Summer Associate Class of 2015

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
5ky

Re: Summer Associate Class of 2015: Get on In

Postby 5ky » Mon May 25, 2015 12:09 am

North wrote:Yeah absolutely bill to the firm for lunches. There should be a code for it

you should i guess, but it really doesn't matter. i dont think anybody really bothers to enter their nonbillable time generally; i certainly don't. i just put in my billables/pro bono and then call it a day.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Mon May 25, 2015 12:16 am

North wrote:Yeah absolutely bill to the firm for lunches. There should be a code for it

Can confirm that this is firm specific. Some don't want you to bill for lunches.

hdunlop

Postby hdunlop » Mon May 25, 2015 12:45 am

lhanvt13 wrote:Watching netflix while I work: is this okay? Helps me focus cuz acts like sort of a white noise-ish

can't believe after everything in this thread that this is where i'm stepping in to post this but:

jfc

UpandDown97

Postby UpandDown97 » Mon May 25, 2015 12:49 am

Summer Associate programs have to be the biggest bait and switch ever. They treat you awesome, and then screw you when you're an associate.

5ky

Postby 5ky » Mon May 25, 2015 12:52 am

hdunlop wrote:
lhanvt13 wrote:Watching netflix while I work: is this okay? Helps me focus cuz acts like sort of a white noise-ish

can't believe after everything in this thread that this is where i'm stepping in to post this but:

jfc

to be fair, i do this a lot as an associate. it's not something i would have done as a summer, though. watching TV at work isn't really a good look in your probationary period, although it's not the sort of thing that would get you no-offered

bonerjamz

Postby bonerjamz » Mon May 25, 2015 1:27 am

BigZuck wrote:

Can confirm that this is firm specific. Some don't want you to bill for lunches.

I usually bill 2-2.5 hours to the firm's summer associate program billing code for lunches. We were also do we could do this for coffee breaks.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Mon May 25, 2015 1:34 am

bonerjamz wrote:
BigZuck wrote:

I usually bill 2-2.5 hours to the firm's summer associate program billing code for lunches. We were also do we could do this for coffee breaks.

Eta: or coffee breaks even

sinfiery

Postby sinfiery » Mon May 25, 2015 11:52 am

How many shirts business casual bros rotating through for the summer?

I'm at 5, thinking about buying 5 more to get a good rotation for the summer but idk.

lawhopeful10

Postby lawhopeful10 » Mon May 25, 2015 12:02 pm

sinfiery wrote:How many shirts business casual bros rotating through for the summer?

I'm at 5, thinking about buying 5 more to get a good rotation for the summer but idk.

I'm at like 5-6 now but I wear undershirts under them most of the time so I don't feel weird wearing one twice without pressing / washing it. It's been fine so far but if you want more it can't hurt lol.

MCFC

Postby MCFC » Mon May 25, 2015 12:10 pm

sinfiery wrote:How many shirts business casual bros rotating through for the summer?

Yeah I was thinking I probably need to do another round of shopping after the first paycheck.

lhanvt13

Postby lhanvt13 » Mon May 25, 2015 12:21 pm

MCFC wrote:

Yeah I was thinking I probably need to do another round of shopping after the first paycheck.

Yup currently at 6 hoping to get 6 more after first pay check

bonerjamz

Postby bonerjamz » Mon May 25, 2015 1:57 pm

lawhopeful10 wrote:

I'm at like 5-6 now but I wear undershirts under them most of the time so I don't feel weird wearing one twice without pressing / washing it. It's been fine so far but if you want more it can't hurt lol.

I have 9 right now, which I've found will likely be more than enough. We have casual Fridays, so I only really need 4 per week, so I'm not constantly doing laundry. That being said, I might snag a few more BB non-iron shirts at the semi-annual sale this summer just to have them.

lhanvt13

Postby lhanvt13 » Mon May 25, 2015 2:49 pm

bonerjamz wrote:
lawhopeful10 wrote:

I have 9 right now, which I've found will likely be more than enough. We have casual Fridays, so I only really need 4 per week, so I'm not constantly doing laundry. That being said, I might snag a few more BB non-iron shirts at the semi-annual sale this summer just to have them.

Check out BR non iron tailored slim fits. Those are nice. I tend to like those more than the BB ones

J9ofDiamonds

Postby J9ofDiamonds » Mon May 25, 2015 6:34 pm

hdunlop wrote:

jfc

Yeah, I wouldn't do that as a summer. That's pushing it

J9ofDiamonds

Postby J9ofDiamonds » Mon May 25, 2015 6:35 pm

~12-13

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon May 25, 2015 6:51 pm

Any attractive associates/partners hitting on SAs yet?

skers

Postby skers » Mon May 25, 2015 7:14 pm

J9ofDiamonds wrote:
hdunlop wrote:

jfc

Depends on the firm. I had the world cup on one screen all of last summer and that wasn't even a little bit of a problem.

if you're bored though, I just recommend socializing w/ other summers, but again, that may be firm dependent.

lhanvt13

Postby lhanvt13 » Mon May 25, 2015 7:20 pm

skers wrote:
J9ofDiamonds wrote:
hdunlop wrote:

jfc

Depends on the firm. I had the world cup on one screen all of last summer and that wasn't even a little bit of a problem.

if you're bored though, I just recommend socializing w/ other summers, but again, that may be firm dependent.

Myeh. Thought so. Just wanted white noise for when I work cuz music gets me distracted for some stupid reason.
Thanks for the input peoples

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon May 25, 2015 8:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Any attractive associates/partners hitting on SAs yet?

There are no attractive female attorneys here to me... There are some objectively attractive men here, so I'm sure the female SAs aren't complaining.

SplitMyPants

Postby SplitMyPants » Mon May 25, 2015 8:19 pm

15 so I can go a good two and a half to three weeks with the rotation.

mr.hands

Postby mr.hands » Mon May 25, 2015 10:24 pm

skers wrote:
J9ofDiamonds wrote:
hdunlop wrote:

jfc

Those are two very different things. When I was a SA, I also periodically followed the world cup (everyone, including attorneys, did). It's a once-every-four-years global event. Having Netflix on (esp. while marking it as "billed" time) isn't the same and it's a big deal. The firm won't check the sites that you go to or follow up but if an associate or, God forbid, a partner were to walk in and find you watching Ally McBeal, that could be a disaster. You can watch Netflix at home. You can't watch the World Cup at home after work.

Just check ESPN or text periodically. The work day isn't that long.

skers

Postby skers » Mon May 25, 2015 10:44 pm

mr.hands wrote:
skers wrote:
J9ofDiamonds wrote:
hdunlop wrote:

jfc

Those are two very different things. When I was a SA, I also periodically followed the world cup (everyone, including attorneys, did). It's a once-every-four-years global event. Having Netflix on (esp. while marking it as "billed" time) isn't the same and it's a big deal. The firm won't check the sites that you go to or follow up but if an associate or, God forbid, a partner were to walk in and find you watching Ally McBeal, that could be a disaster. You can watch Netflix at home. You can't watch the World Cup at home after work.

Just check ESPN or text periodically. The work day isn't that long.

Again, that depends on the firm. Summers watched netflix at my firm and were encouraged to do so by associates. It's going to be an all things considering thing though (and we all know how law students are w/ judgment calls) w/r/t billing expectations. Either way, something that should be done after taking into account firm stuff after a couple weeks and probably not a good idea at this stage.

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Mon May 25, 2015 10:51 pm

I would not have considered watching netflix at work

I definitely read news, personal emails, and browse the web and shit. Maybe its a little different own office vs shared office. Last summer I had my own office and felt like if I wanted to stream a little world cup that would be kosher, now with other people in my space who can see my screen idk

hdunlop

Postby hdunlop » Mon May 25, 2015 10:53 pm

Yeah. I honestly can't say anything but jfc to Netflix at work.

bonerjamz

Postby bonerjamz » Mon May 25, 2015 11:08 pm

I think I work on the very informal side of Biglaw, and it feels almost like summer camp with lots of free booze and food, but I still would never have Netflix on at work. I'm sure I wouldn't get no-offered for it, but I'm not comfortable having an associate or partner walk in my office and see Netflix streaming.

Return to “Legal Employment”