Summer Associate Class of 2015

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
ClubberLang
Posts: 206
Joined: Wed May 23, 2012 11:34 am

Re: Summer Associate Class of 2015: Get on In

Postby ClubberLang » Wed May 13, 2015 12:27 pm

Calvin Murphy wrote:
lhanvt13 wrote:
rpupkin wrote:
lhanvt13 wrote:How do I assert dominance over my fellow summer classmates on my first day? Is it TCR to compare LSAT scores

Show your fellow summers pics of your hot girlfriend, who may or may not be a paid escort.

How much should I pay for my escort? All out balls out because $$$ummer? Also, should said escort be oriental ethnic or WASP?


TCR anywhere that pays market or just below market.

Ethnicity, however, is very firm-dependent.


What is market rate for a LEGITIMATE escort in NYC?

User avatar
rahulg91
Posts: 349
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:30 pm

Re: Summer Associate Class of 2015: Get on In

Postby rahulg91 » Wed May 13, 2015 12:30 pm

ClubberLang wrote:
What is market rate for a LEGITIMATE escort in NYC?


190k.

User avatar
Capitol_Idea
Posts: 10678
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:54 am

Re: Summer Associate Class of 2015: Get on In

Postby Capitol_Idea » Wed May 13, 2015 12:35 pm

Suit color questions (Sorry to continue this theme):

1. Black, Navy Blue, Dark Gray, Blue pinstripe - I assume these are uncontroversial suit colors?

2. Dark Brown - Too seventies? It's a standard/recent style but not sure if it's acceptable for the office.

3. Light Gray - I used to wear this with white shirt/pink tie. I think that's out for a DC V10 but is there any color combo that can make light gray acceptable?

4. Any other suit colors/styles I should consider going for? I think I have the basics - trying to figure out where to branch out from here.

User avatar
JohannDeMann
Posts: 13831
Joined: Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:25 pm

Re: Summer Associate Class of 2015: Get on In

Postby JohannDeMann » Wed May 13, 2015 12:39 pm

You have plenty of suits - no need for more branching out. Light gray with white shirt and any traditional color tie is going to be fine.

User avatar
lhanvt13
Posts: 2379
Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:59 am

Re: Summer Associate Class of 2015: Get on In

Postby lhanvt13 » Wed May 13, 2015 1:04 pm

zacharus85 wrote:Suit color questions (Sorry to continue this theme):

1. Black, Navy Blue, Dark Gray, Blue pinstripe - I assume these are uncontroversial suit colors?

2. Dark Brown - Too seventies? It's a standard/recent style but not sure if it's acceptable for the office.

3. Light Gray - I used to wear this with white shirt/pink tie. I think that's out for a DC V10 but is there any color combo that can make light gray acceptable?

4. Any other suit colors/styles I should consider going for? I think I have the basics - trying to figure out where to branch out from here.

Navy blue + charcoal is all you need really. Charcoal/dark grey with light pastel colored shirt. /r/malefashionadvice has examples

User avatar
cookiejar1
Posts: 834
Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:07 am

Re: Summer Associate Class of 2015: Get on In

Postby cookiejar1 » Wed May 13, 2015 2:33 pm

When is everyone getting their first paycheck and how TTT will it be for me to pay for bottle service on a debit card?

User avatar
lhanvt13
Posts: 2379
Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:59 am

Re: Summer Associate Class of 2015: Get on In

Postby lhanvt13 » Wed May 13, 2015 2:44 pm

cookiejar1 wrote:When is everyone getting their first paycheck and how TTT will it be for me to pay for bottle service on a debit card?

Bill it to the firm you nit.

First paycheck: may1

User avatar
chuckbass
Posts: 9957
Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2011 9:29 pm

Re: Summer Associate Class of 2015: Get on In

Postby chuckbass » Wed May 13, 2015 2:45 pm

cookiejar1 wrote:When is everyone getting their first paycheck and how TTT will it be for me to pay for bottle service on a debit card?

My firm gives us an advance, which is greatly appreciated.

User avatar
Calvin Murphy
Posts: 257
Joined: Fri Nov 15, 2013 1:58 am

Re: Summer Associate Class of 2015: Get on In

Postby Calvin Murphy » Wed May 13, 2015 3:15 pm

zacharus85 wrote:Suit color questions (Sorry to continue this theme):

1. Black, Navy Blue, Dark Gray, Blue pinstripe - I assume these are uncontroversial suit colors?

2. Dark Brown - Too seventies? It's a standard/recent style but not sure if it's acceptable for the office.

3. Light Gray - I used to wear this with white shirt/pink tie. I think that's out for a DC V10 but is there any color combo that can make light gray acceptable?

4. Any other suit colors/styles I should consider going for? I think I have the basics - trying to figure out where to branch out from here.


Well you've got enough suits...but...being in DC in the summer and all...have you thought about a pastel seersucker?

User avatar
logdog
Posts: 129
Joined: Mon Nov 03, 2014 10:22 am

Re: Summer Associate Class of 2015: Get on In

Postby logdog » Wed May 13, 2015 3:24 pm

You'll need a nice pair of white bucks too.

User avatar
MCFC
Posts: 8499
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:46 pm

Re: Summer Associate Class of 2015: Get on In

Postby MCFC » Wed May 13, 2015 8:13 pm

Starting soon, nice article to set the mood. http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/ ... -law-firms

User avatar
sinfiery
Posts: 3308
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:55 am

Re: Summer Associate Class of 2015: Get on In

Postby sinfiery » Wed May 13, 2015 8:37 pm

MCFC wrote:Starting soon, nice article to set the mood. http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/ ... -law-firms

Image

Look's like too many lazy partners not doing shit.

Kick them out and use that excess cash to push NYC to 190k!

FSK
Posts: 6339
Joined: Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:47 pm

Re: Summer Associate Class of 2015: Get on In

Postby FSK » Wed May 13, 2015 9:05 pm

sinfiery wrote:
MCFC wrote:Starting soon, nice article to set the mood. http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/ ... -law-firms

Image

Look's like too many lazy partners not doing shit.

Kick them out and use that excess cash to push NYC to 190k!


I'm just going to assume these are all boomers senior partners who haven't been shown the door.

User avatar
Capitol_Idea
Posts: 10678
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:54 am

Re: Summer Associate Class of 2015: Get on In

Postby Capitol_Idea » Wed May 13, 2015 9:45 pm

This legal profession thing's just gotta hold it together another decade so our group can make bank and get out before any big changes come along.

User avatar
Cobretti
Posts: 2560
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:45 am

Re: Summer Associate Class of 2015: Get on In

Postby Cobretti » Wed May 13, 2015 10:02 pm

zacharus85 wrote:This legal profession thing's just gotta hold it together another decade so our group can make bank and get out before any big changes come along.

can we say 15 years? gotta bank a few years of dat equity

User avatar
lawhopeful10
Posts: 984
Joined: Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:29 pm

Re: Summer Associate Class of 2015: Get on In

Postby lawhopeful10 » Wed May 13, 2015 10:21 pm

It's only been 3 days and I'm already realizing how big I need to do it 3L year before the real world hits. It's depressing to leave the office and see basically every lawyer still there.

User avatar
nsideirish
Posts: 416
Joined: Sun Dec 13, 2009 10:32 am

Re: Summer Associate Class of 2015: Get on In

Postby nsideirish » Wed May 13, 2015 11:08 pm

This is going to probably be a dumb question--but here we go:

Firm I'm working at is business casual. They told us to 'keep a suit in the office' in case we unexpectedly are asked to go to court or attend a client meeting. But, what does this exactly mean? Like just a sport coat and a tie? Or a full on suit? If the latter, are we expected to change our whole outfit (assuming the pants we are wearing doesn't match our suit jacket) in our office/bathroom or something before attending court/client meeting? Any help here?

User avatar
lhanvt13
Posts: 2379
Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:59 am

Re: Summer Associate Class of 2015: Get on In

Postby lhanvt13 » Wed May 13, 2015 11:16 pm

nsideirish wrote:This is going to probably be a dumb question--but here we go:

Firm I'm working at is business casual. They told us to 'keep a suit in the office' in case we unexpectedly are asked to go to court or attend a client meeting. But, what does this exactly mean? Like just a sport coat and a tie? Or a full on suit? If the latter, are we expected to change our whole outfit (assuming the pants we are wearing doesn't match our suit jacket) in our office/bathroom or something before attending court/client meeting? Any help here?

User avatar
JohannDeMann
Posts: 13831
Joined: Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:25 pm

Re: Summer Associate Class of 2015: Get on In

Postby JohannDeMann » Wed May 13, 2015 11:24 pm

nsideirish wrote:This is going to probably be a dumb question--but here we go:

Firm I'm working at is business casual. They told us to 'keep a suit in the office' in case we unexpectedly are asked to go to court or attend a client meeting. But, what does this exactly mean? Like just a sport coat and a tie? Or a full on suit? If the latter, are we expected to change our whole outfit (assuming the pants we are wearing doesn't match our suit jacket) in our office/bathroom or something before attending court/client meeting? Any help here?


You should have a closet to hanga full suit. I would keep a suit in the office. A sport coat on top of some non-matching pants is not a suit. You can change inthe bathroom or your office if you aren't sharing and dont have see through offices.

User avatar
Robb
Posts: 315
Joined: Fri Feb 14, 2014 10:21 pm

Re: Summer Associate Class of 2015: Get on In

Postby Robb » Wed May 13, 2015 11:56 pm

JohannDeMann wrote:
nsideirish wrote:This is going to probably be a dumb question--but here we go:

Firm I'm working at is business casual. They told us to 'keep a suit in the office' in case we unexpectedly are asked to go to court or attend a client meeting. But, what does this exactly mean? Like just a sport coat and a tie? Or a full on suit? If the latter, are we expected to change our whole outfit (assuming the pants we are wearing doesn't match our suit jacket) in our office/bathroom or something before attending court/client meeting? Any help here?


You should have a closet to hanga full suit. I would keep a suit in the office. A sport coat on top of some non-matching pants is not a suit. You can change inthe bathroom or your office if you aren't sharing and dont have see through offices.

I quite enjoyed the fact that you thought it was necessary to clarify this part. Then again, I would probably be the guy to undress and change in a shared/see through office.

BigZuck
Posts: 10853
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:53 am

Re: Summer Associate Class of 2015: Get on In

Postby BigZuck » Wed May 13, 2015 11:58 pm

For people who have started, are you guys sharing offices?

Also, how's the food so far?

FSK
Posts: 6339
Joined: Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:47 pm

Re: Summer Associate Class of 2015: Get on In

Postby FSK » Thu May 14, 2015 8:23 am

Im bringing my lunch today since nothing is planned and food trucks arent appealing. Its home made chicken noodle soup (stock was homemade too). No offer?

BigZuck
Posts: 10853
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:53 am

Re: Summer Associate Class of 2015: Get on In

Postby BigZuck » Thu May 14, 2015 8:45 am

flawschoolkid wrote:food trucks arent appealing.

Troll

User avatar
jbagelboy
Posts: 9635
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:57 pm

Re: Summer Associate Class of 2015: Get on In

Postby jbagelboy » Thu May 14, 2015 8:46 am

lawhopeful10 wrote:It's only been 3 days and I'm already realizing how big I need to do it 3L year before the real world hits. It's depressing to leave the office and see basically every lawyer still there.


So much this tho

FSK
Posts: 6339
Joined: Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:47 pm

Re: Summer Associate Class of 2015: Get on In

Postby FSK » Thu May 14, 2015 8:47 am

BigZuck wrote:
flawschoolkid wrote:food trucks arent appealing.

Troll


I cook pretty well, but also troll




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.