Check out top-law-schools.com

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 309327
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Summer Associate Class of 2015: Get on In

Postby Anonymous User » Mon May 18, 2015 9:52 pm

I'm drunk. Summer is great.

Re. When to leave office: most events start at 5:30 so I'm guessing we're expected to stay until 5:30. Either way, free booze is great

FSK

Platinum
Posts: 8056
Joined: Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:47 pm

Re: Summer Associate Class of 2015: Get on In

Postby FSK » Mon May 18, 2015 10:05 pm

jselson wrote:
North wrote:Looks like I'm in for a ~working summer~...

"Wow we're done at 5:30. You guys should take this opportunity to go home. It's probably the last time you'll get to leave at 5:30."


Market?


I'm in DC at a satellite. I know my work isn't vetted (though I wish it was).
Last edited by FSK on Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Monochromatic Oeuvre

Gold
Posts: 2016
Joined: Fri May 10, 2013 9:40 pm

Re: Summer Associate Class of 2015: Get on In

Postby Monochromatic Oeuvre » Mon May 18, 2015 10:42 pm

Long first day. Just got home from NYC.

Was tired until I realized I basically got paid $600 to sit in meetings all day; now exhilarated.

User avatar
jselson

Platinum
Posts: 6337
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:51 am

Re: Summer Associate Class of 2015: Get on In

Postby jselson » Mon May 18, 2015 10:49 pm

Monochromatic Oeuvre wrote:Long first day. Just got home from NYC.

Was tired until I realized I basically got paid $600 to sit in meetings all day; now exhilarated.


User avatar
J9ofDiamonds

Gold
Posts: 3367
Joined: Sun Mar 08, 2015 9:06 pm

Re: Summer Associate Class of 2015: Get on In

Postby J9ofDiamonds » Mon May 18, 2015 11:24 pm

Monochromatic Oeuvre wrote:Long first day. Just got home from NYC.

Was tired until I realized I basically got paid $600 to sit in meetings all day; now exhilarated.


Lol same. One of the other summers was kind of bitching to me about how boring the IT orientation and shit was, and I'm like "dude, we are getting paid 600$ today to sit and chill and listen to people, and then those same people are taking us out to dinner and drinks." not so bad :D

User avatar
Yardbird

Silver
Posts: 1109
Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:45 pm

Re: Summer Associate Class of 2015: Get on In

Postby Yardbird » Tue May 19, 2015 12:19 am

One week in and absolutely loving it.

bonerjamz

New
Posts: 17
Joined: Mon May 04, 2015 6:24 pm

Re: Summer Associate Class of 2015: Get on In

Postby bonerjamz » Tue May 19, 2015 12:22 am

Just finished first day. So full. So drunk.

DJ JD

Bronze
Posts: 152
Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2015 9:58 pm

Re: Summer Associate Class of 2015: Get on In

Postby DJ JD » Tue May 19, 2015 1:09 am

Partners already playing games trying to pit the summers against each other like there aren't enough spots for everyone here. :lol:

User avatar
MKC

Diamond
Posts: 16246
Joined: Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:18 am

Re: Summer Associate Class of 2015: Get on In

Postby MKC » Tue May 19, 2015 11:21 am

DJ JD wrote:Partners already playing games trying to pit the summers against each other like there aren't enough spots for everyone here. :lol:


Only two summers here, and I started a month before the other one. Definitely looking forward to the company of a peer next week. I doubt there will be any head games here.

User avatar
jselson

Platinum
Posts: 6337
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:51 am

Re: Summer Associate Class of 2015: Get on In

Postby jselson » Tue May 19, 2015 11:56 am

MarkinKansasCity wrote:
DJ JD wrote:Partners already playing games trying to pit the summers against each other like there aren't enough spots for everyone here. :lol:


Only two summers here, and I started a month before the other one. Definitely looking forward to the company of a peer next week. I doubt there will be any head games here.


They're gonna put you two in the elevator, lock it, and over the intercom scream "THUNDERDOME"

Betharl

Bronze
Posts: 230
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:48 pm

Re: Summer Associate Class of 2015: Get on In

Postby Betharl » Tue May 19, 2015 1:55 pm

Now that more people have started, do we have any better idea on the suit vs. business casual for first day question (at a business casual firm)? Everything I've come across outside of TLS says suit for the first day, maybe even first couple days, but people here still seem split.

Are you guys showing up empty handed? Or should we bring some sort of notebook or padfolio or something?

User avatar
TLSModBot

Diamond
Posts: 14842
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:54 am

Re: Summer Associate Class of 2015: Get on In

Postby TLSModBot » Tue May 19, 2015 2:04 pm

Betharl wrote:Now that more people have started, do we have any better idea on the suit vs. business casual for first day question (at a business casual firm)? Everything I've come across outside of TLS says suit for the first day, maybe even first couple days, but people here still seem split.

Are you guys showing up empty handed? Or should we bring some sort of notebook or padfolio or something?
Suit first day. Maybe even first week - just don't be the first guy to go casual.

Everyone at my firm brought a padfolio - they make surprisingly good shields for SA elevator thunderdome matches.

resilience99

Bronze
Posts: 124
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:15 pm

Re: Summer Associate Class of 2015: Get on In

Postby resilience99 » Tue May 19, 2015 2:09 pm

How do you know your firm is business casual? I don't remember from the interview.

Un Chien Andalou

New
Posts: 91
Joined: Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:45 am

Re: Summer Associate Class of 2015: Get on In

Postby Un Chien Andalou » Tue May 19, 2015 2:24 pm

zacharus85 wrote:
Betharl wrote:Now that more people have started, do we have any better idea on the suit vs. business casual for first day question (at a business casual firm)? Everything I've come across outside of TLS says suit for the first day, maybe even first couple days, but people here still seem split.

Are you guys showing up empty handed? Or should we bring some sort of notebook or padfolio or something?
Suit first day. Maybe even first week - just don't be the first guy to go casual


Lol

User avatar
lhanvt13

Gold
Posts: 2378
Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:59 am

Re: Summer Associate Class of 2015: Get on In

Postby lhanvt13 » Tue May 19, 2015 3:47 pm

Un Chien Andalou wrote:
zacharus85 wrote:
Betharl wrote:Now that more people have started, do we have any better idea on the suit vs. business casual for first day question (at a business casual firm)? Everything I've come across outside of TLS says suit for the first day, maybe even first couple days, but people here still seem split.

Are you guys showing up empty handed? Or should we bring some sort of notebook or padfolio or something?
Suit first day. Maybe even first week - just don't be the first guy to go casual


Lol

Been keeping it business casual since day 1. I was suit pants + dress shirt + dress shoes + no tie or jacket . 2nd day and half the people are dressed down now

User avatar
TLSModBot

Diamond
Posts: 14842
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:54 am

Re: Summer Associate Class of 2015: Get on In

Postby TLSModBot » Tue May 19, 2015 3:57 pm

lhanvt13 wrote:
Un Chien Andalou wrote:
zacharus85 wrote:
Betharl wrote:Now that more people have started, do we have any better idea on the suit vs. business casual for first day question (at a business casual firm)? Everything I've come across outside of TLS says suit for the first day, maybe even first couple days, but people here still seem split.

Are you guys showing up empty handed? Or should we bring some sort of notebook or padfolio or something?
Suit first day. Maybe even first week - just don't be the first guy to go casual


Lol

Been keeping it business casual since day 1. I was suit pants + dress shirt + dress shoes + no tie or jacket . 2nd day and half the people are dressed down now

Fools, every last one of you. I've been going the opposite direction for increased formality (and thus increased prestige and hiring potential). Should be in full coat and tails with top hat by week's end.

User avatar
smaug

Diamond
Posts: 13973
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2015 8:31 pm

Re: Summer Associate Class of 2015: Get on In

Postby smaug » Tue May 19, 2015 4:14 pm

You all better dusty off your monocles.

User avatar
TLSModBot

Diamond
Posts: 14842
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:54 am

Re: Summer Associate Class of 2015: Get on In

Postby TLSModBot » Tue May 19, 2015 4:17 pm

Jason Taverner wrote:You all better dusty off your monocles.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/we ... se-monocle

Emergency supplies for all you proles not in the know.

jsmith201

New
Posts: 43
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:56 pm

Re: Summer Associate Class of 2015: Get on In

Postby jsmith201 » Tue May 19, 2015 4:40 pm

So for those of you at business casual firms that are leaving a suit at the office....did you just bring it in one day? come in the evening and hang it in your office? I think it might be odd to ride the elevator carrying my suit in the morning

User avatar
Desert Fox

Diamond
Posts: 18302
Joined: Thu Sep 04, 2014 4:34 pm

DFTHREAD

Postby Desert Fox » Tue May 19, 2015 4:41 pm

fobstory.jpeg
Last edited by Desert Fox on Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:36 am, edited 2 times in total.

FSK

Platinum
Posts: 8056
Joined: Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:47 pm

Re: Summer Associate Class of 2015: Get on In

Postby FSK » Tue May 19, 2015 4:43 pm

I dont think anyone actually gives a shit. Like, if youre normal and do good work, youll do ok.
Last edited by FSK on Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
TLSModBot

Diamond
Posts: 14842
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:54 am

Re: Summer Associate Class of 2015: Get on In

Postby TLSModBot » Tue May 19, 2015 4:43 pm

jsmith201 wrote:So for those of you at business casual firms that are leaving a suit at the office....did you just bring it in one day? come in the evening and hang it in your office? I think it might be odd to ride the elevator carrying my suit in the morning

One piece at a time so no one will notice. I've got one sock and a belt thus far. Gonna try for pants tomorrow.

User avatar
First Offense

Platinum
Posts: 7091
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:45 pm

Re: Summer Associate Class of 2015: Get on In

Postby First Offense » Tue May 19, 2015 4:47 pm

Anyone get fired yet?

User avatar
rpupkin

Platinum
Posts: 5658
Joined: Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:32 pm

Re: Summer Associate Class of 2015: Get on In

Postby rpupkin » Tue May 19, 2015 4:51 pm

jsmith201 wrote:So for those of you at business casual firms that are leaving a suit at the office....did you just bring it in one day? come in the evening and hang it in your office? I think it might be odd to ride the elevator carrying my suit in the morning

Bringing a suit to work in the morning? Not odd at all. Going to the office at night for the sole purpose of hanging your suit? Pretty fucking odd.

Your instincts are all messed up. For the rest of the summer, I suggest pulling a George Costanza: always do the opposite of what your gut tells you to do.

User avatar
jbagelboy

Diamond
Posts: 10236
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:57 pm

Re: Summer Associate Class of 2015: Get on In

Postby jbagelboy » Tue May 19, 2015 5:13 pm

rpupkin wrote:
jsmith201 wrote:So for those of you at business casual firms that are leaving a suit at the office....did you just bring it in one day? come in the evening and hang it in your office? I think it might be odd to ride the elevator carrying my suit in the morning

Bringing a suit to work in the morning? Not odd at all. Going to the office at night for the sole purpose of hanging your suit? Pretty fucking odd.

Your instincts are all messed up. For the rest of the summer, I suggest pulling a George Costanza: always do the opposite of what your gut tells you to do.


Lol



Return to “Legal Employment?

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.