Summer Associate Class of 2015

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
arklaw13

Re: Summer Associate Class of 2015: Get on In

Postby arklaw13 » Fri May 22, 2015 1:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Hi guys, looking for some help here. I just started my SA and was out to lunch with some associates and the waitress came to get our drink order. I've never been much of a drinker at all, I don't know anything about beer or wine or anything so I just ordered a "Long Island" because I know it from pop culture or whatever. I thought since this was a SA it would be weird if I just ordered a coke or something. Anyway, no one else got an alcoholic drink but I felt it would be too awkward to change my order. I definitely got a weird vibe after that. Am I screwed?

V25 major market

tortsandtiaras

Postby tortsandtiaras » Fri May 22, 2015 1:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Hi guys, looking for some help here. I just started my SA and was out to lunch with some associates and the waitress came to get our drink order. I've never been much of a drinker at all, I don't know anything about beer or wine or anything so I just ordered a "Long Island" because I know it from pop culture or whatever. I thought since this was a SA it would be weird if I just ordered a coke or something. Anyway, no one else got an alcoholic drink but I felt it would be too awkward to change my order. I definitely got a weird vibe after that. Am I screwed?

V25 major market

No lol, you most certainly are NOT screwed. I would actually think you were pretty cool.

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Fri May 22, 2015 1:35 pm

V25 major market

That's pretty baller

How do you not know what a long island iced tea is

I wouldn't worry about it, just don't drink at lunch too often

Un Chien Andalou

Postby Un Chien Andalou » Fri May 22, 2015 1:35 pm

tortsandtiaras wrote:

V25 major market

No lol, you most certainly are NOT screwed. I would actually think you were pretty cool.

GTFO scumbag 0L.

tortsandtiaras

Postby tortsandtiaras » Fri May 22, 2015 1:42 pm

Un Chien Andalou wrote:
tortsandtiaras wrote:

V25 major market

GTFO scumbag 0L.

delete
Last edited by tortsandtiaras on Sat May 23, 2015 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rpupkin

Postby rpupkin » Fri May 22, 2015 1:45 pm

V25 major market

You can get away with this kind of thing at a V50, but not at a V25.

Seriously, kids: don't order alcoholic drinks at lunch unless it's clear that the attorneys at your table are also doing so.

smaug

Postby smaug » Fri May 22, 2015 1:47 pm

V25 major market

this is pretty good flame

Un Chien Andalou

Postby Un Chien Andalou » Fri May 22, 2015 1:47 pm

tortsandtiaras wrote:
Un Chien Andalou wrote:
tortsandtiaras wrote:

V25 major market

GTFO scumbag 0L.

And how am I scumbag? If you took my comment as sarcastic...it wasn't? There's nothing wrong with ordering ONE drink with a group of adults. Chill out. :roll:

You're not allowed to post in here and that makes you a scumbag, especially since the comment is someone trolling.

rpupkin

Postby rpupkin » Fri May 22, 2015 1:49 pm

Jason Taverner wrote:
V25 major market

this is pretty good flame

Eh...I give it a 160. The "because I know it from pop culture or whatever" line really sabotaged any hope for authenticity.

tortsandtiaras

Postby tortsandtiaras » Fri May 22, 2015 1:50 pm

Wow. I didn't know I couldn't give my opinion on something that is generally true in every profession?

delete.
Last edited by tortsandtiaras on Sat May 23, 2015 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Un Chien Andalou

Postby Un Chien Andalou » Fri May 22, 2015 1:51 pm

tortsandtiaras wrote:Wow. I didn't know I couldn't give my opinion on something that is generally true in every profession?

If I really wasn't allowed to write on this thread (where does it say that?), then at least say it in a respectful manner. I didn't come across as a "scumbag" at all, but you certainly did.

Damn, some people here are so rude.

Right on the front page: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=189981

If you can't read the front page of this bort then I don't trust that you are diligent enough to give advice about any professional topic.

tortsandtiaras

Postby tortsandtiaras » Fri May 22, 2015 1:53 pm

delete.

Un Chien Andalou

Postby Un Chien Andalou » Fri May 22, 2015 1:54 pm

What? I'm not a 0L.

tortsandtiaras

Postby tortsandtiaras » Fri May 22, 2015 1:57 pm

delete.
Last edited by tortsandtiaras on Sat May 23, 2015 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Un Chien Andalou

Postby Un Chien Andalou » Fri May 22, 2015 1:58 pm

YOU CANT SIT WITH US

And you shouldn't be giving advice no one wants your opinion.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Fri May 22, 2015 2:00 pm

No but really the Long Island post was a troll post and 0Ls can't post in this forum

4 serious

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Fri May 22, 2015 2:06 pm

tortsandtiaras wrote:
Un Chien Andalou wrote:What? I'm not a 0L.

This is the last thing I'll say because this is getting completely off-topic here.

The rules say 0L's ASKING ADVICE should not post on this thread. I was not asking anything, I was merely giving my opinion. If you felt so inclined to "redirect me" to a right board or thread, do it in a manner that is respectful and actually helpful next time.

To the OP, if you really aren't a troll, just try not to do it so often. A one time thing isn't going to ruin your employment prospects at all. I'm assuming you are going to be invited to happy hours a few time, so it's not like alcohol is necessarily a deal breaker. Good luck!

The rule is that 0Ls cant post in the legal employment forum, period. It's a hardline rule precisely so people don't have to debate shit like this - was this 0L comment sufficiently neutral or non-advisory, was it inappropriate, ect., no one cares, just dont do it.

Un Chien Andalou

Postby Un Chien Andalou » Fri May 22, 2015 2:08 pm

Someone needs to change those damn rules so 0Ls don't try to law student them and slime their way in here.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Fri May 22, 2015 2:22 pm

jbagelboy wrote:The rule is that 0Ls cant post in the legal employment forum, period. It's a hardline rule precisely so people don't have to debate shit like this - was this 0L comment sufficiently neutral or non-advisory, was it inappropriate, ect., no one cares, just dont do it.

This is not the rule. The rule is: (1) 0Ls who want to ask questions should use the ask a grad forum, and (2) 0Ls posting anything else should use caution.

As I've stated in the past, 0Ls should give advice on things that they are knowledgeable on that law students tend not to be (e.g. paralegal stuff if the 0L is a current/former para). If it's something that law students are knowledgeable on, then the 0L should generally avoid answering since a law student/lawyer will likely answer the question in due course (e.g. stuff about OCI). I get that it sucks to feel like "oh oh, I know the answer!" and not respond, but you really aren't going to be contributing anything of much value and have a significant chance of screwing things up since your answer is most likely mere regurgitation of what you've seen other posters say.

With that in mind, SA etiquette is not one of those things that law students/lawyers are going to lack knowledge of. It is something that TLS posters are quite knowledgeable about. In any event, nobody thinks someone is "cool" for ordering a long island. The fuck?

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Fri May 22, 2015 2:26 pm

bk1 wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:The rule is that 0Ls cant post in the legal employment forum, period. It's a hardline rule precisely so people don't have to debate shit like this - was this 0L comment sufficiently neutral or non-advisory, was it inappropriate, ect., no one cares, just dont do it.

This is not the rule. The rule is: (1) 0Ls who want to ask questions should use the ask a grad forum, and (2) 0Ls posting anything else should use caution.

As I've stated in the past, 0Ls should give advice on things that they are knowledgeable on that law students tend not to be (e.g. paralegal stuff if the 0L is a current/former para). If it's something that law students are knowledgeable on, then the 0L should generally avoid answering since a law student/lawyer will likely answer the question in due course (e.g. stuff about OCI). I get that it sucks to feel like "oh oh, I know the answer!" and not respond, but you really aren't going to be contributing anything of much value and have a significant chance of screwing things up since your answer is most likely mere regurgitation of what you've seen other posters say.

With that in mind, SA etiquette is not one of those things that law students/lawyers are going to lack knowledge of. It is something that TLS posters are quite knowledgeable about. In any event, nobody thinks someone is "cool" for ordering a long island. The fuck?

My bad. It's often expressed as more black and white, but fair enough.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Fri May 22, 2015 2:28 pm

jbagelboy wrote:My bad. It's often expressed as more black and white, but fair enough.

No prob. That's probably our bad for expressing it as such (I know I have), though likely in clear cut cases (since the vast majority of the time it's 0Ls asking questions).

goldenbear92

Postby goldenbear92 » Fri May 22, 2015 2:29 pm

Un Chien Andalou wrote:Someone needs to change those damn rules so 0Ls don't try to law student them and slime their way in here.

Does it count if I'm working at a V-25 firm this summer as an SEO intern? To great extent, I get treated as a summer associate (minus the nature of the work) and as such a lot of the questions still apply (except I'm aiming for a 1L SA vs offer, etc.)

FSK

Postby FSK » Fri May 22, 2015 2:30 pm

How do you get through college and not know what a long island is?

FSK

Postby FSK » Fri May 22, 2015 5:07 pm

Everyone in dc, make sure you see the dupont brass busk at least once. They announce on twitter where they play. By far the best part of dc summer. There at metro center right now if youre headed out and bored

POTUSorSCOTUS

Postby POTUSorSCOTUS » Fri May 22, 2015 5:13 pm

So, are all the males rockin the undercut for their SA hairstyle?

Return to “Legal Employment”