Summer Associate Class of 2015

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
User avatar
sublime
Posts: 15396
Joined: Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:21 pm

Re: Summer Associate Class of 2015: Get on In

Postby sublime » Mon May 11, 2015 7:45 pm

..

User avatar
sublime
Posts: 15396
Joined: Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:21 pm

Re: Summer Associate Class of 2015: Get on In

Postby sublime » Mon May 11, 2015 7:47 pm

..

User avatar
rpupkin
Posts: 3864
Joined: Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:32 pm

Re: Summer Associate Class of 2015: Get on In

Postby rpupkin » Mon May 11, 2015 7:52 pm

sublime wrote:First day today. A lot of orientation stuff but loved the firm. I know much of it is probably recruiting, but goddamned if I don't love my chair.


Dude, you're ignoring the key question: did most of the SAs suit up?

User avatar
sublime
Posts: 15396
Joined: Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:21 pm

Re: Summer Associate Class of 2015: Get on In

Postby sublime » Mon May 11, 2015 7:53 pm

..

User avatar
WokeUpInACar
Posts: 5513
Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:11 pm

Re: Summer Associate Class of 2015: Get on In

Postby WokeUpInACar » Mon May 11, 2015 8:04 pm

I am a firm believer in first day= suit up for nearly any professional job. There's just so little upside and quite a bit of downside if you underdress. And there's almost zero chance that you'll be the only one in a suit unless you've been told explicitly not to wear one.

User avatar
skers
Posts: 4950
Joined: Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:33 am

Re: Summer Associate Class of 2015: Get on In

Postby skers » Mon May 11, 2015 8:07 pm

If they tell you business casual, it's ok to wear business casual. It's not some weird psychological shell game. Just because you're around a bunch of belt and suspenders law students doesn't mean you can't just wear what you want to when the literal worst case scenario is you're just more comfortable than everyone else.
Last edited by skers on Mon May 11, 2015 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
2014
Posts: 5831
Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2010 3:53 pm

Re: Summer Associate Class of 2015: Get on In

Postby 2014 » Mon May 11, 2015 8:45 pm

Your first day is more than likely going to involve sitting in a conference room and/or a computer room and dipping out for a 2 hour lunch. You will encounter like two attorneys all day. Those attorneys will be wearing [whatever the firm's dress code is] and certainly will not give a fuck if you are wearing [whatever the firm's dress code is or better] so long as it isn't [egregiously formal]

There may be a parade through a few more attorney's offices and the over under on the amount that remember your name is 1.

FSK
Posts: 6339
Joined: Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:47 pm

Re: Summer Associate Class of 2015: Get on In

Postby FSK » Mon May 11, 2015 9:03 pm

Had my first day. Ended at small happy hour with office managing partners, global managing partner, and a name partner. Glad I had the suit.

User avatar
rpupkin
Posts: 3864
Joined: Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:32 pm

Re: Summer Associate Class of 2015: Get on In

Postby rpupkin » Mon May 11, 2015 9:11 pm

flawschoolkid wrote:Had my first day. Ended at small happy hour with office managing partners, global managing partner, and a name partner. Glad I had the suit.

lol

User avatar
skers
Posts: 4950
Joined: Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:33 am

Re: Summer Associate Class of 2015: Get on In

Postby skers » Mon May 11, 2015 9:12 pm

flawschoolkid wrote:Had my first day. Ended at small happy hour with office managing partners, global managing partner, and a name partner. Glad I had the suit.


No kidding--you would've been cruising for a no offer if you had the temerity to wear a button up shirt w/ those high stakes.

FSK
Posts: 6339
Joined: Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:47 pm

Re: Summer Associate Class of 2015: Get on In

Postby FSK » Mon May 11, 2015 9:13 pm

skers wrote:
flawschoolkid wrote:Had my first day. Ended at small happy hour with office managing partners, global managing partner, and a name partner. Glad I had the suit.


No kidding--you would've been cruising for a no offer if you had the temerity to wear a button up shirt w/ those high stakes.


Just like feeling not out of place. I'll earn my no offer through other petulance.

FSK
Posts: 6339
Joined: Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:47 pm

Re: Summer Associate Class of 2015: Get on In

Postby FSK » Mon May 11, 2015 9:15 pm

Desert Fox wrote:I didn't wear a suit day one. Was the only one not. But day 2 nobody was.

Day one of real associate. Df Learned his lesson. Wore a suit. Was the only one wearing one. Lol. Dat burgers


DF with the truly comforting wisdom. Just keep my burgers less than yours

User avatar
WokeUpInACar
Posts: 5513
Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:11 pm

Re: Summer Associate Class of 2015: Get on In

Postby WokeUpInACar » Mon May 11, 2015 9:17 pm

flawschoolkid wrote:
skers wrote:
flawschoolkid wrote:Had my first day. Ended at small happy hour with office managing partners, global managing partner, and a name partner. Glad I had the suit.


No kidding--you would've been cruising for a no offer if you had the temerity to wear a button up shirt w/ those high stakes.


Just like feeling not out of place. I'll earn my no offer through other petulance.

Exactly. It's all about just not having to worry about it, even though there is a miniscule chance that it will ever matter.

User avatar
2014
Posts: 5831
Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2010 3:53 pm

Re: Summer Associate Class of 2015: Get on In

Postby 2014 » Mon May 11, 2015 10:46 pm

flawschoolkid wrote:Had my first day. Ended at small happy hour with office managing partners, global managing partner, and a name partner. Glad I had the suit.

This sounds like a management/authority shit show waiting to happen

User avatar
JohannDeMann
Posts: 13830
Joined: Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:25 pm

Re: Summer Associate Class of 2015: Get on In

Postby JohannDeMann » Mon May 11, 2015 11:39 pm

2014 wrote:
flawschoolkid wrote:Had my first day. Ended at small happy hour with office managing partners, global managing partner, and a name partner. Glad I had the suit.

This sounds like a management/authority shit show waiting to happen


Any place you meet and interact with the GLOBAL managing partner and a name partner on day 1, is a job you really shouldn't care that much about losing. I can also guarantee it's not a global firm.

User avatar
J9ofDiamonds
Posts: 3367
Joined: Sun Mar 08, 2015 9:06 pm

Re: Summer Associate Class of 2015: Get on In

Postby J9ofDiamonds » Mon May 11, 2015 11:40 pm

WokeUpInACar wrote:
flawschoolkid wrote:
skers wrote:
flawschoolkid wrote:Had my first day. Ended at small happy hour with office managing partners, global managing partner, and a name partner. Glad I had the suit.


No kidding--you would've been cruising for a no offer if you had the temerity to wear a button up shirt w/ those high stakes.


Just like feeling not out of place. I'll earn my no offer through other petulance.

Exactly. It's all about just not having to worry about it, even though there is a miniscule chance that it will ever matter.


If the firm has a business casual culture, why do you want to clash with that on day one and suit up? I'm definitely not suiting up on day one, because I want to do my best to fit in at the firm.

User avatar
lhanvt13
Posts: 2379
Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:59 am

Re: Summer Associate Class of 2015: Get on In

Postby lhanvt13 » Mon May 11, 2015 11:51 pm

So... Suit pants + button up + no jacket = probably okay?

User avatar
WokeUpInACar
Posts: 5513
Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:11 pm

Re: Summer Associate Class of 2015: Get on In

Postby WokeUpInACar » Mon May 11, 2015 11:56 pm

I guess I just see day 1 as different and not that dissimilar from job interview attire. After that, obviously try to fit in, but it just seems very presumptive to me to walk in on the first day looking like everyone else who has been there for a long time. Clearly all of this is neurotic nit-picking anyway, but that's what we do.

BigZuck
Posts: 10852
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:53 am

Re: Summer Associate Class of 2015: Get on In

Postby BigZuck » Tue May 12, 2015 12:07 am

JohannDeMann wrote:
2014 wrote:
flawschoolkid wrote:Had my first day. Ended at small happy hour with office managing partners, global managing partner, and a name partner. Glad I had the suit.

This sounds like a management/authority shit show waiting to happen


Any place you meet and interact with the GLOBAL managing partner and a name partner on day 1, is a job you really shouldn't care that much about losing. I can also guarantee it's not a global firm.

Huey- would you mind expanding on this one?

Also, MODERATORS: PLEASE

relative
Posts: 11
Joined: Tue May 05, 2015 1:49 am

Re: Summer Associate Class of 2015: Get on In

Postby relative » Tue May 12, 2015 12:19 am

x
Last edited by relative on Thu Dec 03, 2015 3:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
JohannDeMann
Posts: 13830
Joined: Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:25 pm

Re: Summer Associate Class of 2015: Get on In

Postby JohannDeMann » Tue May 12, 2015 1:05 am

relative wrote:The discussion itt makes me glad I'm going to a formal firm. Although it sucks having to buy a few suits & wear them in the heat, it makes things so easy. If I were at a bis cas firm, and they made that explicit, I'd wear bis cas first day though...


you can't cognitive dissonance your way to this. it's more expensive working at a formal firm and it sucks balls putting on a tie everyday, wearing your top button buttoned, and wearing a coat in summer heat. there's no worry about what to do first day - either suit or no suit is fine at biz cash.

BigZuck
Posts: 10852
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:53 am

Re: Summer Associate Class of 2015: Get on In

Postby BigZuck » Tue May 12, 2015 1:12 am

BigZuck wrote:
JohannDeMann wrote:
2014 wrote:
flawschoolkid wrote:Had my first day. Ended at small happy hour with office managing partners, global managing partner, and a name partner. Glad I had the suit.

This sounds like a management/authority shit show waiting to happen


Any place you meet and interact with the GLOBAL managing partner and a name partner on day 1, is a job you really shouldn't care that much about losing. I can also guarantee it's not a global firm.

Huey- would you mind expanding on this one?
BUMP

Also:
BigZuck wrote:MODERATORS: PLEASE
BUMP

User avatar
jselson
Posts: 6337
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:51 am

Re: Summer Associate Class of 2015: Get on In

Postby jselson » Tue May 12, 2015 1:15 am

This thread has literally been 11 pages of people worrying about whether suits are okay for first day.

Please, just stop.

For those who have started, what's your cohort (right word?) like? Anything funny happen so far? What does the workload look like it'll be?

User avatar
JohannDeMann
Posts: 13830
Joined: Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:25 pm

Re: Summer Associate Class of 2015: Get on In

Postby JohannDeMann » Tue May 12, 2015 1:17 am

I'm not that knowledgeable about law firms but seems weird to me to have a named partner of a firm and the global partner at a small happy hour. Just lots of inconsistent shit. After a year, I've never seen a named partner, global partner, or even office partner at an event let alone a small cocktail hour. I've probably spent less than 5 minutes total talking to just my group's rainmaker partners about things not dealing with work. And I've never talked to any of them outside of the office. Actually one took me to lunch one day, but that's more of what I mean. Global partner also seems weird/sounds weird since there are like 5 global law firms.

User avatar
Cobretti
Posts: 2560
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:45 am

Re: Summer Associate Class of 2015: Get on In

Postby Cobretti » Tue May 12, 2015 1:19 am

BigZuck wrote:
BigZuck wrote:
JohannDeMann wrote:
2014 wrote:
flawschoolkid wrote:Had my first day. Ended at small happy hour with office managing partners, global managing partner, and a name partner. Glad I had the suit.

This sounds like a management/authority shit show waiting to happen


Any place you meet and interact with the GLOBAL managing partner and a name partner on day 1, is a job you really shouldn't care that much about losing. I can also guarantee it's not a global firm.

Huey- would you mind expanding on this one?
BUMP

Also:
BigZuck wrote:MODERATORS: PLEASE
BUMP

+1




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.