Summer Associate Class of 2015

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
BigZuck

Re: Summer Associate Class of 2015: Get on In

Postby BigZuck » Tue May 12, 2015 1:24 am

jselson wrote:This thread has literally been 11 pages of people worrying about whether suits are okay for first day.

Please, just stop.

(doesn't get it)

Hey no, but seriously. We need someone to George Huey's Lennie.

YOUR MOVE SUBLIME

J9ofDiamonds

Postby J9ofDiamonds » Tue May 12, 2015 1:33 am

JohannDeMann wrote:
relative wrote:The discussion itt makes me glad I'm going to a formal firm. Although it sucks having to buy a few suits & wear them in the heat, it makes things so easy. If I were at a bis cas firm, and they made that explicit, I'd wear bis cas first day though...

you can't cognitive dissonance your way to this. it's more expensive working at a formal firm and it sucks balls putting on a tie everyday, wearing your top button buttoned, and wearing a coat in summer heat. there's no worry about what to do first day - either suit or no suit is fine at biz cash.

lol ikr. "I'm so glad my firm is formal! Not having to worry about a nearly meaningless day one detail is definitely worth wearing a suit for 3 years."

relative

Postby relative » Tue May 12, 2015 1:59 am

x
Last edited by relative on Thu Dec 03, 2015 3:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

goden

Postby goden » Tue May 12, 2015 2:10 am

Jesus stfu about this suit shit lol

Capitol_Idea

Postby Capitol_Idea » Tue May 12, 2015 2:11 am

jselson wrote:This thread has literally been 11 pages of people worrying about whether suits are okay for first day.

Please, just stop.
you're right - let's just get right to the 11 pages of people freaking out about whether or not they'll get an offer.

jselson

Postby jselson » Tue May 12, 2015 2:22 am

zacharus85 wrote:

Please, just stop.
you're right - let's just get right to the 11 pages of people freaking out about whether or not they'll get an offer.

11 pages would probably be slim.

As a proper dress shirt should be.

Other25BeforeYou

Postby Other25BeforeYou » Tue May 12, 2015 7:41 am

JohannDeMann wrote:I'm not that knowledgeable about law firms but seems weird to me to have a named partner of a firm and the global partner at a small happy hour. Just lots of inconsistent shit. After a year, I've never seen a named partner, global partner, or even office partner at an event let alone a small cocktail hour. I've probably spent less than 5 minutes total talking to just my group's rainmaker partners about things not dealing with work. And I've never talked to any of them outside of the office. Actually one took me to lunch one day, but that's more of what I mean. Global partner also seems weird/sounds weird since there are like 5 global law firms.

It really depends on the firm. I used to work at a secondary (tertiary?) market biglaw firm and went to happy hour with the rainmaker in my group about once a week. Frequently would get drinks with other partners who were big deals, and would see the managing partner at happy hours as well. I don't know what a "global partner" is, but jumping to saying this person has a "job you really shouldn't care that much about losing" just because their firm is different from yours is silly.

threecharacters

Postby threecharacters » Tue May 12, 2015 8:11 am

Females: to wear pantyhose or not? I'm going with not because it's too damn hot outside and they're uncomfortable, but is it too informal? I plan on wearing skirts and dresses all summer.

FSK

Postby FSK » Tue May 12, 2015 8:17 am

It was lovely. Firm is global. Youre all fucking stupid.

Im all stupid, admittedly.

arklaw13

Postby arklaw13 » Tue May 12, 2015 9:54 am

The coffee is good so far

shifty_eyed

Postby shifty_eyed » Tue May 12, 2015 10:15 am

threecharacters wrote:Females: to wear pantyhose or not? I'm going with not because it's too damn hot outside and they're uncomfortable, but is it too informal? I plan on wearing skirts and dresses all summer.

I'm not either.

Monochromatic Oeuvre

Postby Monochromatic Oeuvre » Tue May 12, 2015 10:28 am

zacharus85 wrote:

Please, just stop.

Uh, I alone will fill 11 pages of insecure neuroses about this. That's only like a page a week. I'll also start a couple threads every week that will say things like "Memo had comma instead of semicolon, noofferpwned?"

PvblivsScipio

Postby PvblivsScipio » Tue May 12, 2015 11:18 am

goden wrote:Jesus stfu about this suit shit lol

But the GLOBAL partner might notice I'm not wearing a suit.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue May 12, 2015 11:24 am

you can't cognitive dissonance your way to this. it's more expensive working at a formal firm and it sucks balls putting on a tie everyday, wearing your top button buttoned, and wearing a coat in summer heat. there's no worry about what to do first day - either suit or no suit is fine at biz cash.

You should still be wearing a tie at a biz casual firm though.

seizmaar

Postby seizmaar » Tue May 12, 2015 11:26 am

are pantyhose more or less annoying than wearing a necktie?

rahulg91

Postby rahulg91 » Tue May 12, 2015 11:28 am

Sorry to derail this riveting office style dialogue, but I have a question regarding office etiquette. If I could get some feedback from current associates it would be swell. If I have questions on an assignments, would it be less annoying to just shoot an email and chill out and wait for a response or just drop by associate's office and holla?

TIA

FSK

Postby FSK » Tue May 12, 2015 11:34 am

Anonymous User wrote:

You should still be wearing a tie at a biz casual firm though.

Anon abuse. Also likely wrong in many offices. But right in some.

Cobretti

Postby Cobretti » Tue May 12, 2015 11:36 am

relative wrote:
J9ofDiamonds wrote:
JohannDeMann wrote:
relative wrote:The discussion itt makes me glad I'm going to a formal firm. Although it sucks having to buy a few suits & wear them in the heat, it makes things so easy. If I were at a bis cas firm, and they made that explicit, I'd wear bis cas first day though...

lol ikr. "I'm so glad my firm is formal! Not having to worry about a nearly meaningless day one detail is definitely worth wearing a suit for 3 years."

I definitely worded that too strongly with "I'm glad" but, really, wearing a suit isn't a big deal whatsoever aside from when it's hot. I wore a suit everyday for 4 years pre-LS so its second-nature.

Lots of people in the military like wearing the same uniform every day, its not crazy. For lots of people it helps them click into work mode.

JohannDeMann

Postby JohannDeMann » Tue May 12, 2015 11:39 am

rahulg91 wrote:Sorry to derail this riveting office style dialogue, but I have a question regarding office etiquette. If I could get some feedback from current associates it would be swell. If I have questions on an assignments, would it be less annoying to just shoot an email and chill out and wait for a response or just drop by associate's office and holla?

TIA

If it's an associate, swing by their office and ask if they have a minute.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue May 12, 2015 11:40 am

Same anon as above. How is that anon abuse? I just don't want anyone knowing who I am. Sorry, but claiming anon abuse every time an anon posts something contrary to another post does not constitute abuse.

And to defend the tie in business casual, I was also told that when dressing biz cas you start as if you were dressing formal and remove what you need to in order to look casual but be ready to go at a moments notice if you need formal. I've always worn a tie during biz casual and assumed thats how the world worked, my bad.

Desert Fox
Progressively loosing literacy

DFTHREAD

Postby Desert Fox » Tue May 12, 2015 11:41 am

fobstory.jpeg
Last edited by Desert Fox on Thu Jan 07, 2016 5:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Desert Fox
Progressively loosing literacy

DFTHREAD

Postby Desert Fox » Tue May 12, 2015 11:42 am

fobstory.jpeg
Last edited by Desert Fox on Thu Jan 07, 2016 5:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

maitreya

Postby maitreya » Tue May 12, 2015 11:43 am

How acceptable is it to take two half days off for doctor's appointments? Summer gig is unpaid, if that is relevant.

JohannDeMann

Postby JohannDeMann » Tue May 12, 2015 11:46 am

maitreya wrote:How acceptable is it to take two half days off for doctor's appointments? Summer gig is unpaid, if that is relevant.

yeah that's fine.

Anastasia Dee Dualla

Postby Anastasia Dee Dualla » Tue May 12, 2015 12:05 pm

rahulg91 wrote:Sorry to derail this riveting office style dialogue, but I have a question regarding office etiquette. If I could get some feedback from current associates it would be swell. If I have questions on an assignments, would it be less annoying to just shoot an email and chill out and wait for a response or just drop by associate's office and holla?

TIA

I prefer it when people stop by because I get eleventy billion emails and it is nice to have human interaction.

Return to “Legal Employment”