
party fowl

Postby El Pollito » Fri Jun 12, 2015 9:33 am

zacharus85 wrote:Got to meet some awesome partners and associates at a dinner event yesterday.

My favorite is the short Indian female partner (who does not look very intimidating at first glance) who told a senior partner he should 'maybe consider a man's drink' and is apparently someone you do not go toe to toe with on bourbon or scotch drinking. I already kind of wanted to work with her team, now I *need* to. I hear she was pretty ballsy with partners even when she was a young associate.

(emasculation fetishist)

Postby 2014 » Fri Jun 12, 2015 9:36 am

lawhopeful10 wrote:In a month or so I need to fly to a good friends bachelor party. I was going to leave the office a bit early like around 3 on a Friday to make it there at a reasonable time. I doubt anyone will care that I leave slightly early that day but I'm wondering if I should say the bachelor party is the reason or if that is a bad look. Any thoughts?

Just sneak out, don't announce it to anyone. Unless there is a culture of giving you shit to do on Friday afternoons, I'd be very surprised if anyone noticed or cared.

DrRighteous

Postby DrRighteous » Fri Jun 12, 2015 9:48 am

El Pollito wrote:
zacharus85 wrote:Got to meet some awesome partners and associates at a dinner event yesterday.

(emasculation fetishist)

This would explain a lot.

Capitol_Idea

Postby Capitol_Idea » Fri Jun 12, 2015 9:53 am

DrRighteous wrote:
El Pollito wrote:

(emasculation fetishist)

This would explain a lot.
I think anyone who isn't as a junior associate is either lying to themselves or in for a rough ride.

If you can't avoid abuse at least learn to like it?

rpupkin

Postby rpupkin » Fri Jun 12, 2015 12:41 pm

Sounds like the kind of person who works (and who expects her associate bitches to work) 16-hour days. Avoid.

Capitol_Idea

Postby Capitol_Idea » Fri Jun 12, 2015 12:49 pm

rpupkin wrote:

Sounds like the kind of person who works (and who expects her associate bitches to work) 16-hour days. Avoid.
I think you're right - she's made it pretty clear they ball hard in the office and out. But I'm really not sure how many 8-10 hour day practices really exist at my firm, and if I have to be working at 2 AM, this team seems like the most tolerable to be stuck in a conference room with.

Desert Fox
Progressively loosing literacy

DFTHREAD

Postby Desert Fox » Fri Jun 12, 2015 12:55 pm

fobstory.jpeg
Last edited by Desert Fox on Thu Jan 07, 2016 4:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jun 12, 2015 1:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Guys there is so much drinking going on at this event. Associates, Summers, and Partners just hammered. And they are paying us to do this. I am about to go jump in a pool hope I and my summer class don't all drown. And all or most of us will eventually be lawyers that people will count on for things.

Latham Summer Academy?

Also no worries, no one drowns.

rpupkin

Postby rpupkin » Fri Jun 12, 2015 1:29 pm

zacharus85 wrote:
rpupkin wrote:

I think you're right - she's made it pretty clear they ball hard in the office and out. But I'm really not sure how many 8-10 hour day practices really exist at my firm, and if I have to be working at 2 AM, this team seems like the most tolerable to be stuck in a conference room with.

There are always at least a couple of relatively chill partners who only make you work long hours when it actually matters. Every firm has such partners, even infamous sweatshops like QE and KE.

The trick is finding those partners, getting assigned to their matters, and then doing good work for them. Easier said than done, because other all the other associates will want to work for those partners as well.

El Pollito
party fowl

Postby El Pollito » Fri Jun 12, 2015 2:14 pm

Desert Fox wrote:The biggest asshole to work with at my firm is the guy who acts like a fun badass to summers. Work hard play hard in big law just means work really fucking hard with some alcoholism on the side.

yeah the drinking is far too desperate to be called play

First Offense

Postby First Offense » Fri Jun 12, 2015 2:43 pm

Desert Fox wrote:The biggest asshole to work with at my firm is the guy who acts like a fun badass to summers. Work hard play hard in big law just means work really fucking hard with some alcoholism on the side.

Reading this in the shitter and laughing.

No offer?

Return to “Legal Employment”