Summer Associate Class of 2015

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
beepboopbeep

Re: Summer Associate Class of 2015: Get on In

Postby beepboopbeep » Wed May 27, 2015 8:25 pm

DC bros still up for meetup sometime this weekend?

lhanvt13

Postby lhanvt13 » Wed May 27, 2015 9:46 pm

beepboopbeep wrote:DC bros still up for meetup sometime this weekend?

Friday or Saturday I'm down.

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Wed May 27, 2015 9:51 pm

sinfiery wrote:How many shirts business casual bros rotating through for the summer?

I'm at 5, thinking about buying 5 more to get a good rotation for the summer but idk.

4 and getting another 4 on payday

Capitol_Idea

Postby Capitol_Idea » Wed May 27, 2015 9:51 pm

lhanvt13 wrote:
beepboopbeep wrote:DC bros still up for meetup sometime this weekend?

Friday or Saturday I'm down.

Maybe Friday but have to check with the missusdoctor.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed May 27, 2015 9:58 pm

INTJ checking in. Not killing it from a social standpoint. No major faux pas or anything, but definitely some mild to moderate aspieness. Will continue to make an effort, but all those damn lunches and events you guys think are so awesome are killing me.

cookiejar1

Postby cookiejar1 » Wed May 27, 2015 10:24 pm

PvblivsScipio wrote:I have no work. Wat do?

I've asked the coordinator and other attorneys. I'm told I'll get something and I don't want to pester them. But I've had large chunks of time now with literally nothing to do. I'm fine enjoying the free time but also don't want to look like a useless human.

Does your firm have recorded CLEs/practice training videos? Watch those to get familiar with your practice area. Read up on all of those random guides on Practical Law (they're actually incredibly helpful). Get familiar with the common forms/precedent documents that's typical of your practice area. You're getting paid to just get familiar with your practice area and if you're the type of person who gets a kick out of independently learning about S-4's then maybe, just maybe, you are biglaw material.

If you're in litigation then I have no idea man what the fuck do you guys even do

skers

Postby skers » Wed May 27, 2015 10:26 pm

I've asked the coordinator and other attorneys. I'm told I'll get something and I don't want to pester them. But I've had large chunks of time now with literally nothing to do. I'm fine enjoying the free time but also don't want to look like a useless human.

Socialize.

PvblivsScipio

Postby PvblivsScipio » Wed May 27, 2015 10:45 pm

cookiejar1 wrote:

Does your firm have recorded CLEs/practice training videos? Watch those to get familiar with your practice area. Read up on all of those random guides on Practical Law (they're actually incredibly helpful). Get familiar with the common forms/precedent documents that's typical of your practice area. You're getting paid to just get familiar with your practice area and if you're the type of person who gets a kick out of independently learning about S-4's then maybe, just maybe, you are biglaw material.

If you're in litigation then I have no idea man what the fuck do you guys even do

We rotate, and I'm currently in Lit. I have lit experience so idk wtf to do as far as learning. Although I'm more of a learner by doing (read: lazy).

skers wrote:

Socialize.

That's what I ended up doing. Got coffee/snacks 3 times with associates.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed May 27, 2015 10:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:INTJ checking in. Not killing it from a social standpoint. No major faux pas or anything, but definitely some mild to moderate aspieness. Will continue to make an effort, but all those damn lunches and events you guys think are so awesome are killing me.

I'm an INTJ as well, but most people think I'm incredibly social. Fake it til you make it. Seriously. I don't enjoy it. I want to go home and do nothing. But put on a smile, listen to people's stories, and add your own. It's all a mask.

North

Postby North » Wed May 27, 2015 10:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:INTJ checking in. Not killing it from a social standpoint. No major faux pas or anything, but definitely some mild to moderate aspieness. Will continue to make an effort, but all those damn lunches and events you guys think are so awesome are killing me.

Samesies. We just got to the point in the summer where not everything is planned for us and they now expect us to hit up attorneys and go to lunch with them and I am DREADING IT. Had no scheduled lunch for the first time today and I pretty much just drove around for an hour. It was glorious. Can't get away with too many more of those though.

I'd get lunch with TLsers though. Jealous of you NY and DC folks.

lhanvt13

Postby lhanvt13 » Wed May 27, 2015 11:16 pm

North wrote:

Samesies. We just got to the point in the summer where not everything is planned for us and they now expect us to hit up attorneys and go to lunch with them and I am DREADING IT. Had no scheduled lunch for the first time today and I pretty much just drove around for an hour. It was glorious. Can't get away with too many more of those though.

What market you in?

Also, the "fake it till you make it" comment. Made me think of that Ted talk about "fake it till you make it." Great talk and might help your social shyness

Robb

Postby Robb » Wed May 27, 2015 11:18 pm

North wrote:

If you were here I'd have lunch with you North. As long as you brought some of that famous hot sauce, of course! (Butttt I'm not an attorney.)

jselson

Postby jselson » Wed May 27, 2015 11:33 pm

I would think INTJ's would thrive in a firm. I'm an INFJ, feel like I can never get a word in, and when I do, it comes out awkwardly. Luckily, the thoughts seem to flow a bit more when I've had a few.

jselson

Postby jselson » Wed May 27, 2015 11:36 pm

First few days have been quite good, though, and I really like the firm and the people, though the first assignment I worked on was doc review :( Thankfully, my other assignments are pretty interesting, and my cohort's great.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed May 27, 2015 11:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:My office's Corporate group became "absolutely slammed" a couple weeks before the summer program started. I thought that be great for us summers interested in that work to gain some exposure to the practice. Instead it means that all of the pro bono cases that corporate associates were working on have fallen into the lap of the summers so they can focus on actual billable time.

It's cool because the cases are super interesting and they are having us do some fairly substantive work on them. But, I really want to gain some insight to what a corporate attorney does. Oh well...still a ton of time for that left.

Get project. Pull up form document. Pull up similar documents from previous similar deals. Change names, headings, and defined terms. Copy and paste sections into documents. Tweak the language to make consistent w/ governing doc and/or other provisions within. Make sure format's correct. Scrutinize heavily. Print out pages. Scrutinize more heavily. Submit. Redline the assigning attorney's update a day or so later and see a page full of red. Sigh. Get next project.

trebekismyhero

Postby trebekismyhero » Thu May 28, 2015 7:43 am

Important clothing question: Are you all dry cleaning your shirts or just throwing them in the washer? I usually just throw my dress shirts in the washer and then hang them up, but they do not come out nearly as well as dry cleaning.

Capitol_Idea

Postby Capitol_Idea » Thu May 28, 2015 8:55 am

trebekismyhero wrote:Important clothing question: Are you all dry cleaning your shirts or just throwing them in the washer? I usually just throw my dress shirts in the washer and then hang them up, but they do not come out nearly as well as dry cleaning.

I'm dry cleaning but it's super convenient for me to do so otherwise I'd wash regularly and iron.

logdog

Postby logdog » Thu May 28, 2015 8:59 am

You should be able to get a couple wears out of each shirt, but after that, dry cleaning is the way to go. Dat light starch 8)

DJ JD

Postby DJ JD » Thu May 28, 2015 9:01 am

No starch >>>

JohannDeMann

Postby JohannDeMann » Thu May 28, 2015 10:31 am

Yall need to invest in steamers. They are like 100 bucks and the best money spent in biglaw. Quicker and easier than ironing and takes up less room in a small apartment. You can def wear your shirts 2-3 times without steaming/washing if you just hang them up after work and wear undershirts.

shifty_eyed

Postby shifty_eyed » Thu May 28, 2015 10:48 am

That feel when your first paycheck hits and it's quadruple your old paystub. :mrgreen:

UpandDown97

Postby UpandDown97 » Thu May 28, 2015 11:06 am

Hoping to get this point addressed: it seems to me that the Summer Associate program is a big bait and switch, and one we as young attorneys basically consent to.

Great treatment, then shit treatment as an associate? Or, could it be that the shit treatment is exageratted?

trebekismyhero

Postby trebekismyhero » Thu May 28, 2015 11:39 am

UpandDown97 wrote:Hoping to get this point addressed: it seems to me that the Summer Associate program is a big bait and switch, and one we as young attorneys basically consent to.

Great treatment, then shit treatment as an associate? Or, could it be that the shit treatment is exageratted?

I would say it is not totally bait and switch since we should all be aware of it. And my firm is very upfront about how things will be much different when we actually start as associates. The main difference is as associates we actually are revenue generators for the firm. No client wants to pay for a summer associate and they want to ease us into their systems. Shit treatment is dependent on firm and practice group. If you aren't sure what practice group you are interested in, then I would use the summer to try and find out which areas of the firm treat junior associates better.

Maybe I am being too generous to firms though. Real associates can weigh in

pancakes3

Postby pancakes3 » Thu May 28, 2015 11:40 am

UpandDown97 wrote:Hoping to get this point addressed: it seems to me that the Summer Associate program is a big bait and switch, and one we as young attorneys basically consent to.

Probably not so much a bait and switch but rather a monkey paw wish, or twilight zone scenario.

JohannDeMann

Postby JohannDeMann » Thu May 28, 2015 12:00 pm

Haven't you realized yet? TLS has just been fucking with you and saying it sucks so noone can have our awesome jobs. It's not going to remain quite this kush, but welcome to the kush life gals and gents.

Return to “Legal Employment”