Summer Associate Class of 2015

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
User avatar
moonman157
Posts: 1039
Joined: Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:26 pm

Re: Summer Associate Class of 2015: Get on In

Postby moonman157 » Fri May 01, 2015 11:40 pm

Wow, that May 11 date seems really early. We're not even done with finals until the 14th. Is anyone having problems with conflicting finals and work schedules, out of curiosity? I'm not starting till the 26th and I'm seriously looking forward to the down time in between

User avatar
bananasplit19
Posts: 686
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:53 pm

Re: Summer Associate Class of 2015: Get on In

Postby bananasplit19 » Fri May 01, 2015 11:47 pm

flawschoolkid wrote:Also, I want to put some stuff in the OP on how to not get no-offered. Props if its funny.

My firm had one no-offer last year. I asked some associates what he did, and they said it ended up being a three strikes sort of thing:

1. Wore flip-flops to work. It's a CA firm so "business casual" is closer to "casual" than "business," but rubbed a lot of people the wrong way.
2. Unabashedly spent most of each day parked in front of the TV in the dining area watching the World Cup.
3. Since he spent all day watching soccer, had to stay late a lot to get actual work done. Firm sometimes pays for dinner delivery when you have to work late, and evidently he opted for the $80 lobster delivery and billed the firm.

So, word of advice for everyone: don't be that guy.

sweeteavodka
Posts: 35
Joined: Mon Aug 04, 2014 2:11 pm

Re: Summer Associate Class of 2015: Get on In

Postby sweeteavodka » Sat May 02, 2015 12:23 am

moonman157 wrote:Wow, that May 11 date seems really early. We're not even done with finals until the 14th. Is anyone having problems with conflicting finals and work schedules, out of curiosity? I'm not starting till the 26th and I'm seriously looking forward to the down time in between


Echoing earlier comments. Firm gave me options of start dates. I took the earliest one and made sure I didn't have classes with exams on the 11th or later. I need the money.

resilience99 wrote: Might be to early for this but what are u guys spending your money on? I was just thinking the wise thing to do is pay off 3L tuition but that's just not fun. No other real expenses for the summer.


Boring, yes, but this is what I'm doing. Less debt I have to take next year.

User avatar
J9ofDiamonds
Posts: 3367
Joined: Sun Mar 08, 2015 9:06 pm

Re: Summer Associate Class of 2015: Get on In

Postby J9ofDiamonds » Sat May 02, 2015 1:20 am

Checking in. NYC, may 18th start date. The 11th does sound pretty early, do you run until the July 31st?

User avatar
J9ofDiamonds
Posts: 3367
Joined: Sun Mar 08, 2015 9:06 pm

Re: Summer Associate Class of 2015: Get on In

Postby J9ofDiamonds » Sat May 02, 2015 1:23 am

Brut wrote:how much time did ppl put into write-on
it starts the same day as my starting date :|


I dished mine out in like 24 hours, but I worked straight through for pretty much the whole time. That is going to be a pain in the ass to deal with during the first week of work. Grats on the 1L SA, though.

User avatar
Yardbird
Posts: 1093
Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:45 pm

Re: Summer Associate Class of 2015: Get on In

Postby Yardbird » Sat May 02, 2015 1:34 am

sweeteavodka wrote:
moonman157 wrote:Wow, that May 11 date seems really early. We're not even done with finals until the 14th. Is anyone having problems with conflicting finals and work schedules, out of curiosity? I'm not starting till the 26th and I'm seriously looking forward to the down time in between


Echoing earlier comments. Firm gave me options of start dates. I took the earliest one and made sure I didn't have classes with exams on the 11th or later. I need the money.
12 week program, so May 11-July 31.

sweeteavodka wrote:
resilience99 wrote: Might be to early for this but what are u guys spending your money on? I was just thinking the wise thing to do is pay off 3L tuition but that's just not fun. No other real expenses for the summer.


Boring, yes, but this is what I'm doing. Less debt I have to take next year.
I'll be opening up a Roth IRA (contributing the max $5,500), paying $2,500 in interest for my student loans (exact amount for max deduction for tax return), investing 60% of remaining in securities, saving 40% to account for any taxes I might owe/buffer for school year/start saving for my "bar trip." At this point, changing the amount I borrow next year won't change my overall debt load by that much. Aggressive payments are for later.

User avatar
brotherdarkness
Posts: 3254
Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:11 pm

Re: Summer Associate Class of 2015: Get on In

Postby brotherdarkness » Sat May 02, 2015 1:45 am

I'm back, bitches!

User avatar
shifty_eyed
Posts: 1934
Joined: Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:09 pm

Re: Summer Associate Class of 2015: Get on In

Postby shifty_eyed » Sat May 02, 2015 1:53 am

brotherdarkness wrote:I'm back, bitches!


Tell us how to SA.

User avatar
brotherdarkness
Posts: 3254
Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:11 pm

Re: Summer Associate Class of 2015: Get on In

Postby brotherdarkness » Sat May 02, 2015 2:05 am

shifty_eyed wrote:
brotherdarkness wrote:I'm back, bitches!


Tell us how to SA.


Be the cog.

User avatar
goden
Posts: 2267
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:52 pm

Re: Summer Associate Class of 2015: Get on In

Postby goden » Sat May 02, 2015 5:18 am

Mods plz is this a joke

User avatar
goden
Posts: 2267
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:52 pm

Re: Summer Associate Class of 2015: Get on In

Postby goden » Sat May 02, 2015 5:19 am

I bet it's slack or sublime lol

User avatar
MCFC
Posts: 8502
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:46 pm

Re: Summer Associate Class of 2015: Get on In

Postby MCFC » Sat May 02, 2015 6:02 am

jbagelboy wrote:
resilience99 wrote:
sweeteavodka wrote:Checking in. NYC. Starting May 11. Last exam is Wednesday and I don't have to move, thank God.



That's pretty early. I'm also in NY and I start end of May. When do u end ? Anyone else starting that early?


also starting may 11th, but I think the 18th is the most common start date at my school

Yeah on May 11th I'll still have two finals left to go.

shock259
Posts: 1737
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:30 am

Re: Summer Associate Class of 2015: Get on In

Postby shock259 » Sat May 02, 2015 6:35 am

1st year here. Checking in for the upcoming amusement and to fan the flames of anxiety in this thread. :)

User avatar
Br3v
Posts: 4174
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:18 pm

Re: Summer Associate Class of 2015: Get on In

Postby Br3v » Sat May 02, 2015 8:52 am

Lol can't really be him

User avatar
pancakes3
Posts: 3898
Joined: Sun Jul 20, 2014 2:49 pm

Re: Summer Associate Class of 2015: Get on In

Postby pancakes3 » Sat May 02, 2015 9:26 am

brotherdarkness wrote:I'm back, bitches!


I've heard so much. Tag.

FSK
Posts: 6345
Joined: Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:47 pm

Re: Summer Associate Class of 2015: Get on In

Postby FSK » Sat May 02, 2015 9:35 am

brotherdarkness wrote:
shifty_eyed wrote:
brotherdarkness wrote:I'm back, bitches!


Tell us how to SA.


Be the cog. This is the path to 190

User avatar
lawhopeful10
Posts: 984
Joined: Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:29 pm

Re: Summer Associate Class of 2015: Get on In

Postby lawhopeful10 » Sat May 02, 2015 9:59 am

Summering at a smaller firm in a secondary market where they said the summer is like an 8 week interview process so I may or may not get an offer. Not biglaw money but still more than I've ever made. Am I cool enough to be in this thread. Also I think I'm gonna go in assuming I won't get an offer that way if it doesn't happen I won't be disappointed.

FSK
Posts: 6345
Joined: Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:47 pm

Re: Summer Associate Class of 2015: Get on In

Postby FSK » Sat May 02, 2015 10:00 am

lawhopeful10 wrote:Summering at a smaller firm in a secondary market where they said the summer is like an 8 week interview process so I may or may not get an offer. Not biglaw money but still more than I've ever made. Am I cool enough to be in this thread. Also I think I'm gonna go in assuming I won't get an offer that way if it doesn't happen I won't be disappointed.


My firm isn't 100% offer too. You're cool enough, haha

User avatar
brotherdarkness
Posts: 3254
Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:11 pm

Re: Summer Associate Class of 2015: Get on In

Postby brotherdarkness » Sat May 02, 2015 10:02 am

goden wrote:I bet it's slack or sublime lol


It's not.

flawschoolkid wrote:
brotherdarkness wrote:
shifty_eyed wrote:
brotherdarkness wrote:I'm back, bitches!


Tell us how to SA.


Be the cog. This is the path to 190


Use brackets to indicate your modification of my post. Thanks.

sweeteavodka
Posts: 35
Joined: Mon Aug 04, 2014 2:11 pm

Re: Summer Associate Class of 2015: Get on In

Postby sweeteavodka » Sat May 02, 2015 10:11 am

I'm praying this is real.

User avatar
Cobretti
Posts: 2560
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:45 am

Re: Summer Associate Class of 2015: Get on In

Postby Cobretti » Sat May 02, 2015 10:26 am

BD what are acceptable tie colors to immediately exert my dominance over my fellow SAs on day one?

User avatar
brotherdarkness
Posts: 3254
Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:11 pm

Re: Summer Associate Class of 2015: Get on In

Postby brotherdarkness » Sat May 02, 2015 10:32 am

Cobretti wrote:BD what are acceptable tie colors to immediately exert my dominance over my fellow SAs on day one?


Don't wear a tie on day one. Be better than that.

FSK
Posts: 6345
Joined: Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:47 pm

Re: Summer Associate Class of 2015: Get on In

Postby FSK » Sat May 02, 2015 10:33 am

brotherdarkness wrote:
Cobretti wrote:BD what are acceptable tie colors to immediately exert my dominance over my fellow SAs on day one?


Don't wear a tie on day one. Be better than that.


So bowtie, or notie?

User avatar
Cobretti
Posts: 2560
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:45 am

Re: Summer Associate Class of 2015: Get on In

Postby Cobretti » Sat May 02, 2015 10:34 am

brotherdarkness wrote:
Cobretti wrote:BD what are acceptable tie colors to immediately exert my dominance over my fellow SAs on day one?


Don't wear a tie on day one. Be better than that.

Bow tie?

Scooped on my own troll job... :x

User avatar
brotherdarkness
Posts: 3254
Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:11 pm

Re: Summer Associate Class of 2015: Get on In

Postby brotherdarkness » Sat May 02, 2015 10:50 am

flawschoolkid wrote:
brotherdarkness wrote:
Cobretti wrote:BD what are acceptable tie colors to immediately exert my dominance over my fellow SAs on day one?


Don't wear a tie on day one. Be better than that.


So bowtie, or notie?


A bow tie tie should not be worn without a tux.

Brooks Brothers extra slim shirt, top two buttons undone, white v-neck underneath (don't wear a crew neck). No tie. No bow tie. No bolo tie.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.