Summer Associate Class of 2015

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
bonerjamz

Re: Summer Associate Class of 2015: Get on In

Postby bonerjamz » Sun May 17, 2015 4:04 pm

Starting tomorrow. Terrified. Hoping I can suppress my asperger's.

anyriotgirl

Postby anyriotgirl » Sun May 17, 2015 4:16 pm

Thrive wrote:So I just noticed I forgot my bluebook and won't be getting it until about a week into the SA. Any issues that I might face accordingly?

your firm probably has extras in its library

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun May 17, 2015 4:17 pm

For everyone who finished up the week already: What were normal acceptable hours? How did you know when it was ok to leave?

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Sun May 17, 2015 4:21 pm

bonerjamz wrote:Starting tomorrow. Terrified. Hoping I can suppress my asperger's.

I think you'll be just fine, bonerjamz

lhanvt13

Postby lhanvt13 » Sun May 17, 2015 4:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:For everyone who finished up the week already: What were normal acceptable hours? How did you know when it was ok to leave?

I heard wlrk works you like a full time associate. Jesus Christ.

relative

Postby relative » Sun May 17, 2015 4:55 pm

x
Last edited by relative on Mon May 18, 2015 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lawhopeful10

Postby lawhopeful10 » Sun May 17, 2015 5:54 pm

Next week I'm going to court three days in a row to watch a case be tried. I only have my navy suit and I was just going to mix in ties and shirts but wear the same suit. Someone told me it would look weird to wear the same suit three days in a row so now I'm feeling a little self conscious about it. Will anyone notice. I'm guessing either way I should probably get a second suit soon.

Postby 2014 » Sun May 17, 2015 5:54 pm

If you have nothing to do you should leave at 5 or 5:30, no one is going to care that you left or be impressed you stuck around.

skers

Postby skers » Sun May 17, 2015 6:19 pm

2014 wrote:If you have nothing to do you should leave at 5 or 5:30, no one is going to care that you left or be impressed you stuck around.

Yeah, 5 should be your default. 4:30 will work at some places too when you just want to start happy hour early.

Capitol_Idea

Postby Capitol_Idea » Sun May 17, 2015 6:23 pm

lawhopeful10 wrote:Next week I'm going to court three days in a row to watch a case be tried. I only have my navy suit and I was just going to mix in ties and shirts but wear the same suit. Someone told me it would look weird to wear the same suit three days in a row so now I'm feeling a little self conscious about it. Will anyone notice. I'm guessing either way I should probably get a second suit soon.

I would snag something charcoal gray off the rack at like Macy's or similar for right now and get thee to a tailor promptly for a good long term suit. Have at least 3 - and if your firm is a little more casual then you can possibly mix in some sports coats and nice slacks.

No idea if they'll really notice or care but it's good to have a couple suits to rotate through - but then again I have like 7 and easily that many sports coats so I might just like playing dress up too much :P

FSK

Postby FSK » Sun May 17, 2015 7:17 pm

What the hell 7 sport coats do you have? Navy is great, blue is reasonable, and then the amount I like sport coats drops off like a fat goose of a roof.

lawhopeful10

Postby lawhopeful10 » Sun May 17, 2015 7:22 pm

I have a lot of sport coats too but getting suits seems much more involved and expensive haha.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun May 17, 2015 7:42 pm

Only one to order a drink at firm dinner. People had talked about getting drinks, waitress asked me first, I went for it thinking others would follow suit. Nobody did. Other summers loudly asked how the drink was a bunch of times.

No offer?

Postby 2014 » Sun May 17, 2015 7:46 pm

That's legit douchey as hell of the other summers, you won't get judged though by anyone who matters

TTTooKewl

Postby TTTooKewl » Sun May 17, 2015 7:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Only one to order a drink at firm dinner. People had talked about getting drinks, waitress asked me first, I went for it thinking others would follow suit. Nobody did. Other summers loudly asked how the drink was a bunch of times.

No offer?

out the firm

smaug

Postby smaug » Sun May 17, 2015 7:58 pm

I too respond to obvious flame.

lhanvt13

Postby lhanvt13 » Sun May 17, 2015 8:51 pm

Best drink to order for chance at offer: Long Island double or sex on the beach

WhiteyCakes

Postby WhiteyCakes » Sun May 17, 2015 8:53 pm

lhanvt13 wrote:Best drink to order for chance at offer: Long Island double or sex on the beach

Cosmo...

rpupkin

Postby rpupkin » Sun May 17, 2015 9:13 pm

lawhopeful10 wrote:Next week I'm going to court three days in a row to watch a case be tried. I only have my navy suit and I was just going to mix in ties and shirts but wear the same suit. Someone told me it would look weird to wear the same suit three days in a row so now I'm feeling a little self conscious about it. Will anyone notice. I'm guessing either way I should probably get a second suit soon.

Look, if you were a lawyer on the trial team, you wouldn't want to wear the same suit three days in a row. But as a summer associate observing in the court room, your plan to mix in ties and shirts is more than adequate. It's unlikely anyone will notice that you're wearing the same suit—they've got other things to worry about, believe me. And if anyone does notice, they won't care at all.

Zach is right that you should have multiple suits. But there's no need to go out of your way to go suit shopping right now. You're fine.
Last edited by rpupkin on Sun May 17, 2015 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rpupkin

Postby rpupkin » Sun May 17, 2015 9:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Only one to order a drink at firm dinner. People had talked about getting drinks, waitress asked me first, I went for it thinking others would follow suit. Nobody did. Other summers loudly asked how the drink was a bunch of times.

No offer?

I think a no offer is possible......for all those aspie summers who declined to order a drink. Passing up free booze shows poor judgment.

UpandDown97

Postby UpandDown97 » Sun May 17, 2015 9:22 pm

rpupkin wrote:

Look, if you were a lawyer on the trial team, you wouldn't want to wear the same suit three days in a row. But as a summer associate observing in the court room, your plan to mix in ties and shirts is more than adequate. It's unlikely anyone will notice that you're wearing the same suit—they've got other things to worry about, believe me. And if anyone does notice, they won't care at all.

Zach is right that you should have multiple suits. But there's no need to go out of your way to go suit shopping right now. You're fine.

Do some firms have specific trial teams? How does that work?

Maybe something I can find out during my SA down the road.

rpupkin

Postby rpupkin » Sun May 17, 2015 9:26 pm

UpandDown97 wrote:
rpupkin wrote:

Do some firms have specific trial teams? How does that work?

A "trial team" means "a group of lawyers at your firm going to trial." Usually the team consists of the lawyers who have been working on the case for months or years, plus sometimes a talented trial lawyer at your firm who gets thrown into the mix at the last minute.

JohannDeMann

Postby JohannDeMann » Sun May 17, 2015 9:29 pm

rpupkin wrote:

I agree with this. No partner is going to notice what you are wearing as long as you look professional. But getting a $400 suit from Macy's isn't really that hard seeing as how you can get it Monday after work at 5. So, I don't think it's a big deal but I also think you could cop a suit pretty easily.

JohannDeMann

Postby JohannDeMann » Sun May 17, 2015 9:32 pm

rpupkin wrote:

No offer?

I think a no offer is possible......for all those aspie summers who declined to order a drink. Passing up free booze shows poor judgment.

Yah that's fucked of them. As long as you took their lame jokes in stride and good fun, you'll be fine. Sounds like partners were not there.
This got done to me at a client dinner. Everyone said this place has great margaritas. Ordered a margarita first no one followed suit - it was fine.

Single-Malt-Liquor

Postby Single-Malt-Liquor » Sun May 17, 2015 9:45 pm

Checking in: staring tomorrow. Ready to be above average and then cold accept my offer.

J/k

But seriously thinking about using a 40oz as a paperweight this summer

Return to “Legal Employment”