Summer Associate Class of 2015

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
JohannDeMann

Re: Summer Associate Class of 2015: Get on In

Postby JohannDeMann » Sun May 31, 2015 5:15 pm

If you need the money now, cash them. If you don't, just deposit them in 8 weeks.

hdunlop

Postby hdunlop » Sun May 31, 2015 5:17 pm

This won't help you in the short term, but capitalone360.com

How small is your bank? Maybe you can mail it to them. Call and ask. Olds probably ask stuff like that all the time.

Desert Fox
Progressively loosing literacy

DFTHREAD

Postby Desert Fox » Sun May 31, 2015 5:25 pm

fobstory.jpeg
Last edited by Desert Fox on Thu Jan 07, 2016 5:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

lhanvt13

Postby lhanvt13 » Sun May 31, 2015 6:02 pm

sublime wrote:Is anybody running into a problem with their first few paychecks before direct deposit kicks in? My bank doesn't have a branch in NYC, and while I could cash it at the originating bank, I'm not really into having $6,500 in cash. Would it be best to just open another account?

Or how much of a pain in the ass would it be to have that deposited in my friends account, then ACH transferred to mine?

Or ask the firm if I could give them back the checks and they could deposit that amount in my account?

Any thoughts on what the best route would be?

6500? How many weeks?

Un Chien Andalou

Postby Un Chien Andalou » Sun May 31, 2015 6:08 pm

JohannDeMann wrote:If you need the money now, cash them. If you don't, just deposit them in 8 weeks.

Just don't have income for the whole summer. Johan is so helpful.

UMich11

Postby UMich11 » Sun May 31, 2015 6:18 pm

BigZuck wrote:Hiring partner strolled by at like 2 on a Friday and she said "Getting pretty late for a summer, shouldn't you go home?" I'm taking that to mean I can leave every day at 5 if I don't have anything that needs doing. I probably won't leave before 5 but let's just say I'm not planning on staying later than like 5:10 unless I have a reason to.

...no offer?

Big law in secondary market that pays above market. Of the 75 lawyers there were 10-15 in the office on Friday. Left by 545 and maybe 1 associate was still there be him and I were working on the project and finished it. Seems pretty relaxed.

hoos89

Postby hoos89 » Sun May 31, 2015 6:20 pm

sublime wrote:Is anybody running into a problem with their first few paychecks before direct deposit kicks in? My bank doesn't have a branch in NYC, and while I could cash it at the originating bank, I'm not really into having $6,500 in cash. Would it be best to just open another account?

Or how much of a pain in the ass would it be to have that deposited in my friends account, then ACH transferred to mine?

Or ask the firm if I could give them back the checks and they could deposit that amount in my account?

If your bank doesn't have a branch in NYC, perhaps it's time to get a new bank.

hdunlop

Postby hdunlop » Sun May 31, 2015 8:07 pm

too big to fail is the only way to go

DJ JD

Postby DJ JD » Sun May 31, 2015 9:51 pm

Brut wrote:does your bank have an app that lets you do mobile deposit

Most of those apps have a limit.

andy261

Postby andy261 » Sun May 31, 2015 10:10 pm

DJ JD wrote:
Brut wrote:does your bank have an app that lets you do mobile deposit

Most of those apps have a limit.

YMMV, but I know for Schwab you can call them and ask them to raise the mobile check deposit limit. Just explain that your paychecks have gone up and they should be pretty accommodating.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun May 31, 2015 11:42 pm

There's a networking/social event at my firm this week, everyone is going. But I'm in the middle of write on and extremely behind. I've attended all other social events so far, and plan on attending all of them coming up. Is it a big deal to miss just this one?

rpupkin

Postby rpupkin » Sun May 31, 2015 11:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:There's a networking/social event at my firm this week, everyone is going. But I'm in the middle of write on and extremely behind. I've attended all other social events so far, and plan on attending all of them coming up. Is it a big deal to miss just this one?

Probably not. But I don't work at your firm, so I don't know what the norms/expectations are there.

Didn't they assign you an associate mentor? This is a great thing to ask him/her about. Just tell the truth: "I've got to finish write on for LR this week; is it a big deal if I miss the social event?" The associate will tell you if the firm cares.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun May 31, 2015 11:57 pm

Hadn't thought of that, that's exactly what I'll do. Thanks.

Micdiddy

Postby Micdiddy » Mon Jun 01, 2015 1:12 am

rpupkin wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:There's a networking/social event at my firm this week, everyone is going. But I'm in the middle of write on and extremely behind. I've attended all other social events so far, and plan on attending all of them coming up. Is it a big deal to miss just this one?

Probably not. But I don't work at your firm, so I don't know what the norms/expectations are there.

Didn't they assign you an associate mentor? This is a great thing to ask him/her about. Just tell the truth: "I've got to finish write on for LR this week; is it a big deal if I miss the social event?" The associate will tell you if the firm cares.

I think it's almost definitely okay to miss a social event, I think it would a very weird firm that expects 100% participation (mine specifically said they do not expect this). It seems fine especially as a 1L when your summer means so much less than next year. But yeah, just explain the situation they should be totally cool with it.

ozymandius

Postby ozymandius » Mon Jun 01, 2015 7:01 am

If you're in NYC, missing summer events every now and then makes no difference.

If you're in a smaller office, it's likely that everyone will notice and find it weird.

In general--and this is hardly a revelation, but it bears repeating every now and again--once you're already in the door at a firm, law review doesn't really mean anything. Prioritizing that over attending an event that is (I guarantee you) much more inconvenient for everyone else than for you will put people off.

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Mon Jun 01, 2015 9:08 am

ozymandius wrote:If you're in NYC, missing summer events every now and then makes no difference.

If you're in a smaller office, it's likely that everyone will notice and find it weird.

In general--and this is hardly a revelation, but it bears repeating every now and again--once you're already in the door at a firm, law review doesn't really mean anything. Prioritizing that over attending an event that is (I guarantee you) much more inconvenient for everyone else than for you will put people off.

For a 1L SA who has OCI in two months or may want to branch outside private sector, it certainly still could mean something

Also not true generally - firms support shit like law review/journal and putting time towards them, even as an incoming 3L.

trebekismyhero

Postby trebekismyhero » Mon Jun 01, 2015 12:44 pm

hoos89 wrote:

If your bank doesn't have a branch in NYC, perhaps it's time to get a new bank.

This. If you're going to work and live in NYC next year, why would you not open up a new account?

Big Dog

Postby Big Dog » Mon Jun 01, 2015 12:54 pm

In general.....once you're already in the door at a firm, law review doesn't really mean anything.

Not sure I agree. Law firms are prestige hoes, and stuff like LR is nice to put under your bio on their website .

Postby 2014 » Mon Jun 01, 2015 2:55 pm

Firms like it when you clerk and to clerk you need LR so to the extent you are leaning lit you should focus on the write on.

If you are doing corporate then do yourself a favor and stop working on it immediately. Not that you will listen to me because law schoolers are overt prestige whores and can't fathom not striving, but in the corporate case really any event is going to outweigh the LR benefit.

Desert Fox
Progressively loosing literacy

DFTHREAD

Postby Desert Fox » Mon Jun 01, 2015 3:00 pm

fobstory.jpeg
Last edited by Desert Fox on Thu Jan 07, 2016 5:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

First Offense

Postby First Offense » Mon Jun 01, 2015 4:20 pm

Request return of DF offer/no offer thread.

beepboopbeep

Postby beepboopbeep » Mon Jun 01, 2015 4:47 pm

First Offense wrote:Request return of DF offer/no offer thread.

Cicero76

Postby Cicero76 » Mon Jun 01, 2015 7:34 pm

Partner just called my office to ask some questions about the brief we're working on, apparently assuming I would still be here. I'm still here, so I guess that's a win?

North

Postby North » Tue Jun 02, 2015 8:04 pm

*looks back longingly on fast food career*

beepboopbeep

Postby beepboopbeep » Tue Jun 02, 2015 8:15 pm

North wrote:*looks back longingly on fast food career*

Working summer, eh?

I like this shit way more than my pre-LS office jerb, so far at least. If I could do this 40h/week for less $, that would be the goddamn best.

Return to “Legal Employment”